Cowombat Flat Walk

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 12:16
ThreadID: 29948 Views:5503 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day All, We will be in the area of Cowombat Flat and would like some info please. Has anyone done the walk into Cowombat Flat from Macfarlens Flat Track? How far?Is it hard to find?(we are not expert walkers) Hope to hear from someone who has done it recently. Thanks. BB
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alan W - Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 00:12

Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 00:12
G'day Brian,
Have always walked in via the Limestone- Black Mountain Rd end. This way is about 20 km each way with a couple of hills to contend with, great scenery to make it all worthwhile.

Looking at my Suggan Buggan map 8524-S Macfarlane Flat Track way in is about 10 km with a spur to climb. Never gone in this way for reasons unknown but will try it in March as you've raised my curiosity.

If you are asking if Cowombat Flat is hard to find the answer is no. It's quite a large cleared area, so large in fact that a stricken plane tried to land there. The wreakage is getting smaller as the years go by.

I was last there in March 2005 and the fires had missed Cowombat, so was looking as good as ever. Not many people bother to visit this area as it takes some effort, so all the times i've been there we've had the place to ourselves

Happy Camping
Regards
Alan
AnswerID: 150078

Follow Up By: Brian Booth - Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 09:55

Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 09:55
Thanks for the info Alan. 40k's in a day would be a bit hard for us. We will hopefully get some more info soon. Thanks again BB
FollowupID: 403515

Follow Up By: Member - Des - Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 10:18

Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 10:18
I think Cowombat Flat Tk may be a shorter route than McFarlane's Flat Tk.

Both are old vehicle tracks. You could ride a mountain bike along it if you don't think you can walk there and back.

Both tracks were closed by Vic under pressure from NSW to create a wilderness area. Ron Moon claims that the consultative committee was told, "You can have either Davies Plain or Cowombat Flat for 4WD access, but not both; the other will be a wilderness area." They chose Davies Plain.
FollowupID: 403518

Follow Up By: Alan W - Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 16:58

Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 16:58
G'day Brian and Des

I got the gate locations from parks website which states there is a locked gate on Macfarlane Flat Track at the Cobberas Track intersection, by the map mentioned above it's about 10 km in to Cowombat.

As said never been in this way only Limestone - Black Mountain which is 20 km, this takes us about 6-7 hours to walk in. (Avg about 3kmh) Thats with packs on for a weekends stay. So to walk in and out this way in one day is not really feasible, even with only day packs it could take 5 hours at 4kmh one way.

From the Macfarlane end it still could take 3 hours at approx 3kmh. Thats 6 hours of walking alone, stay 2 hours at Cowombat, total 8 hours = a big day, if you not use to it.

Have thought about the use of my mountain bike to access Cowombat from the Limestone end. The idea was to have a base camp at the locked gate and then ride in and out in one day.
The reason against this is I perfer to stay at Cowombat instead of Bulley Creek as it's one my favourite campsites, and to carry all the gear neccessary on the bike would prove difficult because.......
To keep the track open due to the track being closed to vehicles they use a dozer(Assuming) so large rocks are left on the track which would nessitate in carrying the bike and gear for some distance. That is not fun, been there done that before.. (This is probably the main reason for me not taking the bike)

Also I would assume that they would bulldoze the track from one end to the other so Macfarlanes could be in the same state( Remember I,ve never been that way)

Hope this helps with your planning.
Regards
Alan
FollowupID: 403589

Reply By: Des Lexic - Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 16:42

Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 16:42
We did that walk a few years ago with a group of people some who were fairly fit 60+year olds. It was a fairly easy walk of about 7 or 8 k's each way from memory with a couple of steeper hills to get over all on well defined tracks. We found the springs that eventually become the Murray but didn't find the cairn that signifies the border. We camped up on the McFarlanes track intersection with the track that leads to Cowombat Flat. Take your time and you will have no problems.

Cheers
Des
AnswerID: 150163

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 20:02

Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 20:02
Members of our group did the walk a few weeks back & took them a touch over 5 hours return. (8 1/2 hours return with drive to Limestone creek camp) The walk has a steady climb to the Murray that will test part time hikers but the return trip is downhill :-) The track is not too difficult to follow but the group should be prepared with all the usual navigation gear & clothing.
Cheers Craig.........
AnswerID: 150189

Sponsored Links