Insurance

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 19, 2003 at 22:26
ThreadID: 3025 Views:1591 Replies:9 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
INteresting point here if your with Suncorp!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who are you insured with and have you ever had to make a claim on offroad damage?
I just got back from Lancruiser Mountain Park and was speeking to Alben the owner and he was saying how a guy in a GU hit a stump up there and tore the swivel ball clean off the end of the housing and Suncorp refused to pay because he was in a 4wd park and was also offroad. Even though they said they would insure the vehicle offroad as long as it was not in a restricted area.

Im no longer insured with my rig. I canceled it 2 weeks before i rolled it because i had gone to far with mods to be insured anyway. But i was insured with Suncorp and they also told me i was insured offroad.Im now happy i didnt try to make any claims after what Alben has said.

So if you have made an offroad claim legitamatly(not told them it happened on road or in a carpark) how did you go? Did you have heaps of trouble getting the vehicle repaired/paid out?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: chopper - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 08:06

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 08:06
a couple of year back, suncorp actually mentioned four wheel drive parks in their list of exclusions, along with race tracks etc

I did some research and changed to RACQ GIO.
AnswerID: 11552

Reply By: Truckster - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 09:59

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 09:59
TCIS are working on new regs for their insurance I just found out...

I repaid mine on the 3rd of this month thankfully!

Be interesting to see what they change.... :S
AnswerID: 11555

Follow Up By: Rojac - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 17:30

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 17:30
There changing underwriters at the end of the month and the rep who I got a quote from said that some mods that youre covered for now may not be the cast with the new company. It will probably pay to look at the fine print after the transition period.

Cheers

Rob
FollowupID: 6521

Reply By: Greg - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 10:52

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 10:52
What constitutes Off Road? Is the Birdsville track, Gibb River Road, Simpson Desert or Anne Beadell Hwy offroad? I would suggest the Simpson is, the Anne Beadell marginal and the others not, but if you are doing hard 4wd work then I suggest it is a bit much to expect an insurance company to pay up. If you expect payment then you should have negotiated with the company beforehand and if they were still prepared to cover you then expect a substantial loading on the premium. I have just damaged my vehicle doing some stupid things in a serious off road situation but I wouldn't even contemplate putting in a claim. It is called being responsible for your actions?
AnswerID: 11559

Follow Up By: Flappan - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 11:33

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 11:33
Greg, I've done a fair bit of investigation on this.

The Major companies (NRMA GIO etc) will cover you offroad, provided the track shows on a map. A couple I believe then quote a map they use, eh Hema, Gregory, whatever. If the track shows on the map, good, if not bad.

NRMA told me, their definition is "a marked trail", but marked on what, concerns me. I understand though, they are referring to Topo maps, but I haven't yet actually had anyone confirm that.

Further to that, NRMA will NOT recover you from the bush AT ALL.

If you're involved in any "Club" activity, and that even includes along the highway, or on Private Land, which most 4wd parks are. Forget your insurance, they will not pay.

The only insurance I'm aware of that WILL cover you for Offroad anywhere, YES anywhere, including 4wdparks, club activities etc is TCIS which is then underwritten by CGU I believe. There are also some brokers out there that do 4wd insurance as well that are similar.
FollowupID: 6486

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 12:31

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 12:31
I certainly don't call an incident at Landcruiser Mountain Park an 'accident'.

It is the equivalent of a car race track to a 4WD - extreme actions. That is why people go there.
FollowupID: 6496

Follow Up By: Savvas - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 12:54

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 12:54
Flappan ... CGU have been recently gobbled up by IAG, who are the owners of NRMA, SGIO, SGIC & RACV Insurance.

Expect a change on their cover.
FollowupID: 6498

Follow Up By: Truckster - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 14:10

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 14:10
So Ozi you know all the details of the incident.. Please inform us...

didnt think so.....

Extreme actions - is that all there is??

didnt think so.....

Theres everything there from kiddie land to full competition tracks...
FollowupID: 6504

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 14:53

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 14:53
Truckster as soon as somebody says something intelligent you don't like you try and shut them up by deriding them and being a big bully.

Trouble is Truckster, it don't work on me - so don't bother replying and making yourself look like a fool.

No insurer in their right mind would insure a vehicle at an establishment like that.

Of course Truckster if you owned an insurance company you would ensure everbody for every situation and every place - NO of course you would not.

FollowupID: 6507

Follow Up By: Truckster - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 15:06

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 15:06
Trouble is Truckster, it don't work on me - so don't bother replying and making yourself look like a fool.

I doubt a 12 guage shot gun could shut you up Ozi.. Im not the only one.. You dont even realise that people set u up like a fish for Rex Hunt!! AND YOU BITE!!!!! ROTF!!!!!

been wrong on any battery arguements lately???
thought so
FollowupID: 6510

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 15:29

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 15:29
Truckster get your mum to change your nappy/diaper and dry behind your ears. You need it badly.
Really is about time you grow up into a big boy.

Truckster as a matter of interest due to your lack of comprehension and understanding what you want to understand instead of the facts, no, I was not wrong. We both had different pieces of information to hand.

Truckster grow up and start to behave like a big boy. You really are pretty pathetic with your mates like Axel (and aliases) and thepublican. What do they say about birds of a feather. Oh well, one day you may understand decorum.

Truckster why don't you answer any of the more complex questions in detail? Obviously you cannot.
FollowupID: 6513

Follow Up By: Truckster - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 22:52

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 22:52
What ozi, grow up like you??? Would rather be pack raped by the Harlem Globe trotters than be 1% like you.

Ozi, you were wrong and as usual you wouldnt admit it...

Unlike you, I dont pretend to know everything, so I only as a smart person would do, answer the things Im sure about.

Think about it, then get that gun and use it... Temple is the right place.
FollowupID: 6537

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 23:20

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 23:20
Truckster darling little boy, mummy is calling you to go to bed.

Now before you go, ask mummy to give you some basic lessons in English comprehension (that means understanding meanings of words)
I really must stop using big peoples words when I reply to your dribble posts.

Now toddle along like a good little boy
night night Truckster
FollowupID: 6538

Reply By: Kev. - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 10:55

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 10:55
Truckster, you say you have gone to far with mods to your vehicle.
What are they & are they legal?

TCIS website states that mods are ok.

-Quote- " Modifications : No restrictions applied to vehicle modifications providing the vehicle remains legally roadworthy "

Kev.
AnswerID: 11560

Follow Up By: Truckster - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 12:12

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 12:12
Nope.. I havent gone too far with mods... Not far enough!

Yes Mods are ok.. As long as they are engineered. My car is fully engineered for the mods. Also they wont(may have changed) insure cars with Chev motors.

BUT...

TCIS are working on changes to their stuff.... WHo knows what may come of it.
FollowupID: 6491

Reply By: Peter - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 14:16

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 14:16
Truckster,
3yrs ago i was on adirt track [very rough one] and reversed back over a boulder jamming the mud flap between the rock and the tyre, pulled mud flap off and did considerable damage to front guard on hilux. SGIC paid up without any problems,$1119.00. at the time if you are in a national park or reserve [public] that charges an entrance fee or you require a permit to be there you must have obtained this prior to you causing damage to your vehicle. maybe changed now but not to my knowledge
AnswerID: 11576

Reply By: Truckster - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 15:10

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 15:10
that can only suck.....
AnswerID: 11577

Reply By: Andy - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 17:22

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 17:22
Truckster

We are insured with Suncorp. I had a number of conversations with them to ensure we understood the limitations. One clear exclusion is damage in a 4WD park - this is written into documentation supplied with both the Policy & at each Renewal.

Suncorp cover, with the exclusion of 4WD Parks & some obvious exclusions, any accident on a road where the vehicle is legally entitled to be.

With regard to mods, our policy is to notify Suncorp of any addition/modification so that these are included on the policy, this is in the interest of both parties.

Andy
AnswerID: 11583

Reply By: Member-John - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 19:56

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 19:56
I have just ldged a claim for repairs to front bumper & replace of dual airbags after slamming nose first into dune in Lancelin(WA).Insured with Western QBE(I think equivalant QBE in east) and no probs at all.

For my Insurance as long as not restricted area then can claim.

Oh..premiums were also very reasonable..
AnswerID: 11590

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 20:46

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 20:46
John what is the experience like of both air bags going off?

Fortunatly I have never experienced this happening, and hope I never do.
FollowupID: 6527

Follow Up By: Member-john - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 14:57

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 14:57
Bloody great deafening BANG!! Instantly applied brake.

Didn't actually realise what happened(thought motor blew or suspention gave way)then I saw 2 great white bags in front of me.

My first words "!@#$, air bags work" lol
FollowupID: 6563

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 17:56

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 17:56
John, bit late to apply the brake! Yes, misadventures happen so quickly.

Thanks for the reply.
FollowupID: 6575

Reply By: diamond - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 21:01

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 21:01
not sure if you have it you have it in your state we in vic and insured with direct dial rating 3 gq insured for $17000 we pay $380 a year i had an incedent/accident/stupidity what ever you want to call it where i was at a four wheel drive track in bendigo where the do driver training but its public land and ended up three quarters of car in a big clay lake huge mess and a bit of damage getting it out but they payed up no questions asked if only i had my winch back then lol
AnswerID: 11646

Sponsored Links