Calling Aussie Swag owners

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 09:50
ThreadID: 30283 Views:3195 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

Tried out my camper for the first time on the weekend and being in Nth Queenslands wet season we got a thorough test of water proofing! Cyclone formed off the coast and the moonsoon was in full swing. The river came up 4 metres! The camper didn't leak a drop and the Prado towed it out through black soil slosh without a problem (though I had doubts as we started driving).

My question is....how do you fit the mattress cover to prevent it getting wet when packing up. Luckily there was a couple of hours break in the weather allowing the canvas to dry this time....but we couldn't figure out the loops and stretchy bits to hold the cover on.

Ours is a 2001 model. So glad we didn't have a tent.

Thanks in advance

Terry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Redeye - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 10:42

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 10:42
Terry,

We have a blue tarp that we put on top of the bed before closing. Just lie it there with the sides tucked in under the mattress. Do not have the actual size with me. Chose a cheap tarp as it will not see any sun.

Have had our Aussie Swag for a few years now and very happy.

Redeye
AnswerID: 152028

Follow Up By: tdv - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 10:55

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 10:55
Ours came with a factory made white tarp which has little loops and eyelets that are supposed to hook somewhere....

If in doubt I'll just tuck under as you suggested.

thanks
FollowupID: 405597

Reply By: Yumi - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 13:11

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 13:11
Terry

We have had our Aussie Swag Rover since 2001 and the white plastic? cover on ours didn't come with loops etc. so we just cover all of the bedding and tuck it in properly. We have just completed a 91 000 km trip over the worst tracks in Oz, and only now is the trailer starting to ingest some bulldust. not much, but Aussie Swag have added another pair of lock-down clips near the back, and it seems to have fixed the problem. You're right about the trailer, it has to be THE TOUGHEST on the market.
Wish I could have said the same about our brand new Prado grande, it slowly disintergrated before our eyes. Engine mounts sheered, dropping the engine onto the chassis rails, the exhaust and bash plates all came off on a regular basis (three times each) and the steering rack came apart on the Gunbarrel Hwy. Good old Toyota would not honour the warranty with the engine mounts.
Cheers
trevor
AnswerID: 152057

Follow Up By: tdv - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 14:51

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 14:51
Glad to here the Aussie Swag is tough...but now worried about my around Oz trip next year with the Prado.

Our is the TD GXL and we have done 56000k trouble free so far. Was yours the 120 series? Best thing I have done was fit Cooper ATR tyres...they are great allrounders.
FollowupID: 405644

Follow Up By: Jim-Bob - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 15:09

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 15:09
G'day Terry
We have a 2003 model Clasic and have towed it up the Cape, thru the Gulf and across the Gunbarrel Hwy to Steep Point on three separate trips and we had no trouble at all with the C/T.

As Yumi said above our cover has not got the loops so just cover the bed and tuck it in.

We also have a 2001 GXL TD Praydo and towed the C/T without any dramas as long as you could stand the dash rattles, on the good side you couldn't drop off to sleep while driving on the gravel.

Safe Travells
Jim-Bob.
FollowupID: 405647

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 17:07

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 17:07
Our Aussie Swag is a 2001 model and came with the white plastic and has loops like a matress cover (guess it is just that).

We just hook it over the head end and tuck it in like everyone else. We have had very wet canvas but always a dry bed.

We agree with other comments that the trailer is great. Ours is the chellenger and has done several trips out west, up north ,down south, etc and always done very well. It has been from Bluff Hut to Howitt Hut if you know the Vic high country and only scrapped the jockey wheel bracket a couple of times but no problems.

We carry spare wheel bearings as the oil/grease seals at the back chopped out and had to replace them 100km north of Camooweal. (luckily had spare with me)
Otherwise no problems (not even a flat -touch wood) but did have an emu run into the side in the Flinders and it smashed the gas regulator. New regulator and all is well.

I hope you enjoy your Aussie Swag as much as we do ours.!!!!
AnswerID: 152087

Sponsored Links