Headlight fuses on GU Patrol

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 11:31
ThreadID: 29946 Views:12847 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Okay, I'm willing to take a few hits from any smart@rses out there.......
Where the hell is/are the fuse/s for the headlights on the GU Patrol (4.2TD if that matters)???
The first place I looked was on the plastic cover just near the battery/fuel filter. Sure enough there are 2 little boxes on the description panel that say "H/Light L" and "H/Light R"........... Too easy I thought. I was advised by Frank of Xenonoz to change my fuses from 15amp to 20amp before using the HIDs.
So, I lifted the plastic cover, only to find that half of the slots where fuses are supposed by located are in fact EMPTY!!!, including the 2 spots for the headlights. There are others there which I can understand being vacant (like seat heaters and headlight washers etc).

So, I checked the fuse panel under the dash, and no headlight fuses there either!!!

Luckily, the HIDs work okay anyway, but strewth, I'd like to know where the fuses are located for 'ron........... ;-)))

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 12:18

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 12:18
Have another look at the label on that (underbonnet) fuse cover, Roachie....

2x 15A (LH & RH) fuses neat the bottom (nearer the mudguard).....

Now, about those HIDs, how big a difference?
Any improvement in spread & reach??

Catch ya later.....
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 149989

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 12:22

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 12:22
DOH!!!
typo.... 2nd line.... _near_ the bottom (of the label)
Confucius say.....

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 403336

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 12:38

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 12:38
G'day Ed,
On my plastic cover, the diagram shows that they are closer to the fuel filter end, rather than the inner guard....I'll go and check again cos I've been wrong MANY times b4.

The HIDs are excellent. As I've said elsewhere, i haven't been on any long out of town trips with them yet, so not sure how they'll be for eye-strain/fatigue etc. The real beauty of them (which is what I was seeking) is the improved low beam performance. I have good spot lights (even though the standard high beam was hopeless), but when I dipped down and the 240s went off, the low beam left me floundering for a few seconds.

Now, I'm fairly confident the new HID's low beam will be vastly easier upon transitioning from high to low.

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 403338

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 13:13

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 13:13
Thanks Ed,
Just went out in the 46oC heat and had a "girls look" ( as opposed to the "boy's look" that I had the other night!!!!!!).

Sure nuff, there are 2 15amp fuses closer to the inner guard. Stuffed if I know why Mr Nissan would have 2 areas both marked as headlights???

Have now replaced the 15 amp fuses with 20 amp fuses.
FollowupID: 403342

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 15:56

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 15:56
Roachie, I'm guessing that the vacant (20A) slots are for the factory-fitted (or dealer-fitted) driving lights.... probably a spare plug there somewhere for a loom to plug into??..
Perhaps someone who has a vehicle with said driving light package may wish to confirm (or deny) this????....
Confucius say.....

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 403390

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 12:28

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 12:28
Didn't know myself Bill so just been and had a look. They are in the fuse box in the engine bay directly behind the battery. The first place I loked was the relay box next to the battery (which I though was the fuse box). Try there.
AnswerID: 149992

Reply By: Exploder - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 14:23

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 14:23
You think you had problems, just went out and had a look at my Fuse boxes and counted 56 that’s right 56 fuses LOL That I sore!! And no diagram pointing out what fuse is for what, There are also about 4 other boxes positioned around the engine bay that I think have relay and stuff in them, Hope I never have to track down a electrical gremlin under my bonnet.

Why the increase in Amp Fuse for the HID lights don’t they draw equal or less power than standard globes?
AnswerID: 150007

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 15:30

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 15:30
It's just the initial hit, when you first turn them on the ballast needs a bit of grunt from my understanding of it. Once they're on, they only draw 35 watts.
FollowupID: 403380

Sponsored Links