GPSr a must have or??

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 12:39
ThreadID: 29833 Views:3067 Replies:19 FollowUps:53
This Thread has been Archived
Hi peeps,
My first post here and I must say the forum is a wealth of knowledge and advice.

Ok I am planning a around Aus trip and am debating wether or not a GPSr is a must mainly because of the price tags involved.

I need any advice for or against and if there is a way do do it that doesn't break the bank.

I have been looking at the flash and bluetooth plugins for my laptop as they seem to be reasonably price but am not sure if they will do what I want if I do go for a GPSr.

Thansk in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - TonyG (Qld) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 13:06

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 13:06
Hi,

Excuse my ignorance, but are you talking about a gps, or is a gpsr something different?

Thanks

TonyG
AnswerID: 149380

Follow Up By: Member - Jay Gee (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 13:14

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 13:14
Probably a typo
FollowupID: 402553

Follow Up By: bouncer - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 13:15

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 13:15
Hi TonyG,
Well most people think they are the same but infact a GPS is the system that allows a GPSr to receive the data it requires.

GPS is: Global Positioning System, A system of satellites, computers, and receivers that is able to determine the latitude and longitude of a receiver on Earth by calculating the time difference for signals from different satellites to reach the receiver.

GPSr is: The device that receives data from the above system and outputs it to the screen of that device.
FollowupID: 402554

Reply By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 13:19

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 13:19
bouncer

Whether its a must or not depends on where you intend to go.
If you intend to spend all of you time on main roads (sealed or dirt) then maps should be fine.
I run a flash GPS on my laptop. That way the GSP is powered via the laptop.
The drawback I guess is you need to purchase software for the laptop.
Up untill recent times we have been able to do without GPS, its just a little more convenient if you are heading to some out of the way places.

regards
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 149384

Follow Up By: bouncer - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 13:25

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 13:25
:) Hi Wim,
Thanks for your reply, yep intend on going to some out of the way places, so you are happy with the flash connected to the laptop ? Does it work just like the garmins etc if you have all the software and if so what flash gps and software are you using ?
FollowupID: 402557

Follow Up By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 13:55

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 13:55
bouncer

I started with an E-Map (garmin) but thought the flash was less cluttered.
Oziexplore software. GPSr (see old dogs can learn new tricks "r") is GlobalStar BC-307 (old model).
Still have the E-Map as a back-up or while out of the car.

The best thing about GPS is I seldom miss a turn now.

Regards
Camper setup
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 402573

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 15:01

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 15:01
Hi Boumcer, as a tour guide I find a mapping GPS really usefull for those times when people ask such questions as, how far are we from the coast, how far have we travelled today, how far to the next stop, or I wonder how far we are from home. They are handy devices yet I still have dozens of maps in my car. I have just updated my GPS so I have a Garmin eMap for sale if you or anyone else is interested less than a year old with car battery cable, box and instructions with home made dash mount. The Emap was state of the art when it came out and still avery useful bit of equipment. Open to offers. Cheers Rob

FollowupID: 402617

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 13:40

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 13:40
Hi Bouncer (Hello Wim & Judy) - I love maps (and do not have a GPS - yet) but it's way down my list of priorities because I love maps. So are you going off road - into the nigglies or just around Australia. I become very concerned that people spend their whole time looking into their beautifully set up computer on the dashboard with their GPS thingies (and DVD players etc for the tiddlies) and forget to look out the window and see the birds and plants. (Don't mind me, I'll get a real bagging from the regulars on here who know my feelings on this subject - especially those who have just such a set up in their vehicle).
AnswerID: 149385

Follow Up By: bouncer - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 13:49

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 13:49
:) Hi Ruth,
I love maps too, that is another reason I'm not sure if I will need a gps however some people I have spoken to have said that they are very useful with the right software to plain a trip and plot out your destinations, fuel stops and some of the software also includes places of interest that you might miss.

Yes we will be going off road not extreme off road but definitely 4WD territory and we will be looking out the window LOL that is the main reason we are doing the trip you can stick TV and DVD's our entertainment will be the panoramic outback and our TV Screen will be the windscreen of our vehicle.
FollowupID: 402569

Follow Up By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 14:02

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 14:02
Hi Ruth.

I will be our your way in May to meet up with that other Willem.
Judy and I will be out your way again in August. Not Birdsville but just down the road you.
I will let Judy know you said hello.
I hope all is well with you and Ian. Judy does like Birdsville very much so I guess it want belong untill we have an excuse to visit again soon.

Regards

Camper setup
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 402581

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 14:04

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 14:04
Ruth, I just know you like being around paper and would miss being near it and the people that shuffle paper too of course so the maps just demand attention. (giggling here) Have not seen you and Ian down this way for the cool change yet...

bouncer, there are heaps of explorers who have never seen a GPS and after them came the engineers who put in the roads. They hadn't either.

As you become accustomed to using the roads and find you want to explore a bit more or go a little further off track, think of your GPS then. It may help the panic you feel if you are dangerously lost. They are another learning expreience on top of the others.
FollowupID: 402583

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 14:37

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 14:37
Wim, what has happened to that Ocean Road trip planning?

Best wishes to you and Judy....
FollowupID: 402601

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 15:34

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 15:34
As a lover of maps, I agree with Ruth, however, I am one of those with the screen (little one) on the dash. It has helped me find ruins and tracks in country I didn't know. Of course I could have done the same with the map, just slower.

And as for looking around, yep..get your head out of the cockpit not only is it more pleasant, it is safer.

Though I have the GPS I prefer to plan the whole trip, and each day by refernece to the maps. When we couldn't locate an invisible section of the Wiso track, it was the map in concert with the GPS that eventually had us back on track we were 16k of course. e wouldn;t have been if I had had the map unfolded an hour earlier.

So long live the paper map. But the GPS is handy sometimes.
FollowupID: 402629

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 16:02

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 16:02
Hi Ruth,

I like maps as well and the only time they let me down was in my first trip to Cape York. Decided to go to Maytown and somehow ended up on the old Cobb and Co track - what an experience we still laugh about it today. That wasn't the problem though, when it came to leaving we ended up at a spiderweb junction and knew we had to head south and had a compass. none of these tracks were showing on my map and after one wrong turn (a couple were facing south but snaked around) we could have gotten into serious trouble with our location. We got out OK but bought a GPS so that I can pinpoint my position on a map.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 402638

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 18:27

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 18:27
It is interesting though with the paper maps - we have a few of those and not just Great Desert Tracks South East, where the folding of the map has caused the paper to tear at corners. Bearing in mind that we have done only one Simpson crossing.

Not one crease in the computer screen yet, though bound to happen as I use it to write this to you ;-)
FollowupID: 402682

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 18:32

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 18:32
Take a hint from the boaties. Either bu maps flat or as soon as you get em, roll em and keep in a pvc tube- no more torn corners, I have maps here 25 years old stored like that- bloody useless maps most of em by now but you get the drift I'm sure.
FollowupID: 402683

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 22:43

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 22:43
Its not the crease on the GPS screen that is the big problem John its the white-out for mistakes.

GPSr what a load of tripe, flamin yuppie carp.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 402745

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 23:06

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 23:06
Bonz, the whiteout on the screen eh? i thought the pen pusher side of you would have it all over the keyboard - but then you probably trace the roads across the screen.. I gues it would be better than the Microsoft Blue screen of death.....

Don't you have a couple of GPSers mate? Couple of Garmins, and, and....
FollowupID: 402752

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 23:22

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 23:22
Just one John

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 402755

Follow Up By: bouncer - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 23:57

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 23:57
Bonz (Vic) posted this followup
GPSr what a load of tripe, flamin yuppie carp.

LMAO what's a "yuppie carp" is that a young urban professional fish
FollowupID: 402761

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 00:01

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 00:01
what's a "yuppie carp" is that a young urban professional fish

PMSL that cracked me up!! :-)
FollowupID: 402763

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 07:37

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 07:37
Carp in Australia is pretty antisocial. They stuff up the rivers for all other native fish, muddying the waters. Fortunately Murray Cod have learned to eat them but the taste is not in real demand. Unmarketable.

If only they remained urban, from the above one would think unemployed rather than urban professional and a fish out of water - ......on a 4by forum....?
FollowupID: 402809

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 18:18

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 18:18
yuppie carp is just that

or should I say

yuppier carpr isr justr thatr, dor your getr myr pointr, ther rr isr addedr byr yuppier crapr artistsr

Bonzr

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 402937

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 18:25

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 18:25
The GPS or Global Positioning System is the network of satelites and communications that allows hand held GPS units to tell you where you are, or were.

The hand held unit IS NOT dorrectly called a GPSr as it does not receive the system, it merely interacts with the satellites and communications network to establish its position relative to known data.

So its not a GPSr (thats yuppie carp) its a GPScdridm

Global Positioning System communications data receiver interpretation and display module

Or Carp Communications And Receiver Pod

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 402940

Follow Up By: bouncer - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 19:40

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 19:40
Sheesh settle down Bonz I don't give a toss what it is called but every so called professional I spoke to reffered to them as GPSr's so I thought that if I called them what I was lead to beleive was the correct termonology I wouldn't get flamed LMAO that didn't work now did it.

I'm-r begining-r to-r think-r you-r don'-tr like-r me-r Bonz-r
FollowupID: 402957

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 20:09

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 20:09
Well there you go, that's the problem then, Bonz is not professional so he just calls them a gps. When he comes professional then he will call them a GPSr.
FollowupID: 402964

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 20:12

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 20:12
bugga this, got work to do while I listen to my RADIOr
FollowupID: 402966

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 21:31

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 21:31
No bounce-r never get that feeling mate. I am as settled as Manhattan and nothing ruffles my feathers - much heheheh

And i didnt know what flamed was until you mentioned it in response to my reply. All I was doing is expressing an opinion on the nousness or otherwise of them what call themselves professionals.

Maddogs right i call them GPSs.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 402989

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 14:26

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 14:26
I don't think its a must have at all, especially if you are staying close to the main roads. I have one as backup in case I'm stranded etc, but it was bought years back for fishing - maps are good for most needs - and anyone can use them.
AnswerID: 149391

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 14:42

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 14:42
Bouncer

Always have a good supply of maps no matter what. Experience at reading maps is essential. While you are on the right track it seldom matters but when you suddenly find you are not on the track then map reading can become serious.

I use GPS as a confidence thing to my map reading. Near the coast I navigate by "lay of the land" but out west the "lay" is all flat so sometimes it is great to have your map reading reinforced by the GPS.

Unless you do a lot of travel through such terrain, you may also find GPS useful to show where you are and to get a better idea of how far you travel. It is easy to over or under estimate distance travelled out there. As said before GPS is also great to help not missing turnoffs or confirmation of correct turnoffs especially if towing.

As to whether a GPS is essential. I'd say not but I'll always have one. Go to the DIG tree and contemplate Burke and Wills leaving a single tree on Cooper's Creek and then travel huge amount of kms to the north and then to come back (half starved) and find the same tree. We don't know the meaning of the word navigation.

That said, be careful out there and be sure you can read the map. The main skill of navigation is to know when you are off track long before you fail to reach your destination.

Cheers
AnswerID: 149395

Reply By: Rod W - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 15:43

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 15:43
Bouncer, if you do decide on a GPS, don't forget to look at marine makes/versions as well, like Furuno.

I have a Furuno GP32, it came with the mushroom type antenna. It has a good sized screen so there is no eye strain and is readable whilst driving. The price was about $560.00. It has to be hardwired into the vehicle which wasn't a problem for me.
AnswerID: 149403

Reply By: bouncer - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 15:45

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 15:45
:) Thanks all for replies,
So I am getting from this that they are not essential items but 99.9% of you wouldn't be with out one hmmmm?

I guess I might try the flash receiver with some good software to start with and see if a backup handheld is needed from there.

Oh and I will definately have plenty of paper maps on hand too.
AnswerID: 149404

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 15:50

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 15:50
bouncer, I told you they'd come out of the woodwork (especially my friends above who love their 'puters and boys toys. Hahahha.)
Have a good trip in any case and we'll talk some more.
FollowupID: 402635

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 16:07

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 16:07
GPS have a breadcrumb trail feature! Really handy when lost.

FollowupID: 402640

Follow Up By: macka - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 21:03

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 21:03
Hey Bouncer..
It's the male thing..
Toys. I've got one and quite a few other things too. Unneccesary.. BUT a good talking point and brilliant, when going places in strange towns..
Other than that use your maps, and stop your brain drying up.
A good navigator (Missus) is a much more inportant tool.
Regards and enjoy
Macka17
FollowupID: 402720

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 22:45

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 22:45
My GPS has guaranteed I wont seperate from my darling wife over navigation arguements, once I got the GPSMap60 my marriage has been much less stressful.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 402746

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 22:31

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 22:31
Ruthie, the PDA GPS is actually Heather's as I gave it to her for her birthday and nearly have to ask to use it. LOL well not really but have found it useful and it IS a LOT SMALLER in front of her in Moses. I think she appreciates that. If it tells me where to go, I am probably more accepting than her tell me where to go.
FollowupID: 403014

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 08:15

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 08:15
JohnR - that was nice of you to give Heather that PDA GPS for her birthday, nearly as good as the drop-saw I received. Certainly the drop-saw has been much used by my husband - in fact only yesterday I heard him cutting some steel for the new awning on the 'summer house'. I hope Heather finds you some gorgeous lingerie for your birthday - especially that see-through leopard print with some fluffy feathers around the hem! I can just see it now.
FollowupID: 403067

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 18:31

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 18:31
Ruth, I don't know Ian will appreciate your roaming imagination. I am sure I would look great in the see through leopard print, fluffy feathered lingerie but the legs would look better shaved. Perhaps I would to look Brazillian?? Heather also got a nice watch too, which I neglected to mention.

You better leave me with the imagigination ;-)
FollowupID: 403422

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 21:06

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 21:06
JohnR - you are a naughty naughty boy and you should get a whipping - betit was you who got to watch. Bad boy! What would Maaaaaaa say?
FollowupID: 403442

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 22:51

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 22:51
I doubt it John from what I hear Brazillian means non-hirsute.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 403463

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 17:28

Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 17:28
Ruth, i had thought you were such a nice person too. Looking forward to the whipping, I hadn't realised you were into such things. It is beyond my exerience so far so keen to try, anything once.....

No, the watch was a ladies watch, not for me.

Bonz, I thought that was where Ruth should avoid the imagination ;-) I think waxing is beyond me actally.
FollowupID: 403592

Reply By: Member - Shawsie (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 15:54

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 15:54
Hi Bouncer - My 2c worth. We recently did Longreach to Winton via jundah with around 400km on dirt road. I put in my waypoints and POI and it gave me hugh peace-of-mind knowing that I was travelling in the right direction and not going off onto a farm road LOL. I have a hand held Garmin eTrex Legend stuck on the dash - well worth it no matter which type you buy :o)
AnswerID: 149408

Reply By: desert - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 15:56

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 15:56
Nothing wrong with paper maps, compass and odometer. GPS a nice to have
AnswerID: 149409

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 18:12

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 18:12
GPS Toyz for Boyz

Save your money. Good paper maps and compass will do unless you are going OFFROAD
AnswerID: 149448

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 23:28

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 23:28
Some of us do :-)

You ole ludiite Willem

But you are right mostly a toy., occassionally very handy I originally bought mine for gliding, pretty handy when you land out in a paddock and need to give your position to the poor sod who has to find you.
FollowupID: 402757

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 08:11

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 08:11
I had to look up the word Luddite.

My Aussie Oxford does not have it listed but the internet helped. Some interesting stories attached to Ned Ludd and the Luddites.

They were anti-technology, so to speak

Must say I luuv my Magellan. Check my speed, see what altitude we are at, and when its going to rain......LOL I even hook it up to my laptop sometimes but that is in mostly in unmarked territory or trackless terrain. Have used it twice in anger in 3 years to find the right track.

I print the paper maps from Oziexplorer or Hema before going on a trip and have a pretty good sense of direction

FollowupID: 402818

Reply By: BenSpoon - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 18:38

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 18:38
I see you use maps... what if you always had a "YOU ARE HERE" pointer moving along the map accurate to 2m that showed your speed, bearing and the direction you need to head to get to a secret spot you've never been to? From there it can tell you lefts and rights, distance to your camp site, the time you will get there and a wealth of useless figures and letters.

If you get a GPS, as good as the ones attached to a laptop are, if you decide to go for a geocache and have to leave the car, you better have good laptop battery life and decent arm muscles to carry your laptop infront of you, or alternatively I'd recommend a handheld GPS that you can download maps to so you can go walkabout when needed. I find this handy also as the GPS can show street level whereas the maps I use on laptop (Natmap) only show towns and main roads.
A map is great, but unless you have reference points, you are in trouble.
AnswerID: 149457

Follow Up By: bouncer - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 18:52

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 18:52
:) Hi BenSpoon,
I was thinking the same thing about 10 minutes before you posted, I'm pretty strong but I don't think I want to lug a laptop on a hike LMAO. So with a rethink on my GPS needs it's a handheld with a cable linking to the laptop and some you buet software thrown in.

Just don't know what handheld to go for now LOL, looking at the Garmin etrex legend c but any advice would be great.
FollowupID: 402689

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 20:16

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 20:16
I have a magellan Map 330 - Its old and outdated and seems to be the only one in existence without a colour screen, but I havent broken it yet which speaks volumes and it does everything I need. There is one on ebay now for $380 which I reckon is a bit overpriced, but the accessories add up quickly- $70 for the cable, $80 for the cradle, $100+ for the software...

The only thing that frustrates me with it is it only has 8Mb of memory- so it will store every street and name, shopping centre, post office etc for about 1/3 of WA but once you move out of that area you have saved on the GPS you need your laptop to download new streets to it or you become a little arrow on a blank screen. I think the new meridian models run on memory cards- that will be my next purchase if I break this one.

FYI- my map 330 has been dropped 10m, left in the sun on the dash in a 70-degree car for weeks on end, been dropped in water a few times and has bounced a good metre off the ground on a number of occasions and it still works fine. I'd recommend a magellan.
FollowupID: 402704

Reply By: arthurking83 - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 20:54

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 20:54
Hi bouncer,
I too love maps, just like everyone else here!!

But I love all kinds of maps..... old, new, paper and electronic!

You have to keep one point in mind, there are limitations with all kinds of maps!

The information on those maps!

Paper maps are harder to update than electronic maps.
Electronic maps are very easy to update, with a couple of clicks of a mouse you can change just about any info in an instant, then view it on screen.

GPSr's use electronic maps.
Whilst the GPSr manufacturers try to make it hard to update your GPSr's maps, there are always people that succeed!

If you're in two minds about getting a GPSr, and funds are tight, then best advice is "don't get one".
Or better still if you can justify throwing out ~$100, then get a cheapie old secondhand thingy off ebay!!
This will get you into the GPS groove, learning, etc.....

But a good modern mapping GPSr with good modern maps!!! :))
That's 99.99% a "must have"!

For me.......now it's a must have. Paper maps have been relegated to organising the "grand plan" and backup duties.
AnswerID: 149482

Follow Up By: bouncer - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 22:20

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 22:20
:) Hi arthurking83,
Thanks for your reply.

Money is not a problem it's just that I ahve a bad habbit of over justifying spending it. That way no one including myself can say it was a waste of money or I told you so.

It's just that there are so many out there to choose from I just don't know which one is the right way to go LOL.

OK here is my criteria for what I want in a handheld GPS:

Under $600
Auto routing
compatability with the u buet software
waterproof
Colour screen preferred but not a nes
Able to link to laptop
Good sized internal memory
Easy to use and input data
Good battery life
and good in bad reception areas (tree lined tracks etc)
FollowupID: 402744

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 22:49

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 22:49
You may need to re-assess your budget

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 402748

Follow Up By: bouncer - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 23:58

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 23:58
Bonz (Vic) posted this followup
You may need to re-assess your budget

:) why??
FollowupID: 402762

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 18:15

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 18:15
hahahah I can play this game too

bouncer posted this followup
:) why??

heheh well when the autorouting software is around hmm lets say $200 and memory in a GPS is a premium price and screen size also attracts somewhat of a price tag, a $600 budget seems a little lacking to me.

Hence my assertion that you MAY need to re-assess your budget.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 402935

Follow Up By: bouncer - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 19:45

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 19:45
:) Not playing any games Bonz it was a genuine question, I mean you stated I need to re-assess my budget but didn't give any reasoning behind the statement, just wanted to know why so I could re-asses if it was warranted, that way I can make a better informed choice when it comes to my GPS (notice no r LOL) needs
FollowupID: 402958

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 21:35

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 21:35
It seemed like a game, sorry I was in a playful mood. My setup with a Garmin GPSMap60CS and City Navigator cost about 1200, and it meets your criteria except the dollars, so if yu find something good on ya, but I reckon less money will cause compromises on something e.g. to go from 56 meg to 115meg memory another $100 everything else the same

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 402992

Follow Up By: bouncer - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 23:54

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 23:54
:) Thanks Bonz,
That's what I'm looking for some advice on specs and software needed etc.

Just to clear up something, the $600 price tag was ment only for the unit it's self as I know the software can cost $300+.
FollowupID: 403039

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 10:05

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 10:05
Ha ha Bonz. Wondered what that white stuff was on JohnR's fancy screen and 'puter set up was when he was showing it off - it was Liquid Paper! Hahahaha.
I'm a luddite, Willem (although I do appreciate the new thingies).
AnswerID: 149579

Reply By: Mike Harding - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 19:51

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 19:51
About one month ago I bought two e-treks for $209 each. At that price I fail to see why anyone who has the cash to do bush touring in Oz would not?

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 149672

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 19:55

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 19:55
PS. Bouncer: In the seven years I have owned a GPS receiver I have never heard anyone call it a "GPSr"?

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 402961

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 20:10

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 20:10
you've never heard a professional then Mike.
FollowupID: 402965

Follow Up By: bouncer - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 23:48

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 23:48
:) Oh my god I really did start something here didn't I LMAO
FollowupID: 403036

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 19:58

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 19:58
These things are not a must. They are for most of us who travel via roads a toy. If you don't mind getting lost occassionaly then spend your money on something else if your disposable loot is limited. If you're out in the sticks just remember where you turned left and right incase you have to back track.
AnswerID: 149674

Follow Up By: bouncer - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 00:10

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 00:10
"If you're out in the sticks just remember where you turned left and right incase you have to back track."

LMAO ok I am definately getting a GPScdridm (Global Positioning System communications data receiver interpretation and display module) :)

Remember where I turned left and right pffft yeh right.
FollowupID: 403041

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 01:48

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 01:48
haha. easy, just remember on the way back to turn right where you turned left and turn left where you turned right...simple :)
FollowupID: 403053

Follow Up By: bouncer - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 02:22

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 02:22
Now was that turn right where I turned left or turn right before the left turn that I turned right at on the way in just after the 2 lefts????
FollowupID: 403055

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 21:39

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 21:39
Hey Bouncer, Good first post mate, I get all the maps and use them and also use the GPS to tell me exactly where I am, has helped me out several times and would have saved a night in the bush had I had one 6 yeras ago. In my humble opnion, theyre fun to have and very useful but not necessary for everyday travel. Nice to have but not a necessity.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 149706

Reply By: arthurking83 - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 00:23

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 00:23
Bonz is right with his analysis :) re-think your requirements or budget!

If you are looking for new equipment!

Autorouting is MY least required feature in a GPScdridm :))
(but that's just me)

The GPS reciever will almost cetainly become a "must have" only when you are lost in the bush, with only the bushes to give you directions!!
Around town(s) you stop, get a bearing, locate a feature, look for the street names etc.
In the bush I've come across some of those spider junctions, not marked on the map!...... Very confusing!!

Forget Autorouting, and concentrate on big screen, and good maps!

If you are going with a Non-handheld type (USB mouse, CF or BT reciever...etc) on a laptop or PDA, then again you're limiting yourself with the available mapping images!

If you want a handheld, my preference would be Magellan, Garmin, Lowrance.
(because Magellan currently have the best available maps!)
With all three you can alter the maps, but it's an involved process, easiest on the Garmins (currently)
My Garmin concerns are the limited memory available on the GPSr!!
For a, round the country, trip you may need your computer(with you) to upload complete detailed maps of Aus to the Garmin
Magellans DAST topo maps are fantastic!!!
All of Aus on a single card (SD) and off you go! (you choose which State you are in)
No other software would be needed, to travel around the country!

(But how many times are we going to travel around the country?)

**Note!!! Garmin are about to release the hugely anticipated 'x' version of their handhelds.
They will have expandable memory for loading more detailed and more coverage mapping, AND should also force the price of the older hardware down!!!

Personal opinion??
Magellan explorist 500(color) or Meridian Color, with DAST topo.(~$1K)

The past few months I've been calibrating maps in Oziexplorer, and seen some of the most remote tracks on the DAST topo maps, (very handy for calibration accuracy). Lots of the 4wdtracks in DAST topo are marked "un named", but there is some confusing detail, because there are also some farm tracks marked "un named"!! :o
As a courier I could navigate my way around VIC using just DAST topo, instead of my Melways/VicRoads directories!

The Meridian series has only recently been "discontinued" in the USA/Europe, but there appears to be some confusion about what exactly??

Wait to see the pricing on the Garmin 'x' models and decide then!!

But for those that insist that GPS is "toyz for the boyz" you have to take into context that aeroplanes, ships, rockets, missiles, etc.. navigate with the system.
They rely on the system to autopilot these things more accurately than any human can.
Granted, the system they use is better/more accurate, but you get the idea, that this GPS system is not a toy, it's a serious navigation aid.
An it's only going to get better!
I believe that at some point in the future, it's going to create the situation where paper maps will no longer be produced! (due to limited demand).

The toys are the, all purpose, MP3/camera/DVD/coffee making GPS devices out there, trying to please everyone.
I don't know enough about Navmans and TomToms to comment on the extent of the maps they supply, and if you can update them.
AnswerID: 149754

Reply By: Mike DiD - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 08:33

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 08:33
Considering the low cost of basic GPS these days, it would be crazy to go bush without one.

They all display your recent track. If you get lost, you can just follow your track back to a point you last recognised, whether driving or on foot to get back to your vehicle. No GPS or mapping knowledge is needed for this. I'm a very experienced bush navigator and mapreader, but I still find this feature very helpful to avoid embarassments ! A lot of bush looks the same.

If you want to know exactly where you are, you can read your Latitude Longitude off the GPS with limited GPS knowledge, but even experts make mistakes in reading a Lat Lon off a map.

Just by looking at your track on the GPS, it is often easy to compare this to a map and work out where you are.

Mike

AnswerID: 149785

Reply By: flora - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 09:06

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 09:06
hey...we're looking at buying a uniden105 uhf gps off ebay next time one is available....usually go for around the $499 in shops but this guy in ebay auctions them off and usual winning bid gets them for $365...the most ive seen one go for was $405...and the cheapest being $325..i missed out by $5!! spewin'!!!! i think they are good idea incase of emergancies, following our 4wd touring map book by the Moon's where the map has gps plots on it, gives acurate speed, directions on how to get to where wher you are...!!!! there are so many benefits..just look around and do your homework.....laura
AnswerID: 149792

Follow Up By: redmow - Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 12:06

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 12:06
Hi This is my first post so Im nervous amongst all you experienced people. I havent even got a rig yet but am using all your experience to get info on what I need etc. I have brought a Tomtom GPS to practice on before we go but we live in a fairly remote area of Tassie and find quite a lot of side roads are not on the card. Is this normal - SD card should be up to date only purchased a few weeks ago, or do we have to download more maps for rural areas?
FollowupID: 403715

Sponsored Links