Nappa Merrie-Arrabury-Haddon Crn

Submitted: Friday, Jan 17, 2003 at 21:40
ThreadID: 3001 Views:1918 Replies:1 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Wondering if any members are familiar with these roads/tracks, as we're
looking on towing our 17ft All Roads van thru that way in May, and was wondering how much sand has to be driven thru now? or are the tracks now formed roads al-la the Tiboburra-Fort Grey-Cameron Crn-Merty Merty road. We're not wanting to get stuck on sand hill after sand hill. :-(((((

I realise that conditions change with the weather etc...and hopefully
the drought will have broken, but the roads wont be flooded in May :-)))
but I'm not aware of the structure of this track/road...

TIA
Graham
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Richard - Saturday, Jan 18, 2003 at 22:02

Saturday, Jan 18, 2003 at 22:02
G'day Graham, went through that way a couple of months ago myself, real good area.Firstly, from memory, Nappa-Arrabury theres about 100 sand dunes to go over [didn't actually count but I heard it's that many] most aren't a problem as the base is really hard there were a few however that did have some reasonably soft sand on them, didn't have to engage 4wd though but I wasn't towing anything, still shouldn't present much of a problem. Most of it is basically just 2 wheel tracks. Arrabury up I think was similar at the south end but the further north you go the flatter it gets. Look out for some real bad corrugations though.To get into Haddon Cnr itself there are about 5 soft dunes to get over where 4wd is needed. As b4, wasn't towing anything myself so not sure but not a problem to drop it if need to. Hope this helps. I definitly recommend the run up that way, you'll enjoy it.
AnswerID: 11498

Follow Up By: Graham - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 08:13

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 08:13
Thanks Richard, just the input I was looking for, and as you mention dropping the van for the run into Haddon Crn seems the right idea.
FollowupID: 6476

Follow Up By: Graham - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 16:39

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 16:39
Richard, wondering if you could recommend good overnight camping spot along the track Arrabury-Haddons or north of Haddons enroute to birdsville.??
FollowupID: 6570

Follow Up By: Richard - Sunday, Jan 26, 2003 at 11:20

Sunday, Jan 26, 2003 at 11:20
Graham, just do what I did... when you find a good looking spot, stop there. Just a word of warning, when you start heading west to Birdsville the corrugations get really bad. Along with the rockyness of the road it makes for a real shakey ride [it's not called Sturt Stony Desert for nothing ha ha]. I went through about half the tread on my tyres going across there,the rocks tend to chew the rubber up a bit, mind you I was pushing it a bit. Oh yeah, back to the camping bit, that road west to Birdsville is just endless gibber plains, not much in the way of shadey areas [if that bothers you] so camp b4 Haddons. Cheers.
FollowupID: 6784

Follow Up By: Graham - Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 14:26

Thursday, Feb 13, 2003 at 14:26
Richard, thanks for the tip, I'll camp before Haddons...cya
FollowupID: 7630

Sponsored Links