TRAK SHAK - BEHEADING PLANNED .

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 10:19
ThreadID: 30047 Views:3209 Replies:11 FollowUps:23
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy All ,

I have a Trak Shak that I bought for many reasons , but the main one was that it had sooo much room inside . Now my kids have up-an-offed , I don't need the room anymore and I find it a pain in the bum to put it up and down when all I need is the use of a bed for the night .

My idea is to remove the top folding hardtop which houses the canvas and replace it with a simple side foldout canvas design with a soft floor .

I want to get a top quality , one which has no poles to put in during the erection - just a couple of pegs on the ends to hold it down .

I figure I can still use the boat rack etc and all the other bits that I love on it if I do this .

So I would be most grateful to hear from anyone who has any ideas or opinions on the manufacturer to use or the design I should use .

Thanks ,

Willie .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Vince NSW - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 10:29

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 10:29
Morning Willie,
What about the Primus ones that are in the new dogalog. Not sure about the quality ! They claim that they will fit a 5 x 7 trailer but I think they have a max height of 1 mt for the top of the trailer.
Vince
AnswerID: 150524

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 11:04

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 11:04
Vince ,
I will check this out.
Thanks .
FollowupID: 403991

Reply By: Member - Jack - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 10:31

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 10:31
Hi Willie:

First place I'd be going is direct to Trak Sahk to see what their ideas could be.

They are a fantastic camper/trailer and I am considering buying one myself, even though I only need one double bed. Just an amazing amount of room.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 150525

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 11:05

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 11:05
Jack ,
That is a good idea . I will ring Peter and have a talk to him . I agree , they are a brilliant CT.
Thanks .
FollowupID: 403993

Follow Up By: Trev88 - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 17:28

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 17:28
Willie

Trackshak used to make a single fold out soft top with a bouble bed 2.2x2.2 floor plus awaning out the front. all it takes is two poles and two ropes to put up and other poles are optional.

saw two second hand ones at dave benson caravans in adelaide they are worth around $7k

Worth a look to get the set up fro some one to err copy.

Regards

Tevor
FollowupID: 404092

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 18:34

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 18:34
Trevor ,
I found the Benson website , but it had no info of the second hand stuff .
Did these old TShaks open up to the side , or to the rear ? They sound perfect . I am a long way from Adelaide so there is no way I can duck down there for a look .
Thanks .
FollowupID: 404104

Reply By: flappa - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 10:32

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 10:32
If I read it right you are in Sydney.

I'm sure you will find the smaller CT tents , 9 ft or so , will probably work without the need for poles. The internal supports should go to the end of the tent , and be just pegged down.

A company like Complete Campsite at Gosford(and now Campsie I think) that make their own Tops , are good to talk to about YOUR requirements.

There are probably a few builders around Sydney that build just the Camper Tops.
AnswerID: 150526

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 11:06

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 11:06
Yes Flappa , I am in Sydney and you are right about what I want . I will check out Complete Campsite .
Thanks .
FollowupID: 403994

Follow Up By: Boo - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 11:16

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 11:16
I'll second that one.. Complete Campsite would be the one I'ld probly go with. They seemed very easy to talk to and very willing to help with different ideas. Wish we'd bought ours through them instead of the company we did.
FollowupID: 403995

Follow Up By: spak - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 13:45

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 13:45
Boo, where did you get your camper from as I am looking at a camper trailer and have narrowed it down to 4 manufacturers. Don't want to blow hard earned cash on a crappy one.
FollowupID: 404032

Follow Up By: flappa - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 13:52

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 13:52
Which ones you looking at.

there are very few "bad" CT makers , just some better then others.
FollowupID: 404037

Follow Up By: spak - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 14:10

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 14:10
Flappa,
We're looking at Tough Country, Paramount, The Complete Campsite and Challenge.
FollowupID: 404045

Follow Up By: flappa - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 15:36

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 15:36
You are certainly on a good thing with either CC or Challenge.

Dont know much about the other 2.

I personally would be happy to buy either , with my personal pref for the CC. Probably comes down to what you can get from either for the money you want to spend.

The CC guys are very good to talk to and will build what you want , rather then just say , hey , this is what we have , take it or leave it.
FollowupID: 404073

Follow Up By: Boo - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 22:23

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 22:23
Spak..
I'll stress from the start that it's only my findings with the said company and others may be very happy with them.

I will also note that we havent bought any thing from 'Complete' and my oppinion on them is only from discussion and quotes recieved from them and how easy they seemed to sort out and discuss alternatives.

If you hadnt guessed our unit is a little different from an off the shelf style campertrailer..

The company we went with was 'Allterrain' in Sydney, the quotes we got from several (a lot) of different companies came down to a tie between 'Allterrain' and 'Complete', so we concidered the extra travel time from Canberra to 'Complete' and ended up going with 'Allterrain'.... BIG mistake, should have spent a few extra hours in the car and would have been a lot more satisfide in the end product. Foud that 'Allterrain' didnt bother to listen to our requirements and when we insisted that they rectified them they got all @#$%%$#@ (while still smilling and sounding polite) . They may be good for the standard product but when you ask for somthing out of the ordinary they havent a clue but still nod and say "yes we can do that.." in total the finish we got on our unit was very second grade, to the point at the end of the season I'm intending to strip the trailer etc back and recote the thing after I grind all the welding spater off and patch some of the joins etc. I couldnt recomend them to any one in all ownesty. They were so proud of the finished product they sold us they wouldnt even put their own name labels on it to identify it to others... I will concede that their tent unit is one of the better ones, but is also one of the pricier ones to boot. Problem is the tent is only half the unit..

Any way ... enough rambling.... still tryin to get over the crap and just enjoy getting out using the beast.
Heading down to Potatoe point in the morning for a few days (till Sunday) so if any one wants to drop in for a cold one feel free, we have the white Patrol and LARGE green camper..
FollowupID: 404204

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 10:53

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 10:53
"Now my kids have up-an-offed "

Hi Willie,
Yep ours have also " up-an-offed " which is when we went for the traytop. Are you sure you still need a campertrailer??

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 150527

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 11:16

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 11:16
When my wife and I go camping and expect to stay in some spots for 3-4 days , then I like to take the camper . It has a great stove , two gas bottles , incredible storage ,it will take 120 litres of water in the jerry cans and it will carry my 3.7 m Dart on a swing away rack and a 15 hp Merc mounted on the front . If it rains , it does not matter .

On our last trip through the Pilbara and Rudall , we hardly opened it because it was too much trouble for a one or two night stop . We just slept in our swags next to it .

When we go into the desert where we cannot tow , we are both happy to swag it and cook over a fire . We are pretty versatile !

Thanks ,
FollowupID: 403996

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 11:11

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 11:11
Do you have to rule out trading this camper for one of the type you need ? It might make sense, seeing that this one could be sold as an original TS - your hybrid will of course never be the same again. BTW - we chose a Campomatic - compact, easy to deploy and pack up etc........so I can appreciate your reasoning - we saw the TS and had the view "that you really have to need all that space". The Kimberley Kamper may well be the most popular in the "compact, fast class". Quite a few used units popping up in traders etc.
AnswerID: 150528

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 11:25

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 11:25
Darian ,
In my humble opinion , no other CT comes up to the design and build quality of the Trak Shak , so I want to hold on to it and modify it . I am sure that will raise everybody's hackles , but that is just my personal feeling and others I am sure will think differently ( I do not want to get involved with that argument )
I would not choose a hard floor trailer, because they lack the storeage room that I require - even though I love the ease with which they go up and down .
Cheers
FollowupID: 403998

Follow Up By: Barnesy - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 12:36

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 12:36
Willie, looking around for a CT myself, the best basic fold out soft floor one that i have seen is made by a mob called sar major canvas goods. You may not have heard of them as they don't advertise much. They make them in Adelaide and the canvas is thick, heavy and the manufacturing is excellent. King bed, only a few pegs and 2 internal poles. Well worth a look if they have a distributor sydney.

Barnesy

And no i don't work for them
FollowupID: 404012

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 13:03

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 13:03
Barnesy,
I just checked out their website . Very impressive .
Thanks for this tip .
FollowupID: 404021

Follow Up By: Darian (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 15:32

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 15:32
No hackles raised here Willie - the subject just illustrates the hugely diverse range of camping formulas that people use. The hard floors certainly have reduced storage space - and what space I have is always chokka anyway (like a shed)..... but I still take stuff I don't need !
FollowupID: 404071

Follow Up By: Darian (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 15:35

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 15:35
Forgot to say.........We bought a Sar Major centre pole tent years back - will have it forever I think - so easy to use for quick stops - well made product - they know their game, and easy to deal with too.
FollowupID: 404072

Reply By: gramps - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 13:38

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 13:38
Bloody hell Willie. My eyes are definitely going south. When I first glanced at the topic heading I thought you were reporting some planned unpleasantness in Iraq :)))

On a unit like yours I'd definitely consult the original manufacturers first. They may just have something similar on the drawing board so to speak.
AnswerID: 150544

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 18:40

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 18:40
Brother ,
How the hell are you .
In Sydney we don't have to go to Iraq , for that sort of unpleasantness .You'll have to get the eye operation like Old Coot .
Willie .
FollowupID: 404107

Reply By: Gajm (VIC) - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 14:07

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 14:07
I think Trak Shak originaly did a smaller side opening camper as well, so it would be worth calling, but I think Peter has left and now Steve runs the place, Mark (production manager) is still there tho so he would probably be the best person to talk to.
AnswerID: 150553

Reply By: Gajm (VIC) - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 14:27

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 14:27
I just had another thought, why not ask TS about making you a half sized TS?

Still keep the rear pull out design but lose half the frame and half the width. you would need something connected to the side going over the empty bed so it doesn't fill with water when empty tho. With a bit of luck maybe they have a seconds quality tent that has a good half that could suit what you need.

Probably a pretty expensive option but it sounded good inside my head.
AnswerID: 150557

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 18:30

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 18:30
Gajm ,
I will definitely ring TS tomorrow and ask them if they have any ideas .I like your idea of using the original box and lid .
But if you pulled a tent out to the side of the bit you had opened , it would make the whole thing too wide for most camp sites . You could pull it off to the back - that would be OK . You would need to make a canvas cover for the half that you were not using ( when you had it open )
I wonder if they could design a tent that went out sideways over the two beds and maybe 8 feet further .
Let me think about this some more .
Thanks ,
Willie .
FollowupID: 404103

Reply By: Peter 2 - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 15:11

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 15:11
Willie
To throw another option on the table.
We are in the same position as yourselves, have a perfectly good Cub Supamatic that was great when all the kids were coming away but now seems like overkill for two.
We decided the set the truck up for two, removed the back seats, frig on one side, clothes bags etc on the other and bought a secondhand Shippshape (off Exploroz trader section of course). We've just completed our first longer trip with just the two of us and found that the ease of setting up etc was great, the innerspring mattress was superb and until we are too feeble to climb the ladder it will do us. The camper will still get used occasionally for fixed camps but don'r envisage taking it on too many outback trips.
Oh and the Cibies work well on the Humvee.
Peter
AnswerID: 150566

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 18:18

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 18:18
Peter ,
You could put a Shippshape plus a patio barbeque area on the top of that monster .
Was it you that bought my Cibies ?
I have agonised over the rooftop tents . I think they are a great idea BUT you have to pack them up everytime you want to use the car when you are staying somewhere for a few days , BUT 2 - I lose my roofrack space and BUT 3 - Climbing down the ladder half asleep at 4.00 am for a twinkle , could be a problem for me .
So I think I will stick to swags and CTs for the moment . Mind you , our swags are like tents - they are the Ultimate ones which have two mesh side and roof and a big flap to throw over if it rains or is too cold to look at the stars .
Cheers ,
Willie .
FollowupID: 404099

Follow Up By: Peter 2 - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 21:19

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 21:19
Funnily enough you've probably got more roof space than me, the Humvee is 500mm shorter than your 100 series and only 200 mm wider and weighs about the same. The Humvee is narrower than the outside of your mirrors by about 30mm.
It's just that it is lower and square with huge ground clearance which makes it look much bigger.
Yes it was me that bought the Cibies.
The shippshape actually works well for us and while there have been occasions when we have had a fixed camp it only takes 5 minutes to close it up and less to put back up. The other benefit is that we can move easily if the neighbours get noisy.
We've got swags too but the attraction of an innerspring mattress in the Shippshape beats the swag every time.
FollowupID: 404169

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 21:56

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 21:56
Peter ,
I am sorry I missed you that night . I was called up at the last minute as a reserve player in the tennis comp.
Willie .
FollowupID: 404184

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 18:47

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 18:47
Aren't they made in china crap now?
AnswerID: 150602

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 19:01

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 19:01
Brewman ,
I heard that they were making the tent part in China and the trailer at their factory in Adelaide . How true that is I do not know . In China , they could make the canvas part for a quarter of the cost of the Australian made ones . The quality would be good if they paid enough and had a guy checking the quality control at the factory .
Not everything made in China is crap Brewer - even there you get what you pay for .
Cheers .
FollowupID: 404112

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 18:55

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 18:55
Aren't camper trailers a fascinating topic . So many different ways of solving the same problem , with ideas and designs that suit some , but not others . So many trade offs like the need for space versus the need for ease of erection .

I often doodle away at home designing new ways of making one . I am sure that is why there are so many manufacturers - it is a real challenge to come up with the best design .

AnswerID: 150604

Sponsored Links