Replacement GU111 side steps/rails

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 17:06
ThreadID: 30195 Views:1929 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
After a trip to Landcrusier Park last weekend my side original aluminium steps are not looking to flash. A couple of the mates mentioned that there are a few after market steel replacement setups that I should look into. The one mentioned was the ARB but I am aware of other companies such as opposite lock who also have their own.

My question is has anyone changed theirs over and which one did they buy and for what reasons? I would like to keep the Patrol looking pretty good so am not really interested in sticking slabs of steel on the side that don't look good. It's the resale I am looking at as I would think trading in my patrol, when ready, will not be that easy if the dealer thinks that the car has had a hard life off-road.

Input anyone?

Cheers, Patrick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - David 0- Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 22:53

Saturday, Jan 28, 2006 at 22:53
It is pretty hard to hide "a hard life off-road" there are way too many tell-tale signs for the astute buyer.

Re side steps- a mate made up a set from rectangular RHS. The RHS ran along under the sill, and heavier exhaust tubing angled slightly upwards and outwards in a broad U shape provides the "step-up." Looks very professional and protects very well.

I don't have any knowledge of the ARB steel version.
AnswerID: 151550

Reply By: Patrick - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 16:32

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 16:32
Here’s and update to my earlier question regarding side steps.

I contact ARB who wanted $900 for a pair of their 50mm chrome steel tube steps, then went to TJM who quoted me $567 for the same thing as ARB…what a difference. And just to be fair I even looked at replacing just one side with the original Nissan aluminum steps. This is when my jaw dropped….

R/H Side Step - $475.01
R/H Side Step End Cap - $26.33
R/H Side Step Brkt/Frt - $91.77
R/H Side Step Brkt/Centre - $91.77
R/H Side Step Brkt/Rear - $91.77
R/H Side Step Flair seal - $43.68
R/H Side Step Flair Clip 1 - $6.58
R/H Side Step Flair Clip 2 - $11.22
R/H Side Step Flair Clip 3 - $12.64
R/H Side Step Flair Clip 4 - $6.77
R/H Side Step Flair Seal - $61.78

A whooping total of $919.32