80 series -Fuel Tank Fault

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 31, 2006 at 13:36
ThreadID: 30290 Views:1421 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Last 2 trips have seen the Fuel Tank warning light glow on the petrol GXL.
first was in the Vic high Country at Xmas and then again last weekend at Yadboro.
Both times I was under 1/4 tank full in main tank but low fuel light had not come on.
Problem is that when this Fuel Tank warning light is on you cannot pump from secondary tank to main.

I know there is a float to prevent overfilling main tank and assume this is sticking when vehicle is at steep angle for extended periods.

I can get rid if the warning light by removing and replacing fuse but the first time couldnt get pump to work until I had completely refilled main tank then ran it down again.

last weekend I put in 20 litres drove around for 1/2 hour and light just reset after stopping on a slight uphill and then reversing.
what the hell?

Vehicle has 375K plus and I thought maybe there is wear on float pivot pins or something. However as I have never delved inside the fuel tank would appreciati if someone out there who has can tell me how it all is supposed to work.

need to start somewhere.
cheers
Howard

Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 08:25

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 08:25
In the main tank, seperate to the fuel gauge float and low level, is a pair of floats that tell the fuel pump cpu when the main is below 3/4 and when it is above.
Below, it allows pumping until low level in aux is set off, or it reaches upper 3/4 on main tank.
So u have three earth signals that might be intermittantly on when they shouldnt.....the other thing it could be is an over current on the pump motor, there is a small filter on the inlet of the pump in the solenoid that cuts fuel backflow...i would start there....and give it a clean.
Other floats need the tanks out.
AnswerID: 152223

Follow Up By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 12:57

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 12:57
Andrew,
thanks for that, will start with the filter.
cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 405912

Sponsored Links