Old Eyre Highway

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 16:07
ThreadID: 30214 Views:6009 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone have any recent experience of the two sections of the old Eyre Highway:

- Nundroo to Nullarbor via Monburu Tank and Ivy Tanks
- Nullarbor to the SAWA border via the old Koonalda roadhouse ?

I believe the first section may go through Yalata community land.

DaveO
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 19:58

Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 19:58
Hello - sorry no recent info..Was a bit corrugated back in '75 when I last cruised those sections (in a Combi) - cant imagine its got any smoother.
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 151643

Reply By: boxer - Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 20:07

Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 20:07
err...thanks greg, but I went down this road in 1975 too - on a 500cc Suzuki, and fell off in the mud.
I really wanna know any recent info.

Cheers,

Dave
AnswerID: 151644

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 20:42

Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 20:42
Hi Boxer, did the run from Koonalda Homestead to Eucla March last year. Apart from a few pot-holes here & there it was a smooth run. Watch out for camels & roos as they were out in numbers & can be a hazard. The section between Nullabor Roadhouse & Koonalda homestead is blocked off so you have to go about 40km down the highway to the Koonalda T/O (which is not signposted) to gain access to the old highway. You will need a permit from S.A Parks & Reserves for access to Koonalda Reserve-available from Ceduna Office. Nice overnight stay at the Koonalda Homestead. Also did the Old Coach road from SA/WA border to Madura Pass. You will need permission the pass through Mundrabilla Station property & some of the gates may be locked beforehand. Cheers.
AnswerID: 151655

Sponsored Links