Horseshoe Rim Drive SA

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 21:09
ThreadID: 30222 Views:3093 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Today I was invited by Andrew Hiscock and the Whyalla 4wd Club to join them on a drive along part of the Horseshoe Rim, which lies west of Carrieton, SA.

Eleven vehicles took part including smaller 4bies such as a Jeep 3.7lt diesel and a Hyundai Terracan CRD.

The track is well marked and you get a bonus mud map after paying your $30 participation fee and after signing a No Liability form. There are a few tight corners to get through gates, a steep descent and a steepish climb but low range second looked after that.

Today was a HOT day with temps well above 40. Nevertheless our trip leader managed to find a shady tree for lunch in this arid part of the country. There we discovered a bearded dragon trying to camouflage him/herself on as brach of a tree.

The steep pinch was handled well by all except the Terracan. Unfortunately this vehicle had street tyres on and lost a little bit of traction. In reversing down the hill a few metres, the auto hubs unlocked and only 2wd prevailed. The driver is still learning the ropes of his machine and we could forgive him for that. Another club member got in behind the steering wheel and the Terracan flew up the hillside. Nothing like driving someone elses vehicle...lol

This trek is on Horseshoe Station and there is another trek up and over the Moockra Tower whichg accessible from another station. Next time.

The trek is mild 4x4(according to me) but the scenery, despite the dry countryside, is spectacular.

Thanks very much to Andrew and the Whyalla 4x4 Club for an enjoyable outing.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew (Whyalla SA) - Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 21:42

Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 21:42
It was a good day out. A pleasure to have you two along with us. I'll give you a call when we are doing part 2.

Willems 'trol

Lunch stop

My sons pic of the lizard

AnswerID: 151674

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 22:15

Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 22:15
No worries mate.

On the way out I turned left too early at Moockra Station and we ended up going along some tracks which looked that they haven't been driven on for quite a while. Poor Siggi had to open 8 gates :o) We came out at Stokes Station rubbish tip but there was a bypass road past the homestead and heaps of signs(although old) stating No Public access to the homestead.

From Carrieton we struck east to Johnburg, then another backroad to Minburra and then a few doglegs to Yalpara, Black Rock and eventually got to Pboro via the old Dawson Road.

Saw a thunderstorm in the distance and remarked that it looked like it was close to home. We had received 13mm of rain afrom the storm and arrived within minutes of the storm passing. Still it took the neighbours pool and half an hour of dunking to get cooled down again...LOL

Cheers
FollowupID: 405286

Follow Up By: Andrew (Whyalla SA) - Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 22:22

Sunday, Jan 29, 2006 at 22:22
LOL. I knew you were going to do that.
FollowupID: 405289

Sponsored Links