Which Oil - Patrol R28TD

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 17:01
ThreadID: 3020 Views:2378 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Okay, here's another "Newbie" question. I have reading up on oil types and synthetic as opposed to mineral oils. But, I'm now really confused. The Nissan manual refers to an oil type "CCMC PD1". Okay, maybe I'm dumb but what does this equate to in the shops? I haven't seen anything remotely looking like that code. Also can I get an idea of what people are using in their R28TD vehicles?
Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Angryant - Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 19:20

Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 19:20
Grrr, I meant RD28T NOT R28TD
AnswerID: 11530

Follow Up By: Peter - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 07:17

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 07:17
get on to valvoline at their web site - they have a warranty - more than others give and the prices are much the same. regards peter
FollowupID: 6474

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 08:39

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 08:39
Peter what do Valvoline have a warranty for? They have to try to offer somethng to try and get some market share.

Wow!
Quote:
With the Valvoline limited lubrication warranty, Valvoline warrants that its motor oils will provide lubrication to protect against specified oil related engine failures for 200,000 kilometres or 5 years (whichever comes first) when oil and filter changes are professionally installed and maintained exclusively with Valvoline Motor Oils. Valvoline recommends changing your oil and filter every 3 months or 5,000 kilometres.
END

Now to change your engine oil every 5,000k's besides being rank stupidity and a total waste of money, is also environmental vandalism at its worst. What is more, it says "when oil and filter changes are professionally installed" so that immediatly stops the person who does it at home. I think this so called warranty is worthless, stupid and a rip-off as the chances of getting an engine failure that is oil related is close to nil. However, obviously if you use Valvoline they are saying you do have a better than average chance of oil failure and consequently engine failure. Some of the current model vehicles have service intervals up to 35,000km and Valvoline want you to do it every 5,000k's. Some of our vehicles have 12,000km service intervals suggested by the manufacturer. Looks like Valvoline do not recomend you use their oil past 5,000k's as it must break dwon, and Valvoline are obviously environmental vandals of the worst type. I have bought Valvoline at times, but never will again with their policies.
FollowupID: 6478

Follow Up By: Ptcrowe - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 12:19

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 12:19
What policies are these that you refer to Ozi.?
What if any differences are there between Valvoline and your beloved mobil synthetic oils.?
FollowupID: 6494

Follow Up By: Ptcrowe - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 12:29

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 12:29
"the chances of getting an engine failure that is oilrelated is close to nil."

So why have you made it your mission to have a go at any one who suggests using any lubrication set up other than the one you yourself use . From what you are saying you should be able to whack a couple of litres of black and gold brand oil in your car and let her go for a 10 or 20 thousand k's and all will be sweet. So what is it you are trying to say

Oil related engine failures are very rare .
or
Oil related engine failures are very rare when you use mobil?
FollowupID: 6495

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 12:41

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 12:41
PTC what I am having a go at Valvoline for is their irresponsible statement and terrible/disgusting environmental practice from the information posted on the Valvoline website.
QUOTE:
Valvoline recommends changing your oil and filter every 3 months or 5,000 kilometres.
END:

Most of the modern vehicles have 8,000 interval oil changes and some up to 35,000 using the recomended mineral oil - whatever brand of the specification recomended by the manufacturer. Maybe Valvoline oils cannot stand the heat from the information they recommend.

I don't only use Mobil synthetic, it is they just have the range and information on their website and toll free phone numbers. Perhaps you can tell me which other oil company has such an extensive range an information as Mobil. If there is one I am more than happy to post that info as well.

Valvoline don't have any full synthetics to my knowledge, or any information that I could find on their website.
FollowupID: 6497

Follow Up By: Ptcrowe - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 13:25

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 13:25
Valvoline does have a fully synthetic oil called Synpower for petrol motors only. which is not much use for angryant
FollowupID: 6502

Reply By: OziExplorer - Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 19:27

Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 19:27
That is a European rating which is irrelevent to Australia.
There should be a US and Australian rating in the manual as well.
Should something like SAE CF, CG etc.

You can also go to the Mobil website
http://www.mobil.com.au/mobil/fr_mobil_products.html
and have a look. You can also call the Mobil toll free 1800 033 863 for the best technical advice on which lube to use.

If you are going to use a synthetic oil and intend to keep the vehicle for a few years, a bypass oil filter is a cheap investment.
AnswerID: 11531

Reply By: ptcrowe - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 12:34

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 12:34
Sorry Angry ant didn't really address your question in previous follow ups.
But as per usual once ozi stops ranting his advice is usualy preety good. Talk to mobil or valvoline or any other oil company that has a service hot line they should be able to put you straight. If not get on the dog and bone to Nissan.
AnswerID: 11568

Reply By: Angryant - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 20:39

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 20:39
Thanks for the info. I had to buy oil today so I got the Penrite HPR. At least that gives me a few months to work out which I consider to be the best for my needs. I hope I made the right choice (in the short term). Thanks for the advice - appreciated.
AnswerID: 11591

Follow Up By: Kezza - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 23:32

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 23:32
Angry look no further you probably have the best oil for your purpose anyway - when its all said and done nobody will notice much difference between the good quality engine oils. Ive got a falcon thats done 320,000ks on penrite HPR 30 40 and now 50 - It still has the original camshaft (some tell me thats amazing) and it does not use oil - I just upped the grade every 100,000 ks to allow for any wear, my GQ with rb30 donk improved both oil pressure and fuel consumption when I put it onto
Penrite HPR40 at 150,000 ks - I almost wet myself when I used penrites limslip 140 in the patrols rear diff so effective was the LSD in the mud. and it also got rid of the famous patrol diff chatter on start off - AND as for the improvment in the gearbox - brilliant............but that Ive mentioned too often before
but heck what would I know!!
kezzaa
FollowupID: 6594

Reply By: Cobra - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 11:56

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 11:56
Angryant,
The oils I use in mine (depending on availability) are Shell Rimula super diesel, Shell Rimula X or Castrol RX. To date I have not had any problems with these in 18 months of use.
AnswerID: 11623

Follow Up By: Angryant - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 06:25

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 at 06:25
Thanks for the info.
Cheers
FollowupID: 6599

Sponsored Links