Oziexplorer Misbehaving

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 18:54
ThreadID: 29800 Views:2485 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
OK all of the Oziexplore gurus out there, can any of you help please????

When I position a point on a map via a GPS reading, (or by any other method) the point is up to 1/2 to 1klm away from where it should be.

For example when I plot Sydney Harbour bridge the point ends up to the west of the bridge on the map and in the drink.

I have checked all of the datums and they seem to match so now I don't know where to go to from here. The help menu keeps referring me to 'Datums' so I am at a complete loss.

The maps I am using are already configured etc and I have used them before with complete accuracy, so something has changed but I do not know what.

Any and all help gratefully accepted and appreciated.

Regards

PT
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: arthurking83 - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 19:17

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 19:17
G'day Paul,

Just to be sure.....
Where did you set the Datums in Ozi?
Did you set it from the main window(under the toolbar), "Select Datum Display"?

Or did you set the GPS to Ozi Dtaum, in the Configuration->GPS...GPS upload/download datum and GPS NMEA datum?

The "Select Datum Display" is to set the datum to match the map dayum.
( I guess you already know that :/ )

The Config datum........well I guess you know that too!

If you post more info about what datum you're using on the GPS (99.99% of the time WGS84 is best!), what map your viewing in Ozi, and what datums you have set in both config uration and the mapping window.

It seems unlikely that Ozi would be having problems with such a small position error, but you never know!

I've been setting waypoints from the mapscreen on my Meridian, and using these to confirm calibrated map images positions.......never had a problem, (that wasn't a result of user input)

cheers.
AnswerID: 149208

Follow Up By: arthurking83 - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 19:19

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 19:19
If we can't figure the problem here....try over at GPSAus.

And download some of Festy's NSW maps....

..to be sure, to be sure...... :)
FollowupID: 402353

Reply By: Member - Paul T- Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 20:55

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 20:55
Arthur

Even when I go to the 'Names' function and type in for example 'Sydney Harbour' (which has no links to the GPS at all) the plot will show up somewhere to the west of the harbour bridge on the map.

The maps I am using are the NSW Topo and to date their configuration has been spot on.

The datum of the map is WGS 84 and Oziexplorer is set to WGS84 in the 'Configuration'.

Somehow and somewhere I must have changed something but it has me beat what it is I have done.

Cheers

PT
AnswerID: 149218

Reply By: GUMBO - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 21:26

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2006 at 21:26
Paul hope I am on the right track but some GPS units have a PCF -position correction factor which you can change and it will automatically add this to the position, if you accidentally changed this it may be putting your position out. I think it should normally be set at zero. hope this helps.
AnswerID: 149225

Reply By: arthurking83 - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 00:53

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 00:53
Hi again Paul,
I'd say go to GPSAus, and try to download the 9130_Sydney map.

If you can't download it, it'll be because you may need to have 10 posts (but I'm not 100% sure)

The other option is I could email you a map and Ozi map calibration file, for you to test, but I suspect it'll be the same??

I could send you some waypoints, to check against them!

What version of NSW topo's are you using, I find almost all Aussie maps will be AGD66 or GDA94 .......etc, not many in WGS84. (note WGS84 and AGD94 are the 'same')

Of course, you may already HAVE Festy's NSW topo maps which I think were made in WGS84!
What's the name of the "Sydney Harbour Bridge" map you have?

very strange!

I doubt there is a problem with the GPS!!

cheers.
AnswerID: 149284

Follow Up By: arthurking83 - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 01:08

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 01:08
Aha!

Is your problem associated with the waypoints from the "Name Search" function?

If so, you're not the only one (and now neither am I).
On my NSW 100K topo it looks like 1km west, but on the Auslig 250K, the error looks more like 10km west!!

Are your GPS waypoints lining up OK?

I have the "centre" of the SHB at 33.851976S/210.210645E as the position figures of "MY" waypoint. That'll be in AGD94(WGS84).
See if that is a closer approximation to the bridge.

I wouldn't worry about the NameSearch errors, they are only there to 'find' an approximation to what you are looking for!!

cheers.
FollowupID: 402440

Reply By: Member - Paul T- Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 07:07

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 07:07
Arthur

Thanks for the info. Your co-ordinates are spot on except for the easting; try 151 instead of 210.

The co-ordinates place the plot in the middle of the bridge and yes it is the 'Name, Search' function that is innacurate.

My manually entered points are OK too.

I wonder whether there is anywhere within Oziexplorer where the co-ordinates of the 'Names' can be edited?

Thanks for your help.
AnswerID: 149295

Follow Up By: arthurking83 - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 20:58

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 20:58
Quote:
"...Your co-ordinates are spot on except for the easting; try 151 instead of "

LOL!!
It was 1:30(something) AM!!

210° E !........good grief!

:)
FollowupID: 402719

Follow Up By: arthurking83 - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 21:25

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 21:25
Quote: (again)

"I wonder whether there is anywhere within Oziexplorer where the co-ordinates of the 'Names' can be edited?"

You can open "xxxxxx.names" file in the Name Search folder in the Oziexplorer installed directory, eg. ....Oziexplorer\Name Search

I would guess that Sydney Harbour Bridge would be in the NSW.names file??

Open with Notepad, but Wordpad (has nicer formatting), or whatever you fancy!

Find the listing of the place you want to edit...and edit!

I don't think it would be worth the effort though, and the error seems to be random, so it would be hard to "batch file" any errors out of the database!!

I suppose a new database may be in order??
FollowupID: 402730

Sponsored Links