GU Patrol Accessories

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 28, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 298 Views:2741 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have just taken delivery of a GU Patrol 3.0 Lt Turbo Diesel. This is a company vehicle and I have unlimited private use. I am new to 4WD and would appreciate any suggestions on fitting out this beast with bullbars, suspension etc keeping in mind I will have to hand this vehicle back in 4yrs and do not want to outlay too much from my own pocket.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Colin - Thursday, Jun 28, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 28, 2001 at 00:00
David,

I was in the same situation as you 18 months ago. (Except with a Jackaroo TDI). I took myself along to a 4WD training course and quickly followed that up with a couple of tag alongs. This taught me how to handle the vehicle, and also what was necessary versus nice to have. I felt that I wanted to make up my own mind rather than have salesmen tell me what I needed. I have subsequently joined a club as the bug has well and truly bitten and I can't get enough. Just take it easy on your pocket and invest wisely on what you need to do to enjoy your new toy.

Col
AnswerID: 701

Follow Up By: David Harrington - Friday, Jun 29, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 29, 2001 at 00:00
Colin,

Thanks for your response. I have booked in for some training and i will take your advice on board.

Thanks again.

Dave
FollowupID: 202

Reply By: Mike - Saturday, Jul 14, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Jul 14, 2001 at 00:00
Dave In my opinion: all terrain tyres, bullbar, sidesteps, UHF radio, snorkel, cargo barrier,custom drawers, fridge.
Bullbar & sidesteps push the scrub away from your paintwork.The steps also stop all sorts of flying rocks and protect your sills from ground damage from ruts.
Cargo barrier prevents the gas bottle from being surgically removed from the back of your head in a rollover or other accident. Allows you to pack up to the roof.
UHF radio helps you communicate to other road users in close proximity - essential for club trips or outings with friends.
Snorkel: you never know where you'll be when you need to cross a river or be stuck in floods etc. Some of the best 4wdriving is up in the high country with many river crossings required. Water sucked into a diesel can cost thousands to fix.
All terrain tyres have better grip (more aggressive tread) and tougher construction which make them better suited to offroad driving, less likely to puncture. Good on the highway too.
Custom drawers can be purchased or home made and eliminate stress on touring holidays as you spend less time moving boxes out of the car to get to your goodies.
The fridge is probably a luxury which enables you to take fresh food and bevvies on a trip. You can't really put a value on having a coldie or two at the end of a long day touring. Make sure you get one with a low voltage cutout. Waeco sell affordable, high performance fridges.
Suspension: probably not required. My Jackaroo has one of the lower ground clearances and will scrape it's underbelly on mountain washaways. There is plenty of protection down there though. But if you have a spare $1-2k feel free.
Twin batteries: depends on what your requirements are. Most people tend to fit them.
Most of the above equipment, bar the snorkel & suspension can easily be removed when you dispose of the car. You can readily sell bullbars etc second hand through your 4wd club or the classifieds (so make sure you keep the original bar). You can purchase this stuff progressively. Hope this helps. Regards, Mike.
AnswerID: 763

Follow Up By: David Harrington - Monday, Jul 16, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 16, 2001 at 00:00
Thanks for the time you have put into this comprehensive list. Definitely food for thought.

Dave
FollowupID: 228

Reply By: Colin - Monday, Jul 16, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 16, 2001 at 00:00
David,

Cost out Mike's response! I think it will blow you away. I have resisted going to that extreme so far, but have still spent in excess of $3,000, (please don't tell my wife). Like I said in a previous response do what you need to do to get the most out of your dollars, and enjoyment from your Nissan.
AnswerID: 769

Sponsored Links