Modified winch bar

Submitted: Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 21:42
ThreadID: 30176 Views:1570 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am thinking of buying a second-hand winch bar for my GQ Patrol. The bar has been modified to fit a 2 inch body lift. Mine hasn't been lifted and I don't plan to. My questions are:

What would the owner have modified?

Could this have any affect on the bar regarding fitting it, looks, strength or performance in any way?

If I so decide would it be possible to modify it back to original state?

Anyone's advice appreciated.

Barnesy

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Emo - Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 22:45

Friday, Jan 27, 2006 at 22:45
I would imagine that all the fitting points would have been extended by 2 inches so the bullbar all lines up. You would have to be handy with either a grinder or oxy and a welder to get it back to standard. Depending on how good of a welder you are it may or may not affect overall strength. You would want to be getting it pretty cheap.
AnswerID: 151373

Reply By: smegzy - Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 02:55

Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 02:55
G'day Barnesy,

Emo is right it wont fit without being modified back to it original configuration. I would be checking how it’s been modified first up to see if its fixable. It may have just had the main attaching points re-drilled, or they may have been cut and re-welded which might cause some problems.

If its been butchered to make it fit the 2 inch lift then it may require major work to get it back to original strength.

In the long run it might be easier to get one unmodified, they come up regularly on EBay.
AnswerID: 151390

Reply By: cokeaddict - Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 08:56

Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 08:56
Hey Barnsey,
In the firdinkum department mate, i wouldnt bother at all. Especially if your gonna use a winch. every man and his dog thinks they know how to weld, but if it wasnt done right, it would have lost its strength, and you dont want to be out there bogged on a hill to have to find out weather it has or hasnt. Just not worth it IMO.

Ange.
AnswerID: 151403

Follow Up By: Barnesy - Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 12:43

Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 12:43
Cheers all of you blokes for answering. Seems like i will have to look at another bar.
Barnesy
FollowupID: 405081

Sponsored Links