motorola sat phone

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 09:04
ThreadID: 29943 Views:3058 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
read that motorola sat phone will accept any prepaid sim card - is that correct.

interested in used 9500 and told prepaid sim cards on iridium are expensive.
can prepaid cards purchased overseas be used here.

interested only for security in bush do prepaid cards have expired date or not.

have searched forum and learned a lot thanks

what is considered a reasonable price for a second hand 9500.

regards peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jack - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 10:43

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 10:43
Hi Peter

I have a 9500. Not ready to sell it just yet.

Not sure about any sim card, as I bought a Telstra pre-paid for mine ($30 a month with $10 in free calls from memory). The card is about the size of a credit card, not one of those tiny sims like I have in my GSM mobile.

I *think* they would go for about $500 - $600 second hand. Might be worth keeping an eye out on eBay, which is where I picked mine up from about 18 months ago.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 149979

Follow Up By: gqpat - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 11:58

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 11:58
Hi Jack these telstra prepaid cards are they6 sat phone only cards and how long do the credita last for was thinking off getting a sat phone but dont want all the monthly charges as would only use it 4-5 times ayear for week at time .are there any other charges with these cards or is it simply pay as you go type thing..
FollowupID: 403331

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 14:20

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 14:20
Hi gqpat:

I seem to recall it costing me about $30 to get connected, then $30 a month after that. I guess it is not strictly *pre-paid*, but it was the cheapest I could get into it for.

I am pretty sure the Telstra site will have all the guff on it. I did a couple of remote trips and was happy to have it along. I have one more large-ish trip to do this year then I will sell it.

No "pay as you go" as far as I can find out - I would have liked that as well. You may like to investigate the possibility of some Government subsidy that exists with Sat phone. It is designed for people in remote locations, but if you are travelling ina nd through these sort of places I believe it is available. Not sure what / how it works.

Jack

FollowupID: 403353

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 14:38

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 14:38
orry for the double post ...

Telstra Sat Phone Link

Found this on the "Telstra Mobile Satellite" link ...

"Before buying a handset, it is worth checking your eligibility for a handset subsidy which is available to people who live, work or operate a business in an area not served by the terrestrial GSM or CDMA mobile network.

The Commonwealth Government's Satellite Phone Subsidy Scheme (SPSS), is available to residents of all states and territories.

Telstra Mobile Satellite dealers have details of the schemes and can assist you with additional information and contacts.

Note that the application for either subsidy needs to be made before purchase.".

Might be useful.

Jack

FollowupID: 403368

Reply By: peterseaford - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 13:09

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 13:09
thanks Jack read some place that the motorola will take a normal sim card on this site some time ago . i rely on hf radio but my son was in outback wa last month and said he could'nt hear any vks737 at all - just constant interferance so i am considering a sat phone just in case

thanks for your info regards peter
AnswerID: 150000

Reply By: peterseaford - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 13:28

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 13:28
just found the thread i needed posted last year.
seems that telstra have special pricing if u use the gsm card in your sat phone. there is and adaptor that you slip the smaller sim card into that changes the card to the size required in the motorola.

furthermore thay say that to dial into the sat the prefix is 0404 and to phone any australian number on the satphone using the gsm card just dial the area caoe if in australia and calling otherwise 061 prefix.

have you tried that - seems a cost less solution - if it works regards peter
AnswerID: 150001

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 14:22

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 14:22
Thanks for that. Peter. I will look into it. When I do any sort of long trip I have a GSM, a CDMA and the Sat phone. Be nice to be able to leave most of them at home.

CDMA is essential in Tassie. There does not seem to be any GSM outside of Hobart that I could find when I was there last year.

Jack

FollowupID: 403357

Reply By: Member - Geoff M (Newcastle) - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 14:52

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 14:52
Hello Peter,
Pretty much everything you've been told here is accurate regarding SIM cards.
If you have an ordinary GSM mobile, just have the SIM enabled for international roaming and it'll work fine in the Iridium phones.
I've a 9505 like Jack's. To use a normal GSM SIM in the Motorola you'll need an adaptor card. Should be available from Dick Smith, used to be.
These are as stated above, accept a normal GSM SIM and make them about the size of a credit card for fitting into the Iridium handset. (Your GSM SIM started out that size, the piece was broken out to fit a GSM set)
Before you make any calls with the Iridium and your normal GSM SIM check the rates. I know Telstra have "special" rates for these types of calls.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 150010

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 15:09

Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 15:09
This was answered less than a fortnight ago. I'm not typing it all again, I've answered it at least three or four times in the last 12 months - along with other satphone questions. Please search thoroughly before posting. It's not hard.

And no they won't accept ANY prepaid SIM card. There are cheap options other than buying the adapter.

Even the question regarding the second hand 9500's has been answered along with how to pick the problems that can result with these phones as a result of poor design.

Dave
AnswerID: 150157

Sponsored Links