Sunny Corner Track - NSW

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 08:46
ThreadID: 30278 Views:4860 Replies:1 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Morning all,

Just a bit of a query - has anyone done the Sunny Corner track near Lithgow, NSW. The one out of the Boiling Billy Trek Book. We did it a couple of weekends ago, and just wanted to see how others found it?

We hardly ever go out with other people, so we just want to see how our thoughts of the standard compared to others.

We had to move one tree, but overall the track was excellent. There was a hill in the middle that was a bit steep, but fine. The creek crossings were nothing to write home about.

We thought it was an easy track, even with the addition of the steep hill (the new version of the book shows a way round this hill, as it is apparantly too hard?). Also, we didn't see a single car for the whole trek, from the time we turned off the great western highway, until reaching the mudgey road (apart from a couple of people living in some shacks on the river).

We actually went home via the zig-zag at Lithgow, just so we could get in some decent 4WDing (as a side note - how deep is that hole at the top of the hill now???? We didn't go through - once was enough for me about 12 months ago....lol.......)

So, how have others found it? How would you rate it? We were driving a 105 series, with standard suspension and split rims, so it is a pretty capable vehicle.

Cheers,

Chump
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Vince NSW - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 09:03

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 09:03
Chump, rate it the same as you. Thehill in the misd section, we had it in low range 3rd, so we did not need the low range at all.
It seems that as soon as you get a bit west of Lithgow the volume of trafic in the Sunny Cnr area drops off a great deal. We went up to the Ball Bone Gap a few weeks ago & only saw 2 bike & i other 4by the whole day. The Track was all 2WD except for a few big mud holes after the rain.
I am limited to day trips only as I have to work most weeknds, so I am doing all the trips in the Blue mountains, Where is the big hole you spoke about at the Zig Zag ?

Vince
AnswerID: 152016

Follow Up By: chump_boy - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 09:23

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 09:23
Vince - if you head into the zig-zag area regularly:

Head along the main road in, until you get to the T intersection. Turn right, head along for about 200m, and it is on your left, in about 20 metres from the road. There is a track that parallels the main road for a while, before getting to the camp ground.

The puddle is now about 4 cars wide, and probably 4 cars long. I would guess in the deepest part it would be 2m or so..... If you have to go through - keep to the right...lol

Seriously though, as fun as it is, it is probably time for a load of gravel or something to stop any more erosion there.... 12 months ago it was 1 car wide, 1.5 long, and over bonnet depth. Just plain fun. Now it is just a good argument to get that area fenced off.

Cheers,

Chump
FollowupID: 405580

Follow Up By: Boc1971 - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 22:35

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 22:35
Chump -- that hole is now VERY DEEP -- 2 foot is soft mud -- mate has a Nissan patrol with 4 inch lift kit + 33 inch swampers --- and the water was over his bonnet !!! i stand 6.2 in height and hi bonnet easily reached my nipple height !!

took him a few good goes at it also as the truck was just pushing huge amounts of mud forward like a bull dozer ----

this whole will soon be too deep !!!

have a great dvd i have edited of our runs up lithgow , inc my friend hilux on its side ---

Boc
FollowupID: 405785

Follow Up By: chump_boy - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 08:23

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 08:23
Cheers Boc,

Was your mates hilux a white one - i saw one on it's side one day, about 6 months ago, i would guess. There was probably 3 other vehicle round, trying to help, so we moved on....

It looked like one of those things - glad i had done it, and don't have to do it again.....lol

Cheers,

Chump
FollowupID: 406153

Follow Up By: Boc1971 - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 08:55

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 08:55
here is the pic of the Hilux on its side -- maybe the same one you seen >?? if theer was a green 4runner and a Nissan Patrol ute -- then it was us you seen :)

FollowupID: 406161

Follow Up By: chump_boy - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 10:16

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 10:16
LOL - looks similar.....

My 5 year old still talks about the car on it's side. She was so worried the driver couldn't get out, and made me promise I wouldn't do that to our car.

Cheers,

Chump
FollowupID: 406189

Sponsored Links