HF Radio Aerials which one

Submitted: Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 17:05
ThreadID: 30022 Views:1846 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a CodanNGT and it came with 2 aerials a fibre Glass one and a Stainless Steel one, I have used them both and there appears to be no difference in the radio reception between them! Question: is there surpose to be a difference and which one do you normally use, ALSO is it Ok to connect the HF Power cables to the deep cycle battery in my duel battery system or should I keep it connected to the main battery.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: brumac - Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 17:21

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 17:21
The experts say the glass one works better.Our glass aerial started playing up so I now use the stainless one. Our radio runs through a heavy duty fuse to our deep cycle battery.
AnswerID: 150347

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 18:40

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 18:40
Cobber,

I have the same, fibre glass ans stainless steel aerials. The fibre glass I use when I am in the open, no low branches over the track. The Simpson Desert for example. The stainless steel I use in places like the Vic High Country where trees are growing over the track and some times very low. The stainless has more flex to bend under the branches.

When in the Simpson or on Stockton beach using the fibre glass aerial is also a good place to hang a red flag.

Wayne
AnswerID: 150373

Reply By: VK3CAT - Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 19:28

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 19:28
The fibre glass whip is a hollow tube with a straight bit of wire inside it. It is better for use whilst mobile because it will not flex. It is normally used with the stainless steel spring. It is also a bit longer than the stainless steel whip so will be slightly more efficient & be able to tune at a lower frequency than the shorter stainless steel unit.
For portable (ie not mobile use) leave either whip on and place a length of wire into the spring. As long as the wire is shorter than a 1/4 wave length, the Codan 9350 will tune it. I use a 7 metre length of wire & a giant squid pole on the bull bar to support it. Transmission & reception will be much improved. If the wire is at an angle (ie not completely vertical) there will be some slight gain in antenna performance in the direction of the length of wire. The wire could also be an L shape to obtain greater length.
Wayne, have you heard anything yet :-)
Cheers Tony.
AnswerID: 150392

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 20:05

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 20:05
Tony,
Thank you for asking.
I gave the HF a go when I was in the Snowy over New Year. I was able to pick up Adelaide Base and also St Marys. I could hear them but I was coming in a bit weak to them.
I will give it another go when I am in the Vic High Country in February.

Wayne
FollowupID: 403843

Sponsored Links