Hilux Suspension

Submitted: Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 09:20
ThreadID: 30230 Views:7241 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Old Man Emu vs Tough Dog, Hello all i have used the old man emu before and have not had a problem, just wondered who has used tough dog suspension before, have you had any dramas do they offer a warranty etc. Need to put a lift on the Hilux, considering TD and OME. Any help appreciated, need honest opinions.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen M (NSW) - Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 10:30

Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 10:30
Hi there Turbo, have an 89 sr5 mod d/cab have ome all round and is having a new set of springs, greasable shackles and pins and shockies put next week in the front all ome again. The gear thats in there now has been in since 91 when it was first changed over since new, springs have just started to sag in the front, and the shockies just starting to get a bit soft, back ones still ok but have to replace the bushes only plus shockies, vehicle has done 280 k now so I reckon it's great ,dont need a kidney belt but can load the back up chock o block and not have it sag at the same time. Has been around oz twice all the usual places and has never failed, so thats pretty good reliabilty to me not willing to change to something that I havn't used before. Not bagging tough dog as I have never used them before but are possibly just as good maybe better but Im not willing to change and I end up needing a kidney belt. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 151728

Reply By: Spankys - Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 12:58

Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 12:58
I use OME on my 2003 lux. Lifted, boosted rears, Nitrocharger shocks and raised front torsions. All good so far.
AnswerID: 151770

Reply By: WheelTravel - Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 14:59

Monday, Jan 30, 2006 at 14:59
I travelled Oz for a year and saw/spoke to many ppl with failed OME...

I also saw 2 Tough Dogs fail on my own car after only 20,000k's. I didn't see any other TD's fail, but then again, I didn't see any other ppl with TD's...

They were replaced under warranty, but not easily...

For $250 a corner, I reckon you should get better, I won't buy them again...

I wouldn't buy OME either... Somebody has to pay for all that A4WD Monthly sponsorship...

Next time I will go Koni's...the quiet achiever...

Cheers
AnswerID: 151804

Reply By: Cheiffy - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 01:57

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 01:57
Hi Turbo,

I have OME on my 2003 Hilux and have no complaints. It has done so far around 62K and showing no sign of wear, even when loaded.
I did have TD (Ralph) on my old 1994 Hilux and I am still feeling the effects. I am not knocking this product in anyway just the salesman who recommended them to me. The ride was too harsh and there was no give in the rear unless I was fully loaded at the time. I would imagine these shocks would be OK for heavy vehicles i.e. Patrols or Cruisers.

Hope this helps

Cheiffy
AnswerID: 151997

Sponsored Links