ZD30 engine saved by Hyclone

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 21:43
ThreadID: 29853 Views:3482 Replies:9 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all, had a Navara towed into the workshop today with a ZD30 engine the complaint being, suddenly lost power and would not restart. I took the turbo induction pipe off to examine the turbo and found the compressor had broken up due to a failed turbine shaft. I then thought some of the bits may have been sucked into the engine, so I removed the boost pipe and found that a Hyclone had been fitted in it and this had a piece of compressor blade jamned in it, saving the engine from any more damage. Who said Hyclones don't have their uses !!!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ross H (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 22:15

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 22:15
Hi jon
What do you think caused the failure. Was just wondering if it is the start of something big. Just nice to stay one step ahead of something very expensive,
so if you could give us all an unbias opinion that would be appreciated by quite a few on this forum.
regards ross
AnswerID: 149499

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 22:30

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 22:30
Thats good I have one of each!
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 149503

Reply By: howie - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 23:00

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 23:00
i don't want to start the old hyclone argument off again but this proves the value of the hyclone despite numerous posts to the contrary.
i myself have 7 hyclones fitted to my vehicle and can honestly say that i have never had any trouble since the fitment of these marvellous devices.
the hyclone device is not just an amazing fuel saver but, as pointed out by jon,has a myriad of uses, some not appreciated or used by the 4wd fraternity.
the hyclones on my vehicle are strategically placed to enhance the fuel economy and also to stop extrinsic material entering the vehicles engine system.
i also fitted a hyclone to my waeco and this has reduced the current draw considerably.
the applications of the hyclone are too numerous to mention,
regards howie
AnswerID: 149509

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 23:10

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 23:10
Howie

Do you think it will help my Chescold II eutectic fridge, or am I just being silly?
I have boosted the airflow with a computer fan and put a 3" mandrel bent exhaust on it, tried a DTronic but was worried it would void warranty so removed it.

Any advice you can give would be welcome- It is difficult to stop it getting damaged in tough terrain-should I fit OME shocks or Kings to the fridge? What tyres would be best- it is difficult to move sometimes. No placard though, I hope I can fit 265/75 anyway.

Cheers
FollowupID: 402753

Follow Up By: howie - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 23:45

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 23:45
not sure about the "eutectic" bit. the closest word i know is the eustachian, which is a tube connecting the pharynx to the cavity in the middle ear, this equalizes the pressure in the eardrum.
working on this principle i would suggest that your chescold would benefit enormously from the fitting of a hyclone.
not only that, i must thank you for leading me to the question of fittnig hyclones in human beings. the possibilities are endless.
ps don't worry, no one has had a warranty claim on their body rejected as yet.
FollowupID: 402758

Follow Up By: crfan - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 00:28

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 00:28
Just imagine if you fitted a Fitch as well and one of Trucksters shoelaces
FollowupID: 402768

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 00:30

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 00:30
I have 12 hyclones fitted to my radio, helps the TV work.
FollowupID: 402769

Follow Up By: Member - Coyote (SA) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 10:53

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 10:53
Perhaps the hiclone could also be used fitted to Troopies between the radio/horn and wipers, in fact I'm contemplating fitting about a dozen hylcones to my bull bar to improve the airflow ver the bonnet and therfore improving fuel efficiency due to less drag. the beauty of this is I also don't need a shoo roo or fitch as if I hit aroo with all the hiclones fitted it would be sliced to shreds before contacting the bull bar and withthe improved airflow who needs a fitch?? Hiclen.. the solouton t all my off road problems... perhaps I should cut a hole in my winscreen und fit one, hence negating the need for A/Con. in turen reducing fuel consumption.. geez at this rate, my TD 4.2 GU wil lrun on the smell of a fitchy rag...
FollowupID: 402857

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 12:15

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 12:15
whats a hyclone?

do i need one for my fridge too?....
and more importantly....will it help swmbo

FollowupID: 402864

Follow Up By: Wombat - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 14:12

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 14:12
Apparently it's a device which allows the air in various orrifices to circulate more efficiently so I think you probably need to ascertain whether this will be beneficial when applied to SWMBO, Nudie. Why would you want to 'clone her anyway?
FollowupID: 402887

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 15:20

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 15:20
cos she might turn out looking like elle mcpherson?
FollowupID: 402899

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 18:19

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 18:19
Lucky they had the hiclone fitted....pity Nissan spent millions on the motor tio develop it....and forgot to put in a hiclone standard......but good for the aftermarket industry.....(This can also be said for all oem motors i know of) no-one must be after that extra 5 % power and economy.
Andrew
FollowupID: 402938

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 19:13

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 19:13
Remember they will only work when used with Peter Brocks Blackbox, and 20 Fitches.

YMMV
DILLIGAF
FollowupID: 402952

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 20:46

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 20:46
to stop extrinsic material entering the vehicles engine system.

Do u own a t/d????
FollowupID: 402975

Follow Up By: howie - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 23:18

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 23:18
quest 1) what is a t/d?

quest 2) did it make you look "extrinsic" up in the dictionary.
FollowupID: 403027

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 20:03

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 20:03
Howie
Turbo Diesel = T/D When i installed my snorkel, i cut the end off the old inlet swirler inside the guard and installed it up in the top of the air cleaner just before the air flow meter....took half an hour to fit, but cost nill...i didnt notice much difference in power, or economy, however a friend swears he did when he installed his in his t/d 75....so yeah....im not trying to put you down, just putting some logic to the argument...that the makers would surely have incorperated this into their newer motors considering the more efficiency they can get from them...
Andrew
FollowupID: 403234

Reply By: P.G. (Tas) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 08:48

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 08:48
I have found another new use for the Hyclone, it's a great source of entertainment on here. Keep the great stories coming.
AnswerID: 149558

Reply By: Sir Diamond - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 12:27

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 12:27
maybe it was the extra power from the hiclone thats caused the turbo to self destruct in the first place.
AnswerID: 149602

Reply By: Leroy - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 15:28

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 15:28
That's the funniest and best Hyclone post I have read....lol

Leroy
AnswerID: 149615

Reply By: D-Jack - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 16:57

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 16:57
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....... ha ha ha ha hah aha hahaha ha a haha ha aha....ah ahaha ha ha ha ah aha ha ha ha ah ah ahah h ah a hah aha h h ha haha hHa ha ha ha ha ha ha....... ha ha ha ha hah aha hahaha ha a haha ha aha....ah ahaha ha ha ha ah aha ha ha ha ah ah ahah h ah a hah aha h h ha haha hHa ha ha ha ha ha ha....... ha ha ha ha hah aha hahaha ha a haha ha aha....ah ahaha ha ha ha ah aha ha ha ha ah ah ahah h ah a hah aha h h ha haha hHa ha ha ha ha ha ha....... ha ha ha ha hah aha hahaha ha a haha ha aha....ah ahaha ha ha ha ah aha ha ha ha ah ah ahah h ah a hah aha h h ha haha h.......OOPS i THINK i JUST WET MYSELF Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....... ha ha ha ha hah aha hahaha ha a haha ha aha....ah ahaha ha ha ha ah aha ha ha ha ah ah ahah h ah a hah aha h h ha haha hHa ha ha ha ha ha ha....... ha ha ha ha hah aha hahaha ha a haha ha aha....ah ahaha ha ha ha ah aha ha ha ha ah ah ahah h ah a hah aha h h ha haha h

Hmmm. The medical posibilities are endless alright. Imagine never having constipation again becaue you have a Hiclone fitted up your anus to improve the poo flow??? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....... ha ha ha ha hah aha hahaha ha a haha ha aha....ah ahaha ha ha ha ah aha ha ha ha ah ah ahah h ah a hah aha h h ha haha h

Or maybe we have a cure for asthma, no more problems breathing because there is a HICLONE inserted into your throat!!!!Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....... ha ha ha ha hah aha hahaha ha a haha ha aha....ah ahaha ha ha ha ah aha ha ha ha ah ah ahah h ah a hah aha h h ha haha hHa ha ha ha ha ha ha....... ha ha ha ha hah aha hahaha ha a haha ha aha....ah ahaha ha ha ha ah aha ha ha ha ah ah ahah h ah a hah aha h h ha haha h OOH I DID JUST WET MYSELFHa ha ha ha ha ha ha....... ha ha ha ha hah aha hahaha ha a haha ha aha....ah ahaha ha ha ha ah aha ha ha ha ah ah ahah h ah a hah aha h h ha haha h- Maybe I've got one to many HICLONES fitted in my URETHRA!!!!Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....... ha ha ha ha hah aha hahaha ha a haha ha aha....ah ahaha ha ha ha ah aha ha ha ha ah ah ahah h ah a hah aha h h ha haha h

What a great forum!

D-Jack
AnswerID: 149639

Reply By: Brett_B - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 18:37

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 18:37
hahaha, yup - LMAO :-)
AnswerID: 149650

Reply By: Eddy - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 20:29

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 20:29
You lot crack me up.

I don't have a Hiclone.

How many of the smarties that replied to this post do?.... Come hands up.

And I want to see the receipt !

Also " A mate of mine had one " don't cut it "
That's just a cheap shot that's used a lot on the forums for various reasons.

Leave Hiclone alone.
They were not designed for diesels originally.
I know one Truckie who has owned the same immaculately maintained Kenworth truck for 16 years and he swears by them. Go figure. he is a hard businessman.

My real point is that in the carburettor days a few smart manufacturers,
ie: mitsubishi, toyota fitted wire gauze between the air filter and the carby.

This was to catch any rubbish going into the induction manifold.

So why don't they all do it now?

All this expensive technology and b**ered for 20 cents worth of wire mesh.

AnswerID: 149682

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 01:10

Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 01:10
>>> How many of the smarties that replied to this post do?.... Come hands up.

you should rephrase that to

How many of the smarties were too smart to waste their bux on this "WONDER", since theres about 1 positive post on any of the 1000's of 4wd forums out there?
FollowupID: 403493

Sponsored Links