Ozi Explorer Experts Required

Submitted: Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 21:49
ThreadID: 29932 Views:1666 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
If you are not an Ozi Explorer user, stop now. You will get bored with this post quickly.

Guys, please excuse my ignorance. I'm new to OziExplorer. I've also posted the following on the Yahoo Ozi Explorer forum, but thought I'd try here as well as I know many of you use Ozi Explorer and a response here may be much quicker. Have basic (certainly not advanced) knowledge of computers.

Having purchased Ozi and the NatMap Raster Premium (DVDs) and loaded
them on my laptop, I think I got it all working OK, including moving
maps. That was yesterday.

Today. Bugger me. It won't work. Example; if I try to locate a
place / map using search by place name, I get 'Cannot find the Map
File C:\maps\Natmap Raster Premium 2005\DVD1 Natmap 250K Mosaic.map.
Same if I try to select another map.

My map file path (Cofig, system) is c:\oziexplorer\maps\

If I go through my computer and follow through the above path, I find
the folder 'Natmap Raster Premium 2005' with sub folders DVD1 and
DVD2. So to me, the path seems OK.

If I go through File, Load from File, Load Map File, then chose the
path Local Disk (c),OziExplorer,Maps,National Raster Premium
2005,DVD1, Natmap 250K Mosaic.map (which is the default path), press
open, I get the message ' There is no disk in the drive. Please insert
a disk into drive D:. This is despite the path being to C:

So I put Raster DVD 1 into the drive and away she goes. Everything
seems to work.

My dumb mind says I must have a problem with the path to the maps on
the hard disk (c). But it looks fine to me. AND IT WORKED
YESTERDAY. The maps have loaded OK as I can view them via the NATMAP
Raster viewer.

Anyone got the patience to see if you can help me resolve this. I
just know it will be simple, but after several hours going in circles,
I'm stumped.

Thanks, Norm C
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jeepster-WA - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 22:22

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 22:22
G'Day norm, I am a new user also and having my own problems with the software, it closes my computer down as soon as i start the moving map function, I will try and find an answer on the archives. As for your problem I ignored the messsage insert disc and hit the ok button and the maps loaded.

Cheers

Andy
AnswerID: 149917

Reply By: mcgra (VIC) - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 22:25

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 22:25
hi norm

look in config and see where you are telling it to search for maps, you check the box for it to look in that location there is about 4-5 default locations from memory.

its a simple fix, also try reading the help files i did made life a little easier

gra
AnswerID: 149918

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 23:29

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 23:29
Thanks mcgra. Interesting. The help file (which I have printed in full and read the config sections until the ink has faded) indicates that the Image file paths don't need to be specified. It will check places in order, including drives selected.

On the laptop I have now entered a path in the first image field for the Raster Maps. Seems to now work OK, except that I still regularly get a 'there is no disk in the drive' error message (but not always). If I just press cancel, it looks on the c drive and finds the map OK.

The interesting thing is that on my desktop (have also loaded OziExplorer and Rasters on it), I have not specified a path for map images, just selected the drive to search. It works fine.

Anyway I've made progress. Thanks for your help. Looks like the 'learning OziExplore journey' may be as interesting and challenging as any of the trips we have done or plan.
FollowupID: 403268

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 23:31

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 23:31
Use the built in .map file editor to edit the .map files to reflect the correct path
AnswerID: 149929

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 00:53

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 00:53
file/change image file name, path and drive. Do all the .map files in one foul swoop. Was a bugga before he introduced that feature.
FollowupID: 403283

Reply By: The Explorer - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 11:23

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 11:23
Hello - a quick fix is to put all the images and all their associated calibration (*.map) files in the same directory. If you do this the image path becomes irrelevant as OziExplorer always looks in same directory as the image first for a calibration file irrespective of what is recorded in the *.map file as image path.
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 149987

Sponsored Links