Troopy drivers seat..........

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 22, 2006 at 22:17
ThreadID: 29992 Views:2956 Replies:3 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Evening all,

Need to replace the pax seat in our RV Troopy with a single seat.

So mum and I have our own seat and an esky (read Waeco/engel/fridge/cool box) can sit in between us. (we're old u know......don't need to sit close any more!!)

Recent post told me that a drivers seat can be relocated to the pax side with minimal effort (all about export to left hand drive countries etc..)

Have tried 'everywhere', even NT ( who never replied) to find a seat. Quite willing to get it recovered/reupholstered.

Any SA based forumites able to come forth with some ideas, tried all the reputable? wreckers. BTW what other models would fit?

Thanks
Michael B (SA)

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rod W - Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 16:10

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 16:10
Check 80 series, Hilux's, Dyna's Lexus's etc. The vast majority of componets are interchangable as Mr Toyota ain't going to make seperate componets that ain't.
AnswerID: 150324

Follow Up By: Michael B - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 13:41

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 13:41
Thanks Rod,

Did think about others, but had been told the drivers seat from a Troopy would just bolt in.

Will do some more checking.

Rgds
Michael
FollowupID: 404031

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 23:11

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 23:11
Michael,

The person who suggested using another drivers seat had never actually done it. I looked at doing that and it was all too hard. In the end I bought a pair of Recaros from one of the cheap jap parts places at Holden Hill, and got Willshires to fit it, and relocate the seat belt.

Recaros cost $650-1200 a pair second hand, and the fitting was about $290 for the passengers seat.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 150472

Follow Up By: Michael B - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 13:50

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 13:50
Phil,

Was it too hard because you could not find a decent drivers seat or would it just not 'bolt in' as has been suggested?

We live 2 hours Nth of Adelaide and am unable to pop down that often.

Did look at aftermarket seats at the last 4x4 show in Adelaide, Recaros from memory were not very cheap but what put me off was the salesman. I asked about the need to have them checked/certified and was told "don't know, you'd have to find out when they are installed"

Did you have to get yours checked at Regency Park?

Thanks for the input,

Michael B (SA)
FollowupID: 404036

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 18:25

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 18:25
Michael,

I looked at fitting my drivers seat onto the passengers side, and the holes and offsets etc were different, so it is not a simple option.

New Recaros are very expensive - I think about $2k each. Second hand was a much cheaper option for me. I good friend did the same and bought a very tidy pair of Recaros for about $850 for his 79series.

The salesmen are always cagy about the legalities, and happily in SA, its all a bit vague. Don't quote me on the following, but I have been told that as long as you use the original seat anchor points, you are fine. But for me, to make it "legal" I went to Willshires and have a receipt from them, because I wanted the seat belt mounts relocated, and they were an authorised seat and seat belt fitter. So I gather if you get an authorised company to fit them, there is no requirement to have the vehicle inspected at Regency Park.

Next can of worms is the number of seats in the vehicle. So with Recaros, mine goes from a 3 seater to a 2 seater. No big deal in my book, but on occasions I'll put the original passengers seat back in the front so I can take 3 people in the vehicle. So to change the compliance would be useless for me.

You can also phone up Regency Park to get this info straight from the horses mouth.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 404101

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 19:36

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 19:36
Phil,

There are captive nuts for the drivers seat on the passenger side. They are under the sheet metal floor.
To get to them remove the floor covering, place the drivers seat on the passenger side of the vehicle. Line the outer most bolt holes, the ones nearest the passenger door. Mark with a marker the other two bolt holes directly on the sheet metal floor. Remove the seat and where the marks, are just tap that area with the ball end of a ball pane hammer. A small depression will appear and the sheet metal should come away revealing a captive nut.

Looking under the vehicle will not help because there is a cross member the runs over the captive nuts.

Wayne
FollowupID: 404125

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 21:46

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 21:46
Hi Wayne,

Yeah, I know about the captive nuts on the 75series. But they aren't there on the 79series. I haven't had a look at the 78series, but know what you mean about the crossmember and the fuel tank underneath it. In my case, Willshires had to cut a hole and then slide a captive nut and retainer underneath, within that crossmember.

Also the seat belt bolt which normally takes the passengers side and centre seat belt bits is too far over to the passenger side when you fit a bucket seat. So I had that relocated to where it would normally be on the RV models.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 404181

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 22:28

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 22:28
Phil,

You would think that there would be captive nuts in the floor for a bucket seat in the 78 and 79 series. The RV has bucket seat so they should have something easy to bolt them in.
BTW can you get the 78/79 series in petrol and if so what motor do they have 6cyl or V8?

Wayne
FollowupID: 404210

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 07:22

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 07:22
Hi Wayne,

Yeah, thats what I thought too. Mine's not an RV. The vinyl had the spots marked, but definitely nothing underneath when they fitted the nuts.

The 78/79 comes with the 4.5 litre 6 cyl petrol thats been in LandCruisers since 1993. Its the only model that still has this motor. They sell very few of them, but for a recreational vehicle they take some beating.

Toyota website has the details - I don't think anythngs changed on that model since 1999. Also they come with the stronger H150F gearbox.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 404277

Reply By: Pterosaur - Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 20:29

Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 20:29
Hi,

there is a Troopy driver's seat currently (29 January)for sale on the TroopyOz forum if you're still interested.

I am looking at transferring mine to the LHS, after fitting a Paratus seat to the driver's side - got it direct from the factory, for a bit of a saving.

Have initially examined bolt setup etc., and found (on my 78 series troopy) a front mount for the RHS (of the LHS seat), but it appears that the rear one may have to be drilled - and it may require relocation of seat belt anchor points.

see you
AnswerID: 151650

Follow Up By: Michael B - Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 21:10

Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 21:10
Tks Pterosaur,

I had asked the question on TroopyOz, but no replies and found the forum not very user friendly.

Will have another look.

Thanks again
Michael
FollowupID: 405260

Sponsored Links