Tailshaft

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 17:04
ThreadID: 29957 Views:5475 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, want to know how much grease you should pump into the slide shaft of the rear tail shaft (hope that makes sense dont know the correct part name) on my hilux. Have watched a dvd showing how/where all the greasable points are which I knew any way but the part that got me was when greasing this shaft they say to pump enough in so that you can see the grease just coming out around where it slides, but on the other hand I have been told not to pump that much in or you will get a hydraulic lock effect and the shaft wont slide properly or you will blow seals (didnt know there was any in that part of the tailshaft. I do grease it but not to the extent that they did on the dvd. Have also been told it's ok to do it like that as long as the vehicle is not up on jacks/ stands. Concerned that I may be not putting enough into pump any crap out. Any information greatly appreciated. Regards Steve M
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brett_B - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 17:41

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 17:41
Hi Stephen

I had a Lux same as the one in your photo there.

Dont fill the Hilux shafts.

I learnt how much grease to place in the tail shaft the hard way, I filled it once thinking I was doing the correct thing "DOH"

One trip I heard a crack during had acceleration, later the diff became noisy, it turns out the pinion bearing cracked.

The tail shaft had to much grease not allowing it to slide in and out as the diff moves forward and back under load.

In the later Lux I purchased I greased the tail shaft every 10,000 klm,one push of the grease gun, this was advised by Trans Diff, the mob that rebuilt my diff :-) never had a problem after 180,000 in the old truck (later mod Lux)

You live and learn

Hope this made sence

Brett
AnswerID: 150032

Follow Up By: Brett_B - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 17:46

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 17:46
Forgot to mention that if your tail shaft is "overfilled" unbolt it from the diff, remove your grease nipple and push your tail shaft in, making the splines slide in all the way, this will remove the excess grease.

Brett
FollowupID: 403414

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 11:44

Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 11:44
Hi there Brett, will take your advice on that one and will do as you said then I will know from then on only one squirt every approx 5k should keep me out of trouble,funny thing is I had all the front hubs etc serviced before christmas new wheel bearings as well up front and he greased the whole thing front to back as well for me (only cost me a carton I love services like that !!) funny thing its leaking around the rear pinion seal now have to get fixed, I wonder if that had anything to do with it. Hmmm Thanks for the advice, have a great weekend what's left of it. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 403531

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 18:34

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 18:34
Tailshaft "spline" is the part I believe - lets the shaft lengthen and shorten as the suspension works.
AnswerID: 150038

Reply By: Member - Stephen (WA) - Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 20:52

Saturday, Jan 21, 2006 at 20:52
Stephen M

I have a 'cuiser and I stick about 6 to 8 squirts in every 3 to 5,000 km.

I reckon I'm overdoing it slightly as I see a reasonable "line" of grease spatter on the underbody that lines up with the slipjoint on my driveshafts.

I too heard the thing about waiting until you see grease emanate from the joint and the first time I did it I kept pumping grease in until I saw the joint move with each squirt of the gun. I stopped as soon as I saw this happen - but there was still no grease oozing from the joint. Figuring I had filled the shaft up with grease and it was "hydraulic" pressure trying to drive the shafts apart, I drove very gently for a while after that so that I could give it time to release the pressure. When I looked under the 'cruiser sometime later there was heaps of grease spatter everywhere.

Cheers
Stephen J
VKS737 - Mobile 2735

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 150051

Reply By: Bros 1 - Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 08:41

Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 08:41
Stephen M,
Interesting point raised here as i am one of the "fill em up" brigade. Done a diff up the Cape a couple of years ago. This may have contributed to that mishap. Worth thinking about. Just one pump in the future for me.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 150101

Reply By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 11:48

Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 11:48
Thanks all for your replys.Will do what brett said and will be only one squirt verey 5k from now on. Have a great weekend all. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 150126

Sponsored Links