Question for OME runners on GU Patrols

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 17:57
ThreadID: 29844 Views:1805 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
We have a OME 2" lift on our GU the annoying problem we are having over the last 80,000ks or from new I should say, is the right hand front spring keeps wearing holes into the rubber damper pad that sits on top of the spring. Ive replaced 2 @ $76 a pop Im getting bleep off with changing them & its stuffed again. It makes a dull donging noise when it hits E.G over speed humps or off-road. Everytime I take the car to a ARB/OME dealer they weren't interested, take it back to where you got it fitted is the usual reply bit hard when you now live 1600ks from where they where fitted?
Just interested to see if anyone has had the same problem before I chew head offices hear off, & will probably get nowhere?

Cheers Steve
PS The car has done no off-roading for 10mths, average 30,000ks a year
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 18:03

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 18:03
When they say take it back, have you asked what the issue could be? Just interested to hear their answer.

Try calling ARB Head Office and ask them.
AnswerID: 149446

Follow Up By: Member Steve & Lorraine Mc - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 18:12

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 18:12
Hi Truckster
Will be ringing them first thing in the morning, will post the reply.
Only thing I can think of is we got a crook spring god knows how as their all machine made. It has no sharp edges, looks the same as the left & I only weigh 105kgs so a bit of extra BEEF hasn't done the trick.
Time will tell.

Cheeer Steve
FollowupID: 402675

Reply By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 18:14

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 18:14
Hi steve,

I have the OME suspension uplift and spring upgrade on my GU, mainly to get the vehicle to sit straight when towing our 1200KG camper. It fixed that problem and the new springs are much nicer to ride on.

I had it back twice to ARB due to donging noises when going over any sort of bump/hump. They fixed it the second time around (and found some loose nuts!)

The cause of the noise according to the experts at ARB Norwood SA is that some of the springs come with a sharp edge where the coil spring ends. It looks like the spring has been cut at 90 degrees when manufactured. The original springs are tapered at the end.

This sharp edge moves or scrapes in the mounting point as the spring compresses. Their solution was to round off the ends. The problem appears to be fixed now. I don't know why they don't check them when installing.

Your problem could be different to mine. I was told that mine would have been fixed under warranty at any of their shops around Australia, provided I showed them the original documentation and it was within two years.

Good Luck,

Kings
AnswerID: 149450

Reply By: DesC - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 18:22

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 18:22
Yeah i have the same noise the second day after i fitted OME but never worried about it. But i will fix it now that i know what the problem is.
AnswerID: 149452

Reply By: desert - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 20:09

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 20:09
It would appear that you have pointed me in the right direction in tracking down an annoying dull thump that I get occassionally from the right hand spring area. Not that I have had time to start pulling things off to check thoroughly. But as I normally change springs over perhaps four times a year, I had noticed some wear in the insulator. Perhaps the after market spacer types from the likes of ProComp, would be a more durable product than the soft factory rubber?
AnswerID: 149469

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 22:37

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 22:37
Yes I have the dull dong in the left hand front, will get it fixed Friday.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 149504

Reply By: Redeye - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 08:23

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 08:23
Thanks for the information. This has been an annoyance that I was going to get to "one day". Now I can address

Thanks

Redeye
AnswerID: 149782

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 09:56

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 09:56
Another thought for you. I have these in my patrol and on my last trip found that I wanted a tougher spring in the rear (settled for air bags in the end). I was in Katherine and the ARB guy there dug out the ARB book and I already had their heaviest jobbie but then suggest the coils for a ute - anyway after ringing Darwin he was told that these springs are too rigid and would destroy to coil tower.

I wish I could remember the item numbers but at least anothe r possibilty to your problem

Kind regards
AnswerID: 149800

Sponsored Links