replacing power radio aerial - help!

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 10:55
ThreadID: 30185 Views:2096 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Like everyone who has been into 4wd for a while, I have managed to snap off the power aerial on my GU....

Anyone who has replaced one can give me some advice?

I am assuming I can undo the little chrome ring then put a new post in rather than take the whole unit out/

Also then would have to take off those black plastic guard things under the flares...anyone found a self tapper that will fit those holes...the bloody clips simply break...pretty much anywhere you remove them on the car!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jack - Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 11:12

Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 11:12
Hi

I recently had the same problem on my 80 series after attacking a low roofline on a Westfield shopping centre.

Bought a new aerial from Mr Toyota, undid the bolt and removee the entire aerial, fed the nylon (???) sprocket thing in and got it to take up (turning the radio on and off to activate the motor in the aerial) and when it had taken up, just tightened the whole thing up.

Took me about 3 minutes plus some ignition key tuirning courtesy of my son.

I don't think the technology in aerials varies much from vehicle to vehicle, so you will probably find that this will be the saem (or very similar) process on yours.

Hardest part is the money you have to part with for the replacement. $90 in my case.

Hope this helps.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 151428

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 11:43

Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 11:43
Pretty much as described by Jack. The kit costs about $70 I think with the new telescoping piece and the cogged nylon. You shouldn't have to undo the wheel arch plastic if all goes well.
AnswerID: 151430

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 13:46

Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 13:46
Yep - Holden call it a "mast and rope" - may cost around the $70 which is disgusting of course - I took the whole thing out to do my first one - here I am in need of another one now - I reckon Jack is correct - the "feed it back in" idea should be a winner.... has beeen quoted here recently by another forumite.
AnswerID: 151458

Reply By: GUIII Ringwood - Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 16:55

Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 16:55
Thanks Jack, yep came out easy....will try repco for replacement to offset the cost....if I break another one then the whole thing comes out and a rubber one goes in!
AnswerID: 151485

Sponsored Links