Mundaring Track closures.

Submitted: Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 12:08
ThreadID: 29911 Views:2057 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
'morning all in the West.
I've just read the meeeting report where TrackCare WA met with a ranger from CALM to discuss the above. It's a bit disappointing to say the least and it seems to be a foregone conclusion that our access to any of that area will gradually be stopped by the faceless bureaucrats in the Water Corp or CALM for any reason they like.
How is it that in the other states they can use water catchments for recreation yet we are so restricted here as to what we can do, which is not much, and what we can't do which is just about anything, because they believe pollution of the catchment will occur!
In this case they've cited erosin of tracks causing mud to enter the water ........ so what?
Surely it will sink and haven't they got filters on the system?
I believe we should cause as little damage as possible but haven't these bureaucrats got just too much power to restrict those that pay their excessive wages?
Why not just temporary closures at times when major damage could be caused?
Why not locked gates with keys being held by clubs? That may help to keep the yahoos out at least.
We're being restricted further and further all the time, beach driving not allowed in so many areas such as north of Perth around the Alkimos area.
No driving or access to the beach through land which is going to be torn apart by the bulldozers and scrapers in the not too distant future!
(Don't dare take any native plants from these places either or you'll be fined massive amounts to protect the species!)
Have you noticed that where new subdivisions are going ahead the work nearly always takes place during Spring thereby causing far more damage to the local flora and fauna than any of us will do in a lifetime!
Is it asking too much that in such a grossly over governed nanny state such as ours that we be treated as responsible adults occassionally and the real wreckers such as the developers were taken to task for what they do?
That's my rant for this morning but sometimes I feel those that control what we do are heading towards keeping us strictly on the blacktop.
Alan H.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rod W - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 13:47

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 13:47
The Pollies will tell ya that the developers create jobs etc which makes em look good come election time.

The 4WD faterinity here in WA is very fragmented.

The two bodies that try very hard to represent 4WDriver's ie the 4WD Association and Track Care would have a combined membership in the vacinity of 1500, which is a mere drop in the ocean compared to the number or 4WD's registered on the road.

I've sort of lost me train of thought as to where I was going with this but I'll finish by saying that until those many many thousands of single 4WDrivers can somehow be aware of / support the ativities of the above bodies then the Pollies will have us right where they want us.
AnswerID: 149840

Reply By: BenSpoon - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 14:32

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 14:32
I just cant figure it out- Its dissapointing to say the least.
4WDs on tracks make water muddy.... and Water skiiers towed behind jet boats in the actual dams dont??
Water running down hills causes far more significant erosion than even a herd of stampeding 4wds on formed tracks- couldnt they have used a valid excuse?
Mud Settles, silt collects, Water Corp suck big balls.

I'll be out there with a pipe cutter harvesting no entry signs in months to come.

Water corp: pay for the bloody dredge to fix your problem like every other state and stop penalising the general public.
AnswerID: 149848

Reply By: Exploder - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 16:35

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 16:35
There will be another underlying reason for it; the 4WD’s causing the problems is just the cover for it, Seasonal closures/ Restrictions during the Wet would stop the issue of excessive erosion and Mud.

Next thing you will hear is ALCOA is going to open a mine LOL

If you remember last year Wellington dam overflowed, well One of the contributing factors of that was that the water Corp left 3 bores pumping Flat out for a extra 4 days as they forgot they were on.

AnswerID: 149872

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 22:29

Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 22:29
Alan, another possible reason other than erosion is the spread of dieback.

I like many others enjoy the tracks between Kalamunda/Pickering Brook and Mundaring and trying to find somewhere to go within 1/2 an hour of home is impossible these days.

Dunc.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 150215

Sponsored Links