nissan 3.0ltd failures

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 09:53
ThreadID: 30127 Views:2263 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
in my opion there are few contributing factors in the problems associated with this motor.
1: turbos blowing,maybe the high sulphur content in the fuel causes the oil to thicken and restricts flow.
2: holes in pistons,navara v patrol,navara does'nt have variable van turbo or intercooler.so the parol would run higher EGT"S,in my opinion THIS is the cause of piston failure,maf sensor also plays a big part.
high egt's would only occur when the engine is at high revs and load but this is the problem,it has a cumlative effect gradually burning away at the piston until BANG.
high boost pressure is also in the equation.
what i have done to monitor the high egts' and boost is to fit gauges
if the egt gauge is fitted after the turbo ADD 200c to the reading,i fitted mine before the turbo in the exhaust manifold i think the cost of removing the manifold and new gasket's is worth it.
please dont miss understand me i'm not saying that the navara is exempt from these prblems.
once again my opinion's only.
cheers toohey
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - David 0- Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 10:21

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 10:21
Toohey

Did you weld the fitting in yoursef? If not what'd it cost to have someone do it?
I have a MIG welder but I am not the best welder in the world. :-)

Plan to fit EGT and boost gauges and oil temp gauge in a pod on the A pillar.

Dave O
AnswerID: 151030

Follow Up By: Member - toohey - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 11:09

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 11:09
dave the bloke that fitted drilled and tapped manfold.
cheers toohey
FollowupID: 404592

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 11:12

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 11:12
OK so it is drilled and tapped
FollowupID: 404593

Follow Up By: Member - toohey - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 12:19

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 12:19
g'day dave
the egt gauge is a thermoguard its digital so gives very ouick response on temp. read out.
the boost gauge is an autometer it's reasonably small so it does'nt take away vission when fitted to the right pillar.
my egt has not gone above 690c,this was towing caravan,if i pushed it harder in a perticular gear it definatly would.
cheers toohey
FollowupID: 404614

Reply By: Member - Geoff M (Newcastle) - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 13:48

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 13:48
Hello Men,
I've been following your discussions on 3 litre Nissans with interest. What I'm seeing is three things on the incidents, leading me to a question.
1. Definately happened, reported by owner or repairer to this or other forum.
2. Debateable, friend of a friends, friend read it in People magazine!!
3. Never reported to any forum.

On to my question, I've got a mate who's an NRMA Roadside Assist mechanic. Has anyone actually asked one of the front line assist people from the relevant state motoring organisation on their experience/exposure to this aledged problem?
To me that would really shed some light on the frequency and patterns if they truly exist at all.

I know I haven't, it only dawned on me driving around this morning!!

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 151081

Follow Up By: Member - toohey - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 13:55

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 13:55
g'day geoff
good point,i'll give it a go
cheer stoohey.
FollowupID: 404646

Follow Up By: Pattio - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 17:47

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 17:47
Hi Geoff M,
I have a mate who is an NRMA patrolman in Newcastle. Mentioned my concerns to him a few months ago about my 01 3lt Patrol. He had not heard of or had seen any of the engine problems we are discussing. Said he would know where to start looking if he came across a Patrol with those symptons in the future. Regards Chris
FollowupID: 404701

Reply By: Member - Glenn D (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 20:47

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 20:47
Hows it going Toohey ,

Couple of questions ,

Do you think the Patrol intercooler would lower EGT because of lowering inlet temps to the engine or do you think it would raise the EGT due to the inlet air being denser ?

What is the effect of the variable turbo? , I have no idea .

Is the compression ratio of the 2 engines the same, did some resarch before buying a Dtronic and was surprised to see a difference in claimed power output between the 2 , wouldnt have thought the bleep e intercooler on the Patrol would have made much difference , only in the perfect Nissan enviroment..

Exaust gas loses heat ( energy ) as it does work to spin the turbo .

Finally whats your favourite flavour , New , Old , or some of the more modern blends ?

Glenn.
AnswerID: 151160

Follow Up By: Member - toohey - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 21:20

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 21:20
g'day glen.
1:raise.
2:over boost.
3:dunno
4:dead right,fit the probe before the turbo
5:all the above,plus some.
double cheers toohey.
FollowupID: 404753