Price increase[ another bl0ody excuse ]

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 17:08
ThreadID: 29840 Views:1785 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Wednesday January 18, 04:46 PM AAP

Petrol prices tipped to increase
Australian motorists can expect higher petrol prices because of an international
dispute over Iran's nuclear program, analysts say.

US crude oil prices rose above $US66 a barrel to a three-and-a-half month high on Tuesday - just $US5 lower than the price of $US71 a barrel after Hurricane Katrina last year.

The United States and European Union want the UN Security Council to consider action against Iran to prevent, or punish, that country for moving forward with a uranium enrichment program that the West fears could lead the development of a nuclear bomb.

That action could include an oil embargo against Iran, the world's fourth biggest oil exporter.

Iran says its uranium program is intended to create fuel to run nuclear power plants and boost electricity supplies.

Commonwealth Bank commodity analyst Tobin Gorey said any disruption in Iran's crude oil exports would further tighten the global oil market and lead to higher petrol prices.

"Oil prices are already higher to reflect the risk it (an oil embargo) might happen," he said.

Mr Gorey said Iran produced five per cent of the global output of crude oil.
"It may not seem like much but if you take Iran out of an already tight market it would have an effect," he said.

"Oil is a global commodity and if all of a sudden there is less in the pot, so to speak, then the price will go up."

"There is already strong demand (for crude oil) and there is no room for disruptions to production."

Mr Gorey said motorists should start to see higher prices for petrol at the pump now.

Royal Automobile Club of Victoria (RACV) spokesman Michael Case said petrol prices were always vulnerable to world events.

"Any threat to the supply of crude oil would have a corresponding effect at the pump," Mr Case said.

"I'm not sure how much prices could rise, that would be hard to predict."
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 17:20

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 17:20
Kinda runs along the lines of... You've been a very naughty boy, how about we punish the rest of the world until you come to your senses... Gives me the poo's
AnswerID: 149429

Reply By: jo and mark - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 20:39

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 20:39
I would like to know how they justify putting up the price of gas. now 59.9 cents per litre. We run the panel van on gas... It use to cost me around $9-11 to completely fill the tank only a year ago, now in the last 4 weeks the price went straight up from 49.9 by 10 cents in one jump. It now costs me around the $30 to fill the gas tank. So I have no right to complain when we are saving with having Jero on petrol and the van on gas, but I don't recall gas needed oil from Iran.
jo
AnswerID: 149477

Follow Up By: Boc1971 - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 22:02

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 22:02
almost 60 c pl in some parts of sydney this week ....... the reason i am told for the price jump this time of year is that the northern hemisphere is in winter - so LPG demands are high up there and therefore the price jumps down here -- in our winter and there summer you find the price drops down to almost 33cPL

this is what has been explained to me

Boc
FollowupID: 402741

Follow Up By: jo and mark - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 09:14

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 09:14
so yet again we have to pay because of someone else......

Isn't that the Aussie way of life now..

joanne
FollowupID: 402838

Reply By: desert - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 20:42

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 20:42
Level playing field and all that bull bleep . How come we (Australia) can't say to Iran, sorry the price of wheat just doubled due to a drought? Or to Japan, sow sorrry, LPG now 18 cents a tonne due to cost of transport?????
AnswerID: 149480

Reply By: Exploder - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 22:21

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 22:21
Why dose it always sound like a big mystery when they say prices are going Up due to demand, like they have a room full of accounts calculating how much Oil we as a civilisation are going to need to get us throe tomorrow. The demand stays constant with this resource don’t you think.

American knows what Iran is up to, how? Because they have the Resist’s for the uranium and the How to build you own WMD instructions…

Oh sorry I must be dribbling agene.
AnswerID: 149501

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 02:05

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 02:05
yeah what a pack of f****nnnnn hypocrites,

here the "leaders of the free world" were this past week in aus, having secret meetings and deals to bribe countries into nuclear power, using american built reactors and aussie uranium.............

and i dont think from memory during the yanks downpour that juice went to a 1.25, that is what i saw at midnight on my way home tonight.

Wheres me pushbike :-))
AnswerID: 149537

Sponsored Links