light globe upgrade

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 15:18
ThreadID: 29953 Views:1986 Replies:1 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at changing the halogen globes over to the off the shelf xenon globes.

Has any one got any feedback on the off the shelf product (do they work, waste of time) along with any information on getting my hands on a globe replacement chart.

Have looked at the xenonoz site but out of my price range for now.

Thanks in advance,

Ren
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Exploder - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 21:03

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 21:03
If you are talking about the “xenon type equivalent” Globes made by Philips and alike that are still a 55W/60 globe but put out a colour temp equivalent to a 120W globe and produce a much brighter/ whiter light?

If so, yes I have a set of the Philips 4300K type H4 globes and they are a big improvement from the standard globes, Road sighs stand out a lot more and the aria that is illuminated is much clearer than with stock globes, They will not come close to a Real HID but and my spot light’s still out gun them easy but you pay the $2000 for real HID light a for reason.

A couple of different people make them IMO I would stay with the Philips or Narva brad Globes as you at lest know the quality is there and it’s not just for Look’s on the street.

I have also used the 4000K H4 globes from Philips and the 55W H1 blue vision from Narva and IMO these light’s are more of an all weather globe they are better in rain and where there is street lighting I.E around the city. The 4300K globes don’t tend to go as well when other light is present or when it is raining but on dark country roads the 4300K are better IMO.

The 4300K globes the light produced is actually has a hit of Blue in it, these are for off road use only as stated on the Box
The 4000K is a White Light, these are also ADR approved

When my 4300K’s blow I will replace them with the 4000K ones as I feel these are better overall, thou probably not as illuminating as the 4300.

I have a photo off them In action at night on a unsealed road, If you really like I will set up a online Photo account and Post a photo for you too look at.
AnswerID: 150053

Follow Up By: Rengat - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 22:17

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 22:17
I think I'll go with the 4000k, anything has to be an improvement on the halogens I've got now.

Is it as simple as aglobe change over or do you need to upgrade fuses at all?

thanks for the offer of the photo but I'll take your word or teh result of it. I'll chnage over in 2 stages the bottom dfactory fitted driving lights and then the headlights.

it will give me a chance to make a comparison

thanks for the feedback,

FollowupID: 403456

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 22:59

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 22:59
You most likely only have to change the globes however I would always fit relays if you dont already have them for both low and high beams. Easy to do and you guarantee the best voltage at the globe for most light output and efficiency
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 403465

Follow Up By: Exploder - Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 00:39

Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 00:39
No you don’t need to upgrade the fuses, they are the same wattage as what you have in there now, the light produced is just of a higher quality or that equal to a higher wattage globe.

When you say factory fitted driving light’s you mean 55W Hi beams yes? Not 100 or 130W Spotlight’s.

It's also good to remember that a lot of it has to do with how good the reflectors are in the light's, you can have the best Globs around but if you have chit reflectors behind the globe the light output will also be chit.

FollowupID: 403481

Follow Up By: Rengat - Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 08:24

Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 08:24
Yes I did mean the 55W.

Good point about the reflectors though, made me take off the headlight covers to check them.

Reflectors look good but didn't realise how scratched and damaged my headlight protectors were.

Took one off and went for a drive and the difference between left and right was noticable.

Looks like new headlight protectors as well, or a good rub with some brasso.

cheers,

FollowupID: 403507

Sponsored Links