NO BUSES FOR CFA VOLUNTEERS

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 19:23
ThreadID: 30146 Views:2500 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
goodday all
any volunteers on standby for the fires about
my sister rang my other sister today to say she wasnt coming down to aussie day lunch as she was on standby at local CFA near ballarat and they have been told that because of govt cutbacks there are no buses available to take the VOLUNTEERS to there staging points to fight the fires they have to provide there own transport.
so much for mirra bracks welcoming interstate fire fighters(we do appreaciate there help)but he just has to get his picture in the news again

can anybody confirm this bit of bad news
steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 20:40

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 20:40
Gaday Steve......Can't confirm your rumour but can say that local CFA firefighters in our area returning from the Highlands fire by bus were dropped off in town & rural members had to find their own way home as someone in HQ forgot where they had come from. It would be a logistical nightmare coordinating the huge fire fighting effort & probably shouldn't be too critical as many organizers would be vollunteers themselves.
Cheers Craig.........
AnswerID: 151158

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 20:50

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 20:50
Hey Steve.

Sounds like manure to me.. But nothing suprises me anymore.
It would mroe than likely be a shortage of buses not that they werent payin for em

Just gettin the thunder and crap here now :(
AnswerID: 151164

Reply By: Member - Royce- Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 21:46

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 21:46
A few spits of rain in mid Gippsland so far... 9.45pm. Still hot an sultry and not enough to keep any dust or flames down.
AnswerID: 151189

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 21:47

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 21:47
lots of rain here!
FollowupID: 404763

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 22:28

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 22:28
Very impressive. Doesn't show us on the map. Tried to chase up the source and was informed that access was 'forbidden'!
FollowupID: 404769

Follow Up By: sav - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 23:07

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 23:07
Melb BOM Radar Link
FollowupID: 404785

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 23:12

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 23:12
The 256 km link is much better to see where it isn't falling though......
FollowupID: 404787

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 23:33

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 23:33
Sorry Royce

http://www.bom.gov.au/

you replaced them 33's yet?!
FollowupID: 404801

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 23:18

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 23:18
The CFA blokes from here - Shep/Tat who were at Yea had their wallets, phones & stuff cleaned out of their motel room where they were being put up by some scumbag.

That's gratitude for you.

Society is going to the dogs....

Dave
AnswerID: 151210

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 23:28

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 23:28
GOING to the dogs?? GOING?

Sleeping firefighters robbed

Police are appalled that five volunteer firefighters were robbed yesterday morning while they slept at a motel in Traralgon.

The firefighters had been battling fierce blazes in Gippsland since Sunday and were recuperating at Murphy's Motor Inn, on the Princes Highway, when their rooms were raided about 8.20am yesterday.

Senior Constable Bromley Llewellyn, of Traralgon police, told theage.com.au he suspected the men were targeted because they were firefighters.

"You would think with all the CFA vehicles parked up at the motel they've probably thought `Well, here's a great opportunity to try and nab something'."

The thief, or thieves, stole wallets from each of the firefighters, as well as mobile phones and some clothing.

Motel manager David Craddock said the firefighters' rooms were not locked.

"That doesn't make it right — there's a lot of lowlifes around the country that prey on people like this," he said.

"The firefighters were obviously thought of as a soft target because they're tired and have a lot of gear lying around.''

Mr Craddock said the firefighters were very upset by the robbery.

"They weren't happy, and I wouldn't have been either. They'd been working flat-out all day, and then in the morning they find out their wallets are gone.''

A CFA spokeswoman said the firefighters had returned to fight the fires today.

Senior Constable Bromley said his office had been inundated with calls after a local radio announcer urged listeners to help the firefighters.

"I've been told that the phone's been ringing off the wall at my office with people wanting to donate phones," he said.

"The response has been great, in terms of the community being appalled by this and willing to do what they can to try and make things right."

Premier Steve Bracks said he was appalled to hear of the theft.

"It's just appalling behaviour,'' he told reporters today.

"Police are investigating thoroughly and the full force of the law will be brought to bear if those people are apprehended.''

Senior Constable Bromley urged anyone with information to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
FollowupID: 404797

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 23:34

Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 23:34
Interesting. I thought one of my wifes friends whose husband was there said it was Yea (think WIN News did too for that matter) but the local rag said Traralgon. You'd want to think it hasn't happened twice...

Dave

LOW BLOW
Robbed: CFA volunteers

The News thinks CFA volunteers make an incredible sacrifice to help communities when they are in need, often leaving their families to fight fires. Text your messages of support for the region's firefighters to 042 SMS NEWS.

By Kristin Favaloro
January 26 2006
Shepparton News

Goulburn Valley volunteer firefighters risking their lives battling blazes in the Gippsland region have been dealt a low blow, with thieves stealing their belongings while they lay exhausted in bed.

The sickening act occurred early Tuesday morning when the four firefighters were sleeping at a Traralgon motel.

They had spent more than 12 hours fighting a fire that had destroyed more than 13 600 ha in Moondarra State Park.

Tallygaroopna volunteer John Rhodes said the firefighters were recovering from a long day when the thieves struck.

"Some members were asleep, I was out of the room, and some were in the shower," Mr Rhodes said.

"We were extremely tired and extremely dirty and we needed a shower to relax. That was the last thing that we needed."

The stolen mobiles phones and wallets lay next to the volunteers' Country Fire Authority clothing when they disappeared.

Mooroopna volunteer Adam Glasson said this would have given thieves a clear indication of who was in the rooms.

"My bag with my CFA gear was right beside my stuff and it would have been the same in the other rooms," Mr Glasson said.

The volunteers were part of a strike team which also included VicRoads and Department of Sustainability and Environment employees.

Mr Glasson said one of the most distressing things about the theft was that his wife, who was concerned for his welfare, could not phone him.

While the incident distressed the firefighters, they agreed the incident would not stop them from volunteering for the CFA.

"It won't stop me, I've been in the fire brigade for 27 years," Mr Rhodes said.

"It's the dream of every guy to drive a big red fire truck."

While Mr Glasson has only volunteered with the authority for the past six months, he too has no qualms about continuing.

"It's just to be part of the community, to help out," he said.

"That (being in Traralgon) was good . . . you'd see the signs on roundabouts, kids were coming out and clapping."

Telstra has offered to replace the firefighters' mobile phones and VicRoads will issue new driver's licences without charge.

None of the stolen items have yet been recovered.
FollowupID: 404802

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 01:21

Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 01:21
problem is most of the country buses are licensed and regoed as SO - small operator, only for school runs etc. not covered for charter or emergency work, so they cant do the jobs or their insurance is void - THANKS BRACKSIE, youve done it to the country again !!

Future father in law is caught in this exact situation, he has done a few jobs for the cfa recently but has put his own ass on the line to do it.

Fat cats at their finest :-)
AnswerID: 151222

Reply By: 120scruiser - Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 16:15

Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 16:15
My brigade in Sydney has been on standby since last saturday to go to South Australia but on Wednesday night they flew a stack from our area to Melbourne and then transported up to Halls Gap. Not sure how they got from the air port as they aren't back yet. Won't be until Monday night now so can let you know when they get back.
AnswerID: 151306

Sponsored Links