Camping / sailing, Cairns to Palm Cove area

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 11:48
ThreadID: 30312 Views:3192 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'day,
I'll be up that way at the end of June and wonder if anybody can recommend a good camping ground / caravan park between Cairns and Palm Cove. Ideally close to beach but not essential.
Also looking for a 7 - 10 day sailing experience in that area and welcome any recommendations.

Thanks,
Mike
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 12:03

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 12:03
Hi Mike:

Take a look at Caravan Park Reports website .

When I lived and worked up there, the Cairns Coconut Caravan Resort was highly regarded, and it seems to have a good report on this site.

Can't help with the sailing, but I can't see you having any problems. It is a very tourist geared town.

Enjoy it .. one of my favourite places.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 152255

Follow Up By: Member - Mike H (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 15:18

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 15:18
Hi Jack,
thanks for your info.
Will browse through that web site,
Cheers,
Mike
FollowupID: 405935

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 13:52

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 13:52
Mike, sounds like a nice trip (especially the sailing) - have a look at the Caravan Parks Industry Association for Queensland website that should give you some ideas as well. Address is: www.caravanqld.com.au and check their directory.
AnswerID: 152270

Follow Up By: Member - Mike H (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 15:27

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 15:27
G'day Ruth,
how are you and Ian?
Thanks for the link.
It's been a while since I have been up that way.I'm taking a Tag Along Group up to the Cape. We'll finish in Cairns and some of the overseas participants are looking to stay around Cairns for a while after the trip. They are interested in doing some sailing.

Not sure yet if I'll be coming your way this season, I'll let you know if I do.
In any case, if you are still in BV in 2007, I'll catch up with you around July.
Cheers,
Mike
FollowupID: 405938

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 23:10

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 23:10
Ellis Beach and Palm Cove both have caravan parks but you better start phoning now as they are usually booked out months in advance. Cairns Yacht Club and the Cairns Cruising Yacht Squadron both have WAGS and SAGS as do most yacht clubs where people with yachts are looking for people and crew to teach and help sail them on wednesday and saturday after noons. Just go to either one introduce yourself and tell them you want to learn or crew. I did it for years before I had kids and still had a life. Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 406112

Reply By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 18:03

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 18:03
Yo Mike,

I live in Cairns and would reckon that the best scenic park would be the Ellis beach CP.north side....
On the southside Coconut villiage is one of I believe only 2, 5 star parks in OZ. I stand corrected but I think I am correct.

You can email me if you wish to get a bit more info for you.

I will also be down in Melbourne on the 10 Feb for a week so we could meet and discuss if you wish.

Let me know via members message eh!
AnswerID: 152320

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 19:00

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 19:00
I would have to agree about Ellis Beach. Location is second to none, but it has been a while since I stayed there so can't comment on ammenities and owners.
Cheers Trevor.
FollowupID: 406019

Sponsored Links