Hilux 1kzte intercooler?

Submitted: Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 20:28
ThreadID: 29929 Views:12885 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I have a 2003 Hilux Dual cab which i regularly carry a load this seems to have affected my fuel economy. Unloaded I was regularly getting 10ks to a litre, now loaded up I am getting around 8.3 ks per litre (12l per 100k).

It runs nicely / smooth and I do not anticipate any mechanical issues are affecting the truck at present such as injectors or fuel pump, given that it has only 70,000ks on the clock 80% of which has been leisurly highway cruising. More likely just the extra weight needs more juice to push it around......

Just wondering if anyone has fitted a intercooler to Hilux 1kzte engine? If so who supplied the unit, how much, and what was the resulting effect on power output and or fuel consumption.

I am having AG diesel in clayton Dyno the truck to check if it is achieving factory rated outputs and or hopefully identify any pre existing issues before making a decision to intercool, or perform any other upgrades.

Any other ideas comments are welcome and appreciated.....

Zep..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sarg - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 21:13

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 21:13
If you want to call a Hilux a ''Truck", then expect truck like fuel economy. Get real.
AnswerID: 149907

Follow Up By: Zep - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 14:24

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 14:24
Good on Ya Sarg, that was a big help.

Then again I would expect as much from a short bloke with a small wanger who needs to call himself Sarg to pump up his ego....You hero!
FollowupID: 403361

Reply By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 23:43

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 23:43
Hi there Zep, I would say that the hilux is running ok with those fuel figures, it's the same as my neighbour is getting out of his, 10s around town 12/13 loaded up. And yes I refer to my hilux as the OLD TRUCK as well. Sarg if you cant write things constructive then dont bother answering people's questions. A lot of people refer to their 4wd as a truck but dont expect it to use fuel like one. Try filling up a prime mover like I do then you will know what using fuel for a truck is like, over $1000 to fill up the tanks, sorry Zep but people with that sort of attitude bleep me off, I dont know of anyone that has put an intercooler on their hilux (TRUCK) but sure that somebody probably has. Hang for a while and you might get a response from some one that has or knows of some one that might lead you in the right direction. Have a great weekend take care Regards Steve M The one with the OLD TRUCK
AnswerID: 149931

Reply By: Member - Geoff M (Newcastle) - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 15:28

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 15:28
Zep,
Can't help you with an exact experience on Intercooling your Hilux, I can offer a link.
Maybe talk to these people,

ARE

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 150015

Reply By: Michael Carey - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 17:12

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 17:12
This mob also does intercoolers, plus lots of other stuff!
I'm thinking of fitting one to my 1KZ-TE powered Dual Cab Hilux, maybe after some new tyres....

Denco Intercoolers
AnswerID: 150031

Reply By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 00:21

Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 00:21
Zep,

Sorry to but in on the subject, of a Truck I know little about. But the intercooler fitted to my 4.2 made zero difference to fuel figures or outright power, but I do believe is has enabled me to keep what power was previosly available for longer on the climbs or in hot ambient temps (NQ).
This has not been confirmed by dyno figures but rather only by feel when driving, if going down the same path again I probably would spend my moolah on other things. Obviosly this is not a mechanically derived opinion rather an opinion based on the drive of my vehicle only.

Hope this helps to put your money to good use.
Cheers Trevor.
AnswerID: 150079

Reply By: Zep - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 18:31

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 18:31
Thanks to all for the responses, the links provided are very helpful.

I will update this thread as I proceed along with the work.

Thanks again
AnswerID: 150601

Sponsored Links