camping in south east queensland with a dog

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 16, 2003 at 23:06
ThreadID: 2991 Views:27245 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know of any good camping spots in south east queensland where you can take dogs. Private property OK as we are very responsible and self-sufficient. We are quite willing to pay any fees applicable. We are a group of young families who want to get away from the burgeoning crowds and experience quiet adventures with our kids.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Old Soldier - Friday, Jan 17, 2003 at 07:20

Friday, Jan 17, 2003 at 07:20
G'day ruby,

Try "Gordon Country" on the way into Goomburra NP.

It has some marvellous secluded bush camping spots and dogs are OK.

It is better when the streams are running [when we get that stuff called rain :) :) ], but is still OK even now in this great dry.

I revisited that area just 2 weeks ago, and the only problem is they have sold some land and some of the best of their camp sites went with it.

You check in at the house on the left side of the road - just at the entrance. Quite often there is nobody there, but they will find you if you are there on the weekend.

Costs about $6-7 per head - no facilities, but there are bush "dunnies" up the NP a few KM along the track.

regards

DennisN
AnswerID: 11417

Follow Up By: Glen - Friday, Jan 17, 2003 at 11:58

Friday, Jan 17, 2003 at 11:58
Old soldier which bit of land did they sell off... Was it the section up where the cabins are behind the cattle yards. That was a great little valley. You can also camp further up the road along the creek .
Takes about two hours from Brissy. If and when we do get rain it is a magic spot . Busy on long weekends but other times I have been the only people there.
FollowupID: 6361

Follow Up By: Old Soldier - Friday, Jan 17, 2003 at 17:38

Friday, Jan 17, 2003 at 17:38
G'day Glen,

They sold that magic bit of land along the creek - on the left hand side just bordering the entrance to the National Park. There are hundreds of metres of tape along the track now and signs saying "keep out". Very sad as the camping spots right down on the creek were absolute magic when there was good water flowing.

There was also one specially magic camping spot just as you ford the one and only shallow creek crossing the track on the way in. It was just up on the left - room for 2 camps and overlooking a small swimming hole. It's sold and CLOSED !!!!

the remaining spots will still be OK if only we could get some bloody rain. It still has the best supply of good firewood I have seen anywhere.

We also noticed a "Closed" sign on the sign pointing to Glenrow Station on the way in. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that like a lot of good places around the country they got the "insurance collywobbles" and closed before somebody sued them for an ingrown toenail or something equally as life threatening.

What a bloody stupid world we are living in :)

Enjoy the bush

DennisN
FollowupID: 6377

Follow Up By: Ruby - Saturday, Jan 18, 2003 at 07:20

Saturday, Jan 18, 2003 at 07:20
Thanks old soldier,
Sounds really good,we might have missed the boat on the best spots however.
Thanks for your imput.

Regards Ruby
FollowupID: 6405

Reply By: John - Friday, Jan 17, 2003 at 11:28

Friday, Jan 17, 2003 at 11:28
Amamoor State Forest near Gympie allows dogs. Flushing toilets, cold showers, about $4/adult/night. 2WD accessible.

Privately owned "Levuka" near Woodenbong allows dogs and has flushing toilets and hot showers for about $25 a car load and is a beautiful green place. Usually rains there to. I know it's NSW but worth the trip South of the border. 2WD accessible.

I believe there is a book you can buy which lists camping spots in SE Qld where you can take a dog. Talk to the NPWS at 190 Ann St Brisbane (I think that's the right address).

AnswerID: 11428

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Friday, Jan 17, 2003 at 12:44

Friday, Jan 17, 2003 at 12:44
There is some magic country in that Amamoor area and the surrounding countryside. I lived up there not all that many years ago for a while on a job, and loved it. Was back in that area last year on holiday and went through the area again. Good thing about it, usually not many people.
FollowupID: 6366

Follow Up By: Ruby - Saturday, Jan 18, 2003 at 07:32

Saturday, Jan 18, 2003 at 07:32
Thanks John,

I like the sound of Amamoor.Do you know how big,any creeks(etc),availability of secluded camp spots or where to access such imfo? Much appreciated.

Exuse the ignorant but where exactly is "Levuka"

Thanks John
Ruby
FollowupID: 6406

Follow Up By: Glen - Saturday, Jan 18, 2003 at 08:43

Saturday, Jan 18, 2003 at 08:43
Ruby, Levuka is south west of Beaudesert Takes about say three hours from Brissy. There are also some nice spots along the Clarence River in Northern NSW that are private but its best to go for a drive and have a poke about first to find them before heading down there to camp.As like every where they need rain.
glen.
FollowupID: 6409

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Friday, Jan 17, 2003 at 18:01

Friday, Jan 17, 2003 at 18:01
There is a book available from the ExplorOz shop called - Holidaying with Dogs and it lists some 2000 B&B's, caravan park, camping grounds, host farms, cottages, motels, holiday houses that all allow your pets.

Maybe this might help - if you are interested just click on the name above to go directly to the shop item, costs $18.95 and has just been updated.

David
AnswerID: 11442

Reply By: Merv - Saturday, Jan 18, 2003 at 21:34

Saturday, Jan 18, 2003 at 21:34
Hi Ruby,

We just had avery enjoyable 17 days in Tweed Heads at the River Retreat Caravan Park (end of Dry Dock Rd), right on the river. Dogs are most welcome, in fact the managers confided in me that they prefer dogs to kids. There where quite a few dogs there and not one problem, with the dogs, but several complaints to management about kids. Was also great to see every owner being responsible dog owners.

Merv
AnswerID: 11497

Sponsored Links