Another One Bites the Dust

Submitted: Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 20:13
ThreadID: 30034 Views:2539 Replies:11 FollowUps:23
This Thread has been Archived
I was talking to Alex, one of the drivers for GDT, and he said that when he was on Stockton Beach on Sunday when he saw a GU Patrol getting towed off the beach.

It was a Police vehicle and they have late model 3lt diesel Patrols. The police were not that talkative but from what Alex found out from the tow truck driver it was a blown motor.

Wayne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 20:23

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 20:23
Considering their resources, it might be a tad embarraskin for em, the poor little cherubs :)))))))
Anyway haven't you realized that the police are only keen to chat when they want something ? Otherwise it's "Police Business".
AnswerID: 150409

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 20:26

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 20:26
I guess I shouldn't be so hard. I've actually met a few friendly and helpful chaps in my time. Usually in remote areas and small towns.
Goodness me, some of my friends and relatives are in the job, otherwise I wouldn't have done this suck post :)))))))))))
FollowupID: 403854

Follow Up By: hl - Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 20:30

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 20:30
And the Towtruck driver's sister-in law husband's brother's friend's best mate reckoned it was number four piston.
Cheers

FollowupID: 403855

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 20:36

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 20:36
Well said. as Kath and Kim would say I am not casting "nasturtiums" but I am afraid I want to see each blown engine with my own eyes from now on. I seriously no longer believe there are that many blown up GU's out there.
FollowupID: 403856

Follow Up By: Nav 8 - Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 20:58

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 20:58
No longer belive there are that many blown up GUs out there ,, WELL I DO. and I own a ZD30.,,,, Nav.
FollowupID: 403861

Follow Up By: Eddy - Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 21:27

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 21:27
I had long since stopped believing in commercial operators who believe in fairytales.

BUT you commercial web-site has convinced me differently.
http://4wd.djolsen.com/
From your members profile.

You suprise me David O

Believe on. There must be a heck of a lot of 3l td owners who are complete liars
FollowupID: 403876

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 21:45

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 21:45
The survey conducted by a member here and on several other web sites revealed only 3 blown engines.

Nav I know of yours from this forum.

Eddy, I have no idea what you are talking about. I guess you feel I am a commercial operator who believes in fairytales. Fair enough. But what I actually said was I only believe what I see. I see a total of 3 confirmed blown engines so far. No fairy tales.

I am not calling anyone a liar. I know there are blown engines out there, I know some of them are due to a problem associated with lubrication and "I believe" high sulphur or extended service intervals. I simply do not believe that every account of a blown engine that I see in the many forums I read are actual factual accounts of blown ZD30's.

The news of the blown engine is a best specualtive. "from what he was able to find out" not "it was confirmed that it was a blown engine." The police use 3 litre patrols so it must have been a three litre. That is not a fairy tale but it sure aint a confirmed case of a blown zd30.

Cheers

David

FollowupID: 403881

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 22:04

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 22:04
Eddy

Forgot to ask. what commercial operator p%#ss$% you off recently, enough to attack me because I believe the report to be speculative. As you can see by my web site we are a husband and wife team not some huge franchised operation with teenage kids acting as experts.

I stand and fall by what I say, and I say that I believe there is way too much speculation about the ZD30, and the ratio of actual confirmed first hand cases on the forums is about 50th of the reported cases. ie for every 50 cases I see reported on the forums I actually see only one actual confirmed blown engine.

I am used to such negative reporting I used to own two Range Rovers and they covered more of this country than just about any four wheel drive I know. I broke down once. Had to remove the fuel pump from the tank and clean the contacts. we were 150 kilomtres north west of Tennent Creek alone on a track that hadn't been travelled for 2 years, in the Tanami. Let me tell you I wouldn't have been there if I had believed all the coswallop about Range Rover reliability that I read every day on the forums. My two rangies were unstoppable. Yes they leaked oil and yes they used a lot of fuel but hell yes they went places.

To those who have blown engine I am truly sorry, I wouldn't like to be in their shoes. But I believe if you get the car serviced at the right intervals by those who know what they are doing and do the right things and run the correct oil you will be OK- fairy tale?

BTW I had been asking at every service for the MAF sensor to be checked- my car is serviced at the dealer I bought it from second hand (large dealer). The service people said sure no problems. Now I find out they cant check the MAF at their shop. it has not been checked! Service departments that actually sservice- Now there is your fairy tale.

Dave O

FollowupID: 403889

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 12:20

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 12:20
I don't give a rats either way, but as I mentioned below, I was sitting down last Saturday afternoon with the ex service manager of a large country dealership who had replaced over 40 Nissan 3.0l motors.

He hadn't just heard of the problem, he had personally overseen the replacements. I say again, this bloke was the service manager. Who else would you suggest might have a better handle on the issue? I live next door to him, have known his wife for 24 years and have absolutely no reason whatsoever to disbelieve a word he says.

His view on the subject is that it's not rocket science. They are simply too small for the job and should never have gone into a full size 4x4 in the first place.
FollowupID: 404006

Follow Up By: Nav 8 - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 12:55

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 12:55
I aggree 100% with the service manager, as a retired diesel mechanic with about 30 yrs experience 20 yrs on 4X4, will admit I was off the tools when this motor was relesed,, I allways have had doubts aboutt a motor that size producing the power they do. I guess i have an old fashion outlook but to me its common sense, that a motor of 3Ltr producing 110Kw has to put a huge strain on all components, there is no error margine,but having said that I own one but I think it will be my last.
Nav.
FollowupID: 404020

Reply By: V8Diesel - Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 20:38

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 20:38
Had a beer with a bloke on the weekend who once worked for Nissan in Karratha. He said they'd replaced over forty 3.0lt's by the time he left which was quite some time ago.
AnswerID: 150416

Follow Up By: Leroy - Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 21:03

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 21:03
yeh I had a bloke with a beer who's wife told me he'd had a blown motor 5 times ....hic up.....burp.....

Leory
FollowupID: 403864

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 12:22

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 12:22
Leroy, see above.
FollowupID: 404007

Reply By: peterK - Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 21:11

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 21:11
or a pulley, bely, battery, lost keys, cracked hose, fuel problem, driver had a cramp, low oil, or one thousand other problems that happen to other vehicles everyday
was talking to a mate whos friend is neighbours with a guy going out with the next door nambers daughter who almost got a job with the NRMA. He says the road service guys have to repond to 200 blown up 3L evert day
AnswerID: 150425

Follow Up By: peterK - Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 21:12

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 21:12
doh
or a pulley, belt
FollowupID: 403869

Follow Up By: peterK - Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 21:36

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 21:36
my post reads a bit sacastic then it was meant to (insert smilie)
not denying there is an issue or that nissan should be more upfront, just think reports should be first hand and confirmed. (insert smilie)

FollowupID: 403877

Reply By: Member - toohey - Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 21:16

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 21:16
g'day wayne
1:the police would'nt be talkative,i don't reckon mechical problems are their expertise.
2:like wise the tow truck driver other wise he'd be a mechanic.
cheers toohey
AnswerID: 150428

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 21:55

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 21:55
Old saying................

"There is none so blind as he who will not see"

AnswerID: 150441

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 22:08

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 22:08
Roachie I know it is a good saying but I have to ask...See what-

speculation that the tow truck driver actually knew what was wrong. Most tow truck drivers I come across have been in the job a week an a half?

speculation that the police carin question was actually a ZD30?

speculation that the engine if it did blow blew because it was a ZD30 and not becasue some young cop forgot to check the water or oil level before he drove it?

FollowupID: 403892

Follow Up By: Eddy - Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 22:22

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 22:22
Hey Ho Davy O

Are you mad at the Cop ( capital C) because he was young, didn't check the oil and water or because it was a ZD30 nissan? ( small n )
Or are you mad at the truck driver because he hasn't got as much time in as you have?

Or are you mad at Roachie for pointing out the obvious to you ?

Eddy
FollowupID: 403897

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 22:36

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 22:36
Eddy

You must be reading me wrong. I am not "mad" with anyone. Not "mad" at all.

I thought I was the one pointing out the obvious- it is all speculation- that is obvious.

Your "small n" comment is intriguing. I support no brands,

Yes there is a Nissan badge on my site so before you suggest the obvious, it is there becasue I want it there not because anyone pays me to. Those who know how Google rates your site will understand why.

Anyway the upshot is I am not angry or as you said "mad" just beleive there is too much specualtion. - I think that was the main jist of my message all along but maybe I didn;t communicate that.

So just in case anyone is in doubt. Not angry with a cop not angry with a tow truck driver not angry with Eddy (though he seems angry with me). As for how much time I have- we all need a leave break don't we? Summer aint real busy in Townsville.

FollowupID: 403898

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 22:49

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 22:49
Hey Eddy

You can relax anyway mate. If I am wrong you will have the ultimate victory. I'll have a blown engine and lots of egg on my face. So from your point of view you are in a pretty good position.

:-)
FollowupID: 403904

Follow Up By: Eddy - Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 23:02

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 23:02
Last thing I want to see mate.

I have had a catrosphically ( hope i spelt that right) blown engine and it wasn't much fun.( Not a Nissan) big N !

I try to take life one day at a time as none of us are guaranteed our next breath.

Yours in friendship

Eddy

FollowupID: 403907

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 00:01

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 00:01
you got it right there Roachie!! Some will always live in denial...
FollowupID: 403923

Reply By: Member - David 0- Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 22:14

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 22:14
BTW Wayne,

I am by no means having a go at you or your mate, just trying to strike a little balance.

:-)

Dave O
AnswerID: 150455

Reply By: JR - Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 23:56

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 23:56
Just for the record, I had a ZD30 fail and "blow" the motor, whilst being repaired saw with my own eyes a large number of replaced short motors in a shed at the dealer.
Problem has probably been larely fixed now but was a serious issue for some time.
Ill also add the two other occassions the ZD30 stopped for sensor issues and fuel pump problems and had to be towed.
It was serviced at the dealer for every 5000km service.
I still buy Patrols but it will take some convincing to buy a ZD30 again.
Thank goodness they still sell dinosaur TD42ti's
JR
AnswerID: 150489

Follow Up By: Eddy - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 01:30

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 01:30
Sorry Mate I have to say it .

"It's all speculation"

FollowupID: 403946

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 08:27

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 08:27
Eddy

Read my posts again. I didn't say that the ZD30 didn't blow motors. I didn't say Nissan weren't worried and therefore didn't carry a stock of short motors becasue I don't know if they did.

I know and said there are blown motors out there. I know of only three, though there have been about 150 reports on the various forums.

What I said was the post at the top of this thread was at best speculation.

David
FollowupID: 403965

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 07:51

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 07:51
As i have said before,,, i rekon the 3litre engine is like a ball and chain around my ankles when doing really slow rough hill work...
If i could upgrade to a 4.2litre i would....
Not bad for just buying a car i wanted to keep for 10years...
Its a great car for getting to these places though,,, awsome on road with heaps of passing power...Great fuel economy...
AnswerID: 150506

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 08:29

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 08:29
I agree.

Low power when off boost and turbo lag makes it a bit ordinary in the rough stuff.
I agree I wold choose a different engine next time, but I'd stay with the Patrol.

Dave O
FollowupID: 403966

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 12:47

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 12:47
Manual 3 litre Nissans are tricky to teach people to drive in low range steep difficult conditions. The 2.8 was even worse. All the small T\Ds have their problems off boost in low range. The 3 lt Nissan in auto is a much nicer car to drive in such conditions. I find it interesting what you say about Nissan 3 lts Dave O you say the amount of problems are exageratted and Toyota certainly have had their problems with the 100 series. I find the dealers hush the majority of things right up. I ran a fan through my radiator on my T\D 100 going through shallow surface water on the highway at speed. I saw Toyota and they said "wow thats unusual" Now I personally know 3 freinds who have done the same thing and one has done it twice. I also saw 2 100s with damaged radiators on the Cape last season. A quick run around the radiator shops in Cairns told me they were all VERY familiar with the problem. A phone call to my insurer Suncorp who paid for a new radiator BTW and they assured me they were VERY aware of the problem. It really is hard to know what to believe. I blew my front diff on a small innocent creek crossing Toyota tell me "gee thats unusual" yet word on the net says it quite common. I just need a tuff honest reliable truck and I think for the money we have to pay thats what we should get. Cheers Rob.
AnswerID: 150538

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 13:49

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 13:49
Rob,

Valid comments.

Turbo engines of small capacity can be a bugger. Mine is auto so not so bad but still noticeable particularly when you let the turbo spool down such as idling over difficult terrain and them want to ascend a steep hill.

I agree that the motor companies are bastards when it comes to cover up. By comparison, the internet is prone to exageration. My point was to strike some balance. I don't have my head in the sand, but I just think that a blown engine due to whatever the problem really is, is a blown engine. Whereas, my mate said a bloke said it was a blown engine is something else all together.

As an owner of a ZD30 used for business, you can imagine I am as concerned as anyone, but just as I want the truth from Nissan and am sure not to get it, the truth via the internet seems just as elusive.

ZD30 owners-good luck to us all.

Dave O
FollowupID: 404035

Reply By: flappa - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 13:43

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 13:43
Thats funny because I personally know of 5 blown patrols , ie , people I know PERSONALLY . I also know of another 5 that I have spoken to on forums on a regular basis . . . so thats 10. Thats NOT including anyone from here.

It might be a piddly number compared to the numbers sold , but , they are out there.
AnswerID: 150546

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 14:19

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 14:19
Blokes,
If I owned a 3L Patrol I would seriously be considering gathering together information like that contained above from "JR" and "V8Diesel"..... V8Diesel just mentioned he lives next door to a service manager who has personally overseen the replacement of 40 ZD30 engines. JR has personally seen a large number of blown ZD30 engines in a Nissan dealership workshop.

If it were me, I'd be collating all this type of information as there may be enough chit around to get a CLASS ACTION against Nissan for not doing a recall when they KNEW they had a defective product. Blokes like these service managers could be subpeonered (spelling???) to give evidence that this is/has been a common problem and one they should have fixed by now (or indeed a long time ago).

Nevertheless, I still believe a 3 litre donl is what you stick in a Corolla/Camry/Pintara etc; not a flamin' great 4x4!!!! To me (and I freely admit I'm just a stupid, old-fashioned b@stard), it just doesn't make sense and never has done; right from the time I graciously declined to save $5K on the purchase price of my new GU and opted for the old, sluggish 4.2L T/D
AnswerID: 150556

Sponsored Links