Bradshaw art

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 19:29
ThreadID: 30104 Views:2105 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all .
Has anyone done a hike in to any of the Bradshaw art in the Kimberlys ? Would like to hear about it if they can help with info. We plan to do Gibb river road , mitchel falls & any thing else of interest in late June or early July . Thanks in anticipation .
Cheers Bungarra
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 20:29

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 20:29
Hike ? As in WALK ? Crikey Bungarra, you are an energetic soul. :)))))))))) Make sure you take lots of pix if possible. My leg condition makes walking difficult at times. And how's the 6924 going ?
AnswerID: 150874

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 21:40

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 21:40
Bungarra

There is quite a bit of art on the walk to Mitchell Falls. But you have to look for it.

We followed a very vague track to the falls in 1986 and it was a 6 hour return walk. These days the walking track is probably more defined with the number of visitors in the Kimberley.

As we had littlies in tow and had to wait for them, I darted off looking under overhangs and found some very good art but cannot tell you precisely where it is(it happened 20 years ago...lol)

There is also supposed to be fantastic art along the Drysdale River through the gorges between Drysdale River Station and the coast. Access is by helicopter or on foot.

I am not sure if Drysdale River NP is accessible these days as it has been reported to me that both of the old access tracks from either Theda Station or Carson River Station are closed off to the public.
AnswerID: 150892

Follow Up By: MichaelR - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 22:39

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 22:39
Theda station was prevously open to the public until sold in 2001. One of the reasons I believe it was purchased by the present owners was to protect the Bradshaw art on the property. You might try a personal approach to the owners.
There is some art on the walk to Mitchell falls at, I think Merton falls. It's a great trip so have a fabulous time.
A terrific side trip, if it is indeed still possible, is to travel the Tablelands track through Teronis Gorge. Great scenery and the best boab trees.
FollowupID: 404459

Reply By: Alex H - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 12:30

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 12:30
On you rway into Mitchell Falls, immediately after crossing the King Edward River, take the track to the left off the main road to the falls. Its not signposted, but htere is a lot of art in there - not all Bradshaws, a lot to do with echidna dreaming as well. As has been said, on the walk to the Mitchell falls there is a lot of Bradshaw art on various rock faces between the falls.
I have a lot of photos if anyones interested. alex@smartalex.net.au
Cheers,
Alex
AnswerID: 151063

Follow Up By: darcla - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 18:27

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 18:27
Hi all.
Thanks for info & yes Alex would be interested in some photos & any other info you may have of the area as I am a very serious photographer. Because the Bradshaw art is so different I wish to see it for myself.
Cheers Bungarra
FollowupID: 404708

Reply By: lindsay - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 18:05

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 18:05
After you cross the King Edward river there is a camping ground on the right hand side ,actually 2 there is one with a toilet . Go past it about 2 to 3 hundred metres and there was a track to the right. When i was there in 2001 someone had placed a log over the track to prevent people driving in. Go down the track to a rocky area walk around and you will see bradshaws. the east side of a rocky area if you look hard in one of the horizontal ledges in the rocks you will find 3 skeletal remains. The bradshaws are better there than at the other spot,but they are all different. The camp ground there is the best in the Kimberly.
AnswerID: 151121

Reply By: Anne from Drysdale River Station - Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 12:09

Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 12:09
Hi Bungarra,
Everyone has given you pretty good advice so far.
Drysdale River NP. Yes there is art there, Yes it's a hike with pack not a walk. Yes you can go in via Carson River Station unless they have changed things since last season which I doubt. You need the normal 2 permits same as to go to Kalumburu. A free one in advance and a pay for one when you get there. You have to go to Kalumburu and pay the second one before you go in, think it was $30 or $35 per vehicle last year.
Forget making aproaches to anyone re entry via Theda, it is not open to tourism full stop.
Yes there is good art at the Mitchell Falls if you look. The track is now well marked and it takes about 1.5 hours if you just keep moving ( add more for photo stops ect) to do the 3 km one way walk.
As soon as you cross the KE River the main track does a sharp right hand turn at that point there is a smaller track off to the left. You can no longer drive right to the rocks, leave vehicl and walk , very short walk. Good variaty if you walk round and look properley, not much in the way of Bradshaws at this one. There is now some protective boardwalk in place at this one.
Back on the plateau track, then follows river for abt 2 km and then two side tracks turn off to the right to the camping areas. Main track then does a sharp left turn away from the river, abt 3 km further and you go round a very defined S bend in the track, a few hundred meters after that you can't miss seeing several well used side tracks on your right. CALM has closed off all bar one as it was becoming a mess with people making new tracks in. Short distance off the main track and the rocks stop you. Walk and look, lots to see including one really nice panel of Bradshaws plus others scattered about. Be sure to walk back over some grass to the second group of rocks not just the one you pull up at. It's not far and very easy to walk around.
Hope this answers your questions, cheers, Anne
AnswerID: 151435

Follow Up By: darcla - Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 20:11

Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 20:11
Hi Anne.
Will Email you direct when I get a little more time thank you for your info .
Cheers Bungarra
FollowupID: 405474

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 22:55

Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 22:55
Great info Anne. Hope to see you and some of the art in August this year.
Norm C
FollowupID: 405545

Reply By: Member - Collyn R (WA) - Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 18:23

Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 18:23
May need to distinguish between Bradshaws and Wanjinas.

If interested in the latter - most of which only accessible by boat - see

wandjinadonny.com

If interested via boat get back to me (he's a friend) or contact Donny directly. He takes a few people out by sea (needs about 7 days).
Collyn Rivers
AnswerID: 151867

Follow Up By: darcla - Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 20:21

Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 20:21
Hi Collyn.
Yes I am am very interested , it is a long trip from Geraldton & we want to make the most of it while we are there . Local knowledge is the best as a rule & we just love our big country & want to see more of it while we still can, before some of the irresponsible people that we seem have to put up with these days destroy it completely. Thanks for your info looking forward to further contact .
Cheers Bungarra
FollowupID: 405484

Reply By: Anne from Drysdale River Station - Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 23:46

Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 23:46
There are Wandjina's at the KE crossing sites and the Mitchell Falls area, as well as several other styles of Rock Art. Also at some of the other Gorges along the roads. Depends how in depth you wish to get if this is sufficent or not.
cheers, Anne
AnswerID: 151986

Sponsored Links