Terracan Diesel CDDi Towing

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 13:50
ThreadID: 29783 Views:5518 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

Been offered and exceptional deal on a new Hyundai Diesel Terracan and am very tempted. Have been looking for a 2nd hand one but there doesnt seem to be any around, if u know of any in Perth???. Would like to hear some updates from owners about how they are going especially towing and fuel consumption and reliability. Our horse float is nudging 2 tonne loaded. Also got offered a good deal on an 02 4.8 Patrol but the fuel is scaring me even with a gas conversion

Thanks...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: JustyWhyalla - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 14:57

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 14:57
The Hyundai's are great vehicle's.

The diesel has only been here a short time as Hyundai weren't willing to release it here until the sulphur content had been reduced to acceptable levels.

Definately get the upgraded suspension package available, makes a big difference. (Believe it is about a $2000 option but you can always try pushing for free or at a reduced price)

(Unless of course you plan to upgrade it with your own choice anyway!)
AnswerID: 149150

Reply By: Browser - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 15:14

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 15:14
Hi Zapper,

Probably not quite what you were looking for but after reading your post I thought I would check out the Terracan's towing specifications. Here is what they had on their web site:

"Towing capacity: Braked trailer 2500 kg with 5 occupants, 2000 kg with 7 occupants"

Now if I read that correctly they are suggesting that 2 extra occupants are equivalent to 500 kg's. That's 250 kg's each!!!!! They must be big boys and girls over there in South Korea!!!!

regards,

Browser.
AnswerID: 149152

Follow Up By: Gerhardp1 - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 19:57

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 19:57
My guess is that that would be because the 2 extra occupants place additional weight over the back axle of around 160-200kg. This in turn would reduce the allowable drawbar weight of the trailer which in turn would reduce the maximum trailer weight. Also the load rating of the tyres stays the same, so the total load on the vehicle must take account of the extra occupants. The reduced towing capacity would also apply if a 160-200kg load is carried in the rear rather than the 2 passengers.

Then again, the heavier the tow vehicle, the heavier the allowable trailer weight can be; because the "dog" is heavier so the "tail" can be heavier before the tail wags the dog. But this would only be realistic if the tyre load capacity is increased and the suspension load rating increased.

FollowupID: 402361

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 20:47

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 20:47
On the Astrel (Dealer fitted) towbar it states, and I quote;

Up to 5 Occupants, 2500 kg and 200 kg ball weight
6-7 Occupants, 2450 kg and 150 kg ball weight.

That is based on standard suspension.

With the TJM suspension upgrade on my Jerry I don't pay too much attention to ball weight as I have yet to see any significant drop. When I see some sag I might get the scales out.

Cheers,

Jim.
FollowupID: 402375

Reply By: Jimbo - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 15:37

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 15:37
Frank,

Check out our forum

www.terracan.australia4wd.com

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 149156

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 00:30

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 00:30
Jim you've been a bit quiet lately on the Terracan Forum. Missed your dulcet tones. But then I read you got stuck behind a van. LOL.

Hope you enjoyed the break.

Dunc.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 402770

Reply By: rocketsalad - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 19:08

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 19:08
Forget about the factory suspension upgrade. There are many others that are just as good if not better for half the cost. I just got a TJM suspension upgrade today for my Terracan. It was way cheaper than what Mr Hyundai can do.

rs
ps I also got a snorkle for it too today.
AnswerID: 149205

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 00:35

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 00:35
Zapper, I'm in Perth and we drag a double horse float and nag (4 legged variety). Got the petrol and It's a beaut. Wife uses it more than me and she finds towing a breaze. I had aftermarket Tough Dogs fitted with Polyairs, purly for the off road stuff I love to do. We never experienced any problems with the stock suspension. That maybe because our float is well balanced and maintained.

BTW my wife has been pinged twice going to shows and once got nabbed overtaking a car going up Greenmount Hill.

Yep the TC is a fantastic vehicle.

Dunc.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 149526

Follow Up By: Zapper - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 19:12

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 19:12
Thanks for that info, I am in Perth also, we live in the Hills so Greenmount would be a common place we would be towing. We are interested in the CRDi, from what I can gather they tow just as well as the petrol, dont suppose you know anyone in perth towing similar weights with the diesel? Its hard to get decent info, all the other dealers bag em and say oh no they will never pull that weight but there seems to be plenty of them that do and the CRDi specs are more powerfull than anything Nissan has on offer in Diesel patrols. We looked for a 2nd hand diesel but rare as hens teeth, the red book wholesale price for them doesnt look good (looked at one at a dealers last night) but I dont know where that info comes from cause every dealer I have spoken to has not seen a 2nd hand one yet so I cant see that it is that relevant

Cheers!
FollowupID: 402951

Reply By: Ants - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 16:16

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 16:16
All the bagging seems to come from people that don't know the vehicle and haven't had anything to do with them. But of course, if you go to a holden dealer they will bag the falcon, and vice versa...

I've got a petrol Terracan and have done a few mods to it. Great vehicle. MUCH better build quality than my old GU series 3 patrol.

Some people see the Hyundai name and go "Oh no, Korean cr@p". Well, their opinion of course.....but my experience is far from that. And my opinion is based on actual real world experience - not the biased, uninformed opinion of someone who has never driven a jerry :-)
AnswerID: 150575

Sponsored Links