Motor & suspension rebuild.

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 18:38
ThreadID: 30066 Views:2032 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am in the process of getting quotes for replacing the suspension and rebuilding the motor on my 1989 62 series petrol landcruiser. Has anyone been through this and can recommend someone reputable in melb.
Thanks,
Ron.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 19:45

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 19:45
Suspension: Replacing with what for what???? Do you want heavy duty, lifted, extreme articulation, off the shelf solution, custom solution?????? More info other than "best" or similar comments needed....

Engine: Ditto. Performance, stock, full rebuild, top overhaul/short motor, etc...........
AnswerID: 150621

Follow Up By: Ron - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 20:09

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 20:09
I need suspension that will take a set of draws and a fridge including some light gear. I thought an off the shelf medium suspension with a 2" above standard lift would do. I'm sure I'll get recommendations as I get quotes. As for the engine a stock full rebuild. I'm not after anything extreme.
Thanks,
Ron.
FollowupID: 404138

Reply By: Exploder - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 21:29

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 21:29
Umm just me but I make a habit of not spending more on an Automobile than what it’s worth, unless of corse it’s a special project.

You could get a 300Hp crate engine for probably the same price it will cost you for a Compleat rebuild on the old one.

You should also look at what else you may have problems with latter I.E. driveline How many K’s has it done now I suspect if you are going for a Compleat engine rebuild it’s getting up there.

Just my Thought’s, maybe they are not wanted thou, so I will understand if I get a crabby reply.

AnswerID: 150660

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 23:59

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2006 at 23:59
Was thinking the same thing I have been there done that wasting money on vehicles. if it goes - sell it and put it towards something else I would see little value spending all that cash on a 6 grand vehicle
FollowupID: 404261

Reply By: banjodog - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 13:11

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 13:11
Exchange Repco long motor $2,745.00 plus fitting (depends on the hourly rate for the labour cost) and suspension not much change out of $2,000.00 I would think.

But as stated above - is the vehicle worth investing another $6,000.00 plus?

Things to consider in the engine rebuild that will add a further cost - condition of the radiator, hoses, belts, engine mounts, clutch, carburettor, engine pipe.

If you plan to keep it, it just may be worth it or it might be time to trade it in.

AnswerID: 150787

Reply By: fnqcairns - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 14:35

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 14:35
Hey Ron don't forget to listen to some of these guys here, you are better off buying/loaning enough cash to purchase a $50000 vehicle and stick another $6000 dollars of aftermarket equipment on so you will look good/superior at the stop lights.
With a bit of luck when you sell it in 5 years time it would have only depreciated by around $20 grand!- not to mention the interest repayments, he he - sheesh!

Or better still trade yours in on another exactly the same for and extra 4 grand change over, but not ready for a rebuild etc so that in another 1 year you may be up for an engine and new suspension anyway!

Better still buy a $200K 00-02 model 4x4 of your choice for 25-30 grand and look forward to the possibility of $6000 depreciation, an engine rebuild and a full suspension upgrade all in the next 4 years.

Mate, some people will just never get it! (I always say they need to read a book)

Anyway for what it is worth I say go for it, in dollar terms you cannot really go wrong (say no to marketing mentalities!!:-))even if you only keep it for 5 years after it is finished and remember you will probably own it which makes a change from the other 90% of the vehicles at the lights also.

cheers
AnswerID: 150814

Reply By: Sir Diamond - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 18:23

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 18:23
had a guy in at work earlier this week after a price on a reco engine.not 4x4 and we told him would be around $1500 to do his plus extras hoses water pump clutch ect if needed.
was a ford telstar in pretty good nick.
well he says the cars not worth it.
ok so now you have a car thats not worth anything.
you can go buy another car for $2500 thats a runner but no doubt that wont be much of a laster and your probly going to spent that much again in a year or so.
or you can spend a bit of money on this car that you own just replaced the tyres on new radiator rear brakes ect and have a good car once again.
booked in next week for rebuild.
so if your happy with your vehicle and thers no other major problems spend the money.
as for the engine you might not even need a change over find someone that dosnt want to just put a reco into in and get yours redone if its not totally buggered.
if yours is a 3f engine that i think they are i did one not so long ago ill look for the price for us to pull it out rebuild and refit as a rough idea if you like
cheers
AnswerID: 150857

Follow Up By: Ron - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 08:50

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 08:50
Exactly what I'm thinking. The idea of upgrading to a later model and going into thousnds in debt just because of a few thousand dollars and you have the same reliability as any more modern vehicle,doesn't make sense to me. Thanks to all for their input.
Thanks,
Ron.
FollowupID: 404563

Reply By: AndyR - Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 20:44

Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 20:44
Gidday Ron
Just wondered how you went for prices.
I am in the same boat with my fj62 but am doing the rebuild myself. Will put a kit thru the gbox and TranBox as well I think. hhhhmmmmmm and the clutch and diffs too. Suspension may need to be massaged but probably only bushes and shocks. Oh and some tyres too. I will do it myself which will save around 75-100 hours but will probably cost about $6-7k. Add that to the value of the car as is (about 6-7k I hope) at worst a 14k investment in a 4x4 that fits my family, and my camping gear, can sustain a car park trolley incident with little more that a shrug from me, will go bush and sometimes make new tracks, gets scratched, doesnt need polishing, washing or general tlc other than an odd filter and oil............... what I save in car payments I can spend on beer and family, (or family and beer) Yep......... keep it running for as long as you want to.
AnswerID: 154611

Reply By: Ron - Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 21:12

Sunday, Feb 12, 2006 at 21:12
Hi AndyR,
I'm not doing the motor just yet, as there are no signs of smoking or oil burning to date. Arb quoted me $5,000 for a brand new motor fitted. This price may be bettered when the time comes. For the moment I'm having them fit an ome dakar rally suspensin kit with a 2" above standard lift for $2,600. Also having rear lockers installed for around $1,700 fitted.
Thanks,
Ron.
AnswerID: 154616

Sponsored Links