port macquarie to point plomer

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 01:06
ThreadID: 29864 Views:9743 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

I'm heading up to point plomer this weekend and am planing to drive via either, the beach or the dirt road behind the beach from port macquarie. Can anyone give me an update on the conditions of the beach and/or the dirt road. Also, where do I get a beach driving permit from?

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 07:32

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 07:32
The beach drive is still one of the hardest around it always changes.
If the tied is above half on the way in go the track there will be some sand holes along the way but you will be ok in the 4x4.

All the best
Eric
AnswerID: 149542

Follow Up By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 08:07

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 08:07
What about towing Eric? Would the track be suitable with a camper and run tyres on sand presure, 20-24?

I have thought about going all the way from Port to Cresent Head.
FollowupID: 402815

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 08:13

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 08:13
Should be fine along the track.
I was along there about 12 months ago and there were a couple of sand holes along the way they should not cause a problems the rest is dirt road will rock's really hasn't changed for about ten years or so

All the best
Eric

FollowupID: 402819

Follow Up By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 08:18

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 08:18
Thanks Eric, I'm in the process of planning a 4 month trip up to Qld leaving the end of May, all the info helps.
FollowupID: 402821

Reply By: cruiser - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 14:20

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 14:20
I live in Port Macquarie and to be honest, the road hasn't changed much in 20 years or so as it receives absolutely no maintenance at all.

I would take the road rather than the beach, mainly because I am not all that keen on beach driving (personal preference), however, if you want to go up the beach then you will need a permit from either of these places

*** Hastings Council offices at Port Macquarie, Wauchope and Laurieton
*** Port Macquarie Visitor Information Centre: Cnr Hay and Clarences Sts, Port Macquarie
*** Dunbogan Boatshed: 46 The Boulevarde, Dunbogan
*** Kew Visitor Information Centre: Pacific Highway, Kew

Current price is $21 and your access points are

*** Point Plomer at northern end of North Beach
*** North Beach at intersection of Plomer Road and North Shore Drive

The road is fine for towing a camper or trailer and will give access from Port Macquarie to Crescent Head, however, the beach option will require you to get on the beach at North Beach and off again at the northern end of North Beach at Point Plomer, then use the road anyway until you get to north of Point Plommer, then back onto the beach and you will be on and off the beach until you get to Crescent Head beacause of various headlands along the way.

Incidently, the Hastings Council permit only covers from Port Macquarie to Plommer and then north of there, you will need a permit from the Kempsey Shire.

It is raining here at the moment and the road will have various deep water holes, however these are not impassable with due caution taken.

Hope this is of some help. If you need more help, email me on austin_powers39@hotmail.com and I will send you my phone number.
AnswerID: 149608

Reply By: Member - Mozza (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 14:24

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 14:24
newlux
i lived / worked at kempsey for about 2 years.. spent ALOT of time surfing at cresent head / racecourse / point plomer / queens head etc
easiest way to get to plomer after getting off the punt - if the tide allows it - is to go up the beach to queens head - easy getting on the beach.. not so easy getting off.. make sure your tyres are down... and give a little bit of right foot. and don't do it in the dark !..
the "road" is ok.. not as fast as the beach . and alot more bumpy! but all in all ok.
the road from point plomer to cresent head is jsut as bad - VERY bad corrugations, and gets very tight in some places - and only about 15-20 min trip if you going a "safe" speed.
no answers in regards to the permit.... ring Kempsey City Council... i'm sure they'd be able to tell you.
good luck !
plomer is a ncie spot... take your malibu too !
AnswerID: 149610

Reply By: newlux - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 00:12

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 00:12
Thanks for the info guys,

I'm guessing that we should be just about hitting the beach at about 2pm this arvo, which I think should be about 2 - 3 hrs after high tide, so i think I'll give the beach a go. But I'll suss it out when I get there. I appreciate the help.

Cheers
AnswerID: 149749

Sponsored Links