TRAILER ADVICE

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 09:38
ThreadID: 29867 Views:1747 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys, I have a small car, a Hyundai Elantra 2.0 litre and I wondered what anyone could advise me re the type of trailer I can use on it? I'd like to throw in camping gear (a tent and stuff) or maybe just plants from the nursery etc, but mainly it would be just used for lugging excess baggage (the dogs maybe?) on hols once or twice a year. I know nothing so help is appreciated. I don't think any of it would be off road as it is mainly around the camping areas of Bright etc, and where there are proper caravan parks. Any advice greatly appreciated. Also where I might find something pretty cheap/second hand, as long as I know what I am looking for.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 10:27

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 10:27
You should be able to find the towing spec of the vehicle in the handbook.

Failing that the towing regulations in Aus cand be found here

http://www.caravanandcampingsa.com.au/page.asp?parentid=22&parent2id=96

Having said that my wife has a toyota Echo and they reckon it can tow 700 Kilos. I don't think I'd like to do that.

AnswerID: 149588

Reply By: Plunger - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 11:36

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 11:36
Jiggles

I've had the same medium-duty steel 6X4 box trailer for 30 years - towed it with every car I've ever owned - VWs, Honda Civic, Holdens, Falcons, LC.

In addition to complying with the law and manufacturer's limits, use common sense, load it thoughtfully for correct ball weight, then drive accordingly and you shouldn't have any problems.

There are trailer manufacturers everywhere, ensuring a good range at competitive prices - and second-hand through Trading-Post, classifieds etc. (Check wheelbearings etc if buying second-hand.)

Plunger
AnswerID: 149595

Sponsored Links