Bifacial (double sided) Solar Panels

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 26, 2006 at 20:35
ThreadID: 30150 Views:6748 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Bifacial Solar Panels or as some have called them, Double sided solar panels

Who's using one (or two)

what’s the opinion of users of the Bifacial panels?

Yes, I’ve read all the archived posts, and believe it’s time to get some realistic answers, as the advertising blurb is fairly contradictory to the posts I've read here, so far :)
I've contacted three firms selling Solar panels and have only recieved one reply, so they must be out of stock?
Which is a common thing at the moment, and it will only be harder to buy solar panels, as I understand BP Solar will move to Germany, due to the very high interest in Solar power over there.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: scottp - Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 17:58

Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 17:58
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~grungle229/Patrol/index2.html

I think grungle is a member fo EO.

Don't have any solar panels myself but thought his site was rather informative with regard to the solar setup.

Hope this helps.

scott
AnswerID: 151320

Reply By: Morgan VIC - Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 12:37

Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 12:37
I did my homework mighty carefully prior to buying solar panels. The best I could get about their claims from sources that the claims they make are fraudulent. Besides the claims they make if you look at the panels to compared to others the quality of manufacture is not good and neither is the warranty. I bought Suntech solar panels after seeing some BP panels are made by Suntech for BP. Was delighted with the service and extensive knowledge received from the solar panel supplier. I did not realise how great solar power is. Truly like black magic the quiet solar electricity generation.
AnswerID: 151440

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 13:23

Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 13:23
Morgan,

Do tell, how do you know 'some' BP panels are made by Suntech for BP ?
FollowupID: 405089

Follow Up By: Morgan VIC - Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 20:06

Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 20:06
I was shown the different brands of panels they had in stock and the BP panel was made in China and identical frame and panel to the Suntech and only a different junction box. The barcode and all other identifying marks were identical to Suntech. The guy said you can pay for an 80w $800 for the BP made in the Suntech factory or $595 for the Suntech. Was a simple descision. Looking at the quality of the construction and finish of the panels there is no apparant difference between all different brands of glass panels. In the tests conducted by the US gov Suntech come up in position 3 with all the biggie brands close together Could not find any bad reports on any glass panels sold in Aus
He also has a pile of those large 64 black panels on display that have failed
FollowupID: 405136

Follow Up By: The Tinker - Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 19:59

Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 19:59
the 1st 80 w panel bought was a BP made in China
the 2nd 85w panel bought was a Suntech made in China
only difference between the panels is the junction box
the aluminium frame screws the way the panel is assembled is identical
would say the BP panel is made by Suntech
as a matter of interest proportionately taking into account the 5 w extra of the Suntech the panels have identical output
the Suntech outputs 5.03 amps and the BP outputs 4.67 amps
in the present 45 C heat wave the panels are losing under 5%
FollowupID: 405244

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 16:20

Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 16:20
As I’ve posted elsewhere, BP Solar have been contracting out the manufacturing of various solar panels to other solar panel manufacturers, however they have to be made to the original BP technical specifications, ie same power rating.

BP have for some time empowered Steca to make some of their solar regulators in the BP colours & logo, it’s nothing new in the solar and also many other manufacturing industries to out-souse manufacturing of products.

Tinker,
according to the BP Solar website your quoted BP 80wt panel output of 4.67 amps is incorrect, as they claim to put out only 4.55 amps, the Sharp 80wt puts out 4.67 amps?

I can’t find where the Suntech website lists an 85wt solar panel?
http://www.suntechaustralia.com.au/catalog_page.php

The Suntech 80wt listed is only rated @ 4.65 amps, (not 5.03 amps) which is basically the same as the similar sized Sharp and the BP panels.

Morgan,
Did he explain to you why he had "a pile of those large 64 black panels ON DISPLAY that have failed"
If he had originally sold them, and they were returned under warranty because they had 'failed', he would sent them back to the supplier for credit - or do you think there may be some other reason he wants to keep them, even if, as he told you, they have 'failed' ??
Seems like a waste of retail floor space, having faulty products there on ‘display’.

Information available from the suppliers confirms the Bifacial panel is not really suitable to the roof mounted situation I will use, so have considered a 110wt GE panel @ 6.6 amp with low light and very good heat resistant capabilities, which make it suitable for use in the far north, which are not available in the Suntech panel, the Suntech is a lot cheaper, but panel performance must be obtainable before price is considered!!
FollowupID: 405411

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 13:11

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 13:11
Morgan, you have posted, "In the tests conducted by the US Gov Suntech come up in position 3, with all the biggie brands close together Could not find any bad reports on any glass panels sold in Aus"

Morgan, what were the actual tests done by the US Government ??

Did you see the relevant test information on the Net
or
was it a 'salesman' who told you about it?

As posted you 'could not find any bad reports on any glass panels sold in Aus' do I understand you actually read the test report on the Net..

Would it be unreasonable of me to ask you for the web address, so I can see who was number 1 and 2 :-)

Why would I settle for 3rd best, when you can actually have the best available ... according to this US Government test!!

FollowupID: 406227

Sponsored Links