notebooks

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 16:08
ThreadID: 29955 Views:1672 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I want to use my notebook computer on the road. Can I connect it to the cigarete lighter for power? It is an acer 3503WLMi and has a wireless network connection. I was told I can just use the internet at Mcdonalds etc
Do I have to get a wireless modem at home before I can. If I can use it at Mcdonalds how is it priced?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 16:17

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 16:17
If it has a wireless network capability, you can use it at place like McDonalds and other internet hot spots.

It should let you know when there is a network in the area. Not sure about the Dell but my toshiba has a switch to turn off the wireless connection. Just check out your manual it should tell you.

For the car connection, you will probably need a special adapter as most laptops these days use 18 volts to charge the battery. Again check your manual.

You can pick up an adapter at Dick Smiths or Tandy for about $180.00.

AnswerID: 150021

Follow Up By: trailermaker46 - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 17:16

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 17:16
Thanks v much for your help I will have to go to Dick Smith
FollowupID: 403410

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 17:45

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 17:45
They/it is called a KERIO and is specifically made for laptops/notebooks.

Some will say ' your playing with yourself - get an inverter, does the lot'.

Well thats debatable, however the KERIO is set at a particular amp output. that covers all (I think so) laptops and is a very SAFE item to use.

Dick Smith is the only one I know that sells them
FollowupID: 403413

Follow Up By: cruiser - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 19:48

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 19:48
Kerio is also sold at Tandy (which is owned by Woolworths as is Dick Smiths)
FollowupID: 403430

Follow Up By: V8 Troopie - Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 01:15

Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 01:15
The Kerio I got from DS is rated 72 Watt continuous. Some laptops draw more than that, so get the DS salesperson to check if your laptop is on the list that comes with the Kerio before you hand over money. If on the list, you also have the correct adaptor plug for the output cable of the Kerio.
Klaus
FollowupID: 403495

Follow Up By: V8 Troopie - Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 01:20

Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 01:20
And another little hint: put some glue lined heat shrink over the adaptor plug and the cable end socket to keep the two locked together permanently. Otherwise it might easily become lost when you unplug the cable from the laptop.
Klaus
FollowupID: 403497

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 02:03

Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 02:03
If I had said go get it from Woolworths, I would have been howled down as a confirmed lunatic and the not the suspected lunatic I am at the moment.

Yeah! Yeah! Tandy and Dick Smiths are one in the same now with the Dick Smith label slowly assuming dominance.

Now to the real things in life other than proving that you have both hands on the 'old fella'.

Most of the so called converters that up the voltage from anywhere between 12V to 24V output at a low amperage.

This has the effect of causing the said laptop/notebook to - in some instances, not all instances - to O/heat . (Hah! I said some not all just for you pedantic plicks out there)

The KERIO outputs at 5amps (from memory). So you have to have a look at you laptop/notebook and determine what it requires. ( any sane and/or normal person would do that anyway). If it requires morew than 5amps then maybe a pure sine wave inverter is you choice of poison.

In my case I require 19V at 4.5 amps ( Bizarre I Know) so that is what it gets via the KERIO.

Also I like the heat shrink tip.
AnswerID: 150092

Reply By: PBob - Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 19:46

Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 19:46
I use my laptop in the car. I bought from Supercheap an adapter that plugs into the lighter socket. It comes with several adapters for different computors, you will need to check these when purchasing. My adapter (it has protection built in) was $50 odd bucks. I also plug into my laptop, my Kyocers mobile phone via a cable and dial up 1X technology for fairly fast internet connection. I cannot use my outside arial though as the cable plugs into the bottom of the phone, which is where it sits in the cradle in the car.
AnswerID: 150187

Sponsored Links