batteries,fridges&suspension???

Submitted: Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 21:13
ThreadID: 30036 Views:2198 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
hi guys and girls,
got my first 4wd and need some info,im a mad keen camper but have only done it in 2 wd.a mate and i and our families heading round aus 4 six months anyhow heres the ques. 1; undecided about what duel battery set is best 4 us,will be camping 1 to 5 days at a time and then moving on,with a major stay up north(1 month in one spot,maybe). have read various write ups on this site-crank,deep cycle,hybrid but unsure.at most will be running fridge flouros.the fourby is a 1999 3lt sr5 toyota hilux disel. any help would be awesome...thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 22:12

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 22:12
To camp in one location for 5 days you will need a generator or solar system of some sort. Parking in one location for a month would probably favor solar combined with a large deep cycle battery to get you through cloudy periods. Is it correct the Hilux doesn't have much under bonnat space for a 2nd battery? as this may then favor a gell cell in the back of the car. Are you towing a camper trailer?
If you want a good system I'd suggest talking to a solar retailer. They will look at what loads you draw, the cars charging system & available space then recomend a complete system. If price is the key concideration (as often is on this site) slip down to Super cheap & pick up a Chinese genny, 2nd starting battery & a solinoid. Cheers Craig.........
AnswerID: 150453

Reply By: 4145derek - Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 22:13

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 22:13
Best to give me a ring if you are in Brisbane.

Regards Derek. 0404 097 627 sidewinder.com.au
AnswerID: 150454

Reply By: Muzzgit (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 00:52

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 00:52
One thing the experts should mention is that you will go further if you have 2 6volt deep cycle batteries hooked up together.
AnswerID: 150499

Reply By: Wisey (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 17:03

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 17:03
Brom

I have same Lux and i got a 2nd/aux bat'ry tray ($25 wreckers) from a petrol model which sits in behind left headlight, it's tight but big bat'ry squeezes in (pics avail). Low mount terminals with terminal covers must be used to keep clear of bonnet . I use a Redarc to seperate batteries when not driving but charge when motor is running. Cig lighter plug for engine bay and /or / also in rear for fridge.

While you say you may stay for some weeks at a time I 'assume' you will drive your car while camping and charge the bat'ries as you tour around or do as suggested in posts above. 40lt fridge will run for about 2 or 3 days on one battery (suggestion only)

Andy
AnswerID: 150583

Sponsored Links