jvc video camera

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 21:40
ThreadID: 30110 Views:2879 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,this is my last resort before giving JVC more money than they deserve....2.5 yrs ago we bought a JVC digital video camera and now the lens cap sensor has broken and now it only records sound because it thinks the lens cap is still on.....has anyone had this prblem before or you know what to do??? JVC want $100 just for looking at it....no guys in town can fix it...sorry there is one but i couldnt understand a word he was saying,no offence, but if i cant understand one word that he is saying then sorry..no business!
Ive missed out on filming my 2nd daughters first christmas and first camping trip etc and dont want to miss any more.....
Laura B

FEEL BETTER INSIDE WHEN IM OUTSIDE
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RustyHelen - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 22:30

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 22:30
Hi
Nothing to do with JVC. Our Sony gave it up half way between Birdsville and Boulia, only about 10 days into a 7 week trip. Got to Darwin, rang Sony "send it to nearest Sony shop in ALICE SPRINGS" !!!!! (just been almost passed there) After much to do we found a similar shop in Darwin, 2 gents who both were definately not of local origin, passed over the camera and $65 to look at it, which came off the repairs, they fixed it in 3 days (with genuine parts which Sony told me could only come from them???) got it back, lasted 5 minutes, took it back they fixed it again, (think the 6 year old granddaughter might have had something to do with this failure!!!)no further charge.
Moral of story??
I was very happy to trust it to them to get the job done rather than give it to Sony who "might be able to get it back to Darwin in 4 weeks but couldn't promise anything"
Rusty
AnswerID: 150917

Reply By: atoyot - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 22:31

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2006 at 22:31
They're practically all throwaway items now. We've a 5YO JVC, and sometimes it starts in error mode (missed plenty of good shots with that), sometimes the zoom doesn't work, and sometimes the autofocus goes crazy. Still, I can't complain specially after it got a drenching at the blowholes at Thunder Bay, WA. Sorry I haven't got any advice other than what price for recording the memories? We were told that same about getting ours services, including that the average repair costs about $500.

When you look at how much these things have dropped in price over the years, you'll probably find that a new one is a lot less than what you first paid. If you got another JVC (I don't believe that they are any better/worse than other brands), the battery/ies you already have may fit, so there might be some economies there. Check that out when/if you end up shopping.

Andrew
AnswerID: 150918

Reply By: Wok - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 08:21

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 08:21
This is a known problem with cameras using a cut-down SONY chipset.SONY lost the courtcase[US I think] and is repairing all failures of this nature @ their $.
Mate just had his JVC done for free.
Apparently SONY the chipset was a dud but still onsold it to OEM manufacturers.You may have to talk with JVC headoffice to check if your camera uses this chipset.
AnswerID: 151004

Reply By: arthurking83 - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 14:20

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 14:20
Curious!!

What model JVC?

I got mine 3 years ago(GR-DV500), on the recommendation from a magazine.

It's been fantastic (quality, etc....)

But.... now I'm too scared to put the lens cap back on!! :)
AnswerID: 151089

Follow Up By: Member - laura B (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 14:30

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 14:30
Ours is a model number - GR-D50AA.........im so tempted to put it on ebay,flogg it off and get another one!!Laura
FollowupID: 404658

Follow Up By: Wok - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 19:49

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 19:49
model repaired under warranty is GRD-50A
FollowupID: 404726

Follow Up By: Member - uncle - Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 04:03

Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 04:03
Hi Laura,we flogged ours on Ebay,stuffed up after 3 months,a friend had the same camera and same probs,our next camera will be Panasonic or canon.Never had a worry with these in the past,cheers Laurie.
FollowupID: 405177

Reply By: Dave198 - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 16:38

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 16:38
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=11&page=3&sort=lastpost&order=&pp=25&daysprune=-1
Laura, try this site. I have got some satisfaction from following some advice found on this forum for my JVC over the years.
Hope this helps.
Dave
AnswerID: 151103

Reply By: GraemeD - Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 19:50

Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 19:50
I had a JVC camera until recently. It died with some error message coming up on the screen. After doing a bit of searching around I discovered it was a known issue caused by bad build quality or some such. Have a google on "JVC video camera class action" for more info. In the end I gave up and bought a Panasonic which seems to have been good so far (touch wood).

Cheers,

Graeme
AnswerID: 151345

Reply By: Chris N - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 14:13

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 14:13
Laura,

I have the same camera which I purchased in October 2003. Im having the same problem. It only started about a month ago on and off and now I cant record a thing. Ive just had another child so she is missing out. Let me know how you go with yours.

Chris
AnswerID: 153128

Reply By: Chris N - Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 19:38

Tuesday, Feb 07, 2006 at 19:38
Laura,

Thought I would let you know that JVC are fixing my camera free of charge. I have done a fair bit of digging around about this problem. JVC America have accepted liability that the CCD is faulty and will fix all cameras with the problem. I emailed JVC on Sunday and they replied today saying they will fix it, even thought it is out of warranty. Email JVC from their website and tell them the CCD has failed. I cant complain about the service at all.

Hope this helps
Chris
AnswerID: 153689

Sponsored Links