cape york

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 11:50
ThreadID: 30313 Views:2224 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Heading to the cape next June and would like to know from the kind people out there the best and scenic route to Cape york, and do I need a snorkel on my vehicle

Cheers Pete
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Moose - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 14:09

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 14:09
G'day Pete
The best and scenic - from where? On the Cape itself just stick to the OTL both ways. The bypass road is boring.
Do you need a snorkel? - has been covered before - do a search. Depends on what you want to do but generally you don't NEED one although it may be handy. I've been to the Cape a few times and have never had a snorkelled vehicle. If necessary I've tarped up, sprayed with WD40 etc.
AnswerID: 152271

Reply By: Robbg - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 15:02

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 15:02
Pete, I also will be at the Cape in June and have similar questions. I'll be towing an off road trailer behind a 2001 petrol Jackaroo. I'm leaning towards fitting a snorkel, despite the cost, just for peace of mind. The depth and condition of creeks to be crossed on the OTL would vary from year to year so I'm not sure how much value to place on the experience of those who've done it before. regards, Rob.
AnswerID: 152281

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 16:01

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 16:01
Gaday Pete.......How long do you have? That will decide how scenic you can go.
The usual 2 weeks on the Cape trip most do is up the middle & accross to Wiepa. A bit of a look around, possibly do the mine tour then accross to Batavia Downs. Straight up the Telegraph track to Bamaga. Usually 4 or 5 days at the tip allows a drive to a few WWII sites, Somerset & the boat trip out to Thursday & Horn Islands. Heading south again take the bypass road if for no other reason than it's different & out to Captain Billy's landing. Further south accross the Frenchman's track to Chilli beach. From Musgrave most usually cut accross through Lakefield coming out at Cooktown.
With 4+ weeks on the Cape you can then add the Palmer river gold fields, Pera Heads, Mapoon,Vrilya point, Ussher point, Shelbourne dunes (may now be closed) & Bathurst Bay.
Best to get the Ron Moon Cape book. Almost everything to be seen is in there.
In June you wont need a snorkel. Far more trouble with dust than water. Just take a blind in case of unseasonal rain. Certainly not worth fitting it just for one trip as all the creek crossings are short & only two or three could have any depth that may worry you.
Cheers Craig.........
AnswerID: 152291

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn D (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 16:23

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 16:23
Spot on Crackles , Lakefield NP and Chilli Beach were my favourites.

Glenn.
FollowupID: 405964

Reply By: Member - Mike H (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 16:04

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 16:04
G'day Pete.
I may catch up when you are on your way back.
I don't expect to get to the Cape before July15th or there about.

I have done the trip in the past without a snorkel but feel happier with one.

Have a great trip,
Mike
AnswerID: 152293

Reply By: Member - Peter A (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 16:53

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 16:53
Thank to all for the tips, and will be going for 6 weeks

Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 152311

Follow Up By: Crackles - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 17:09

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 17:09
6 weeks.......well you better include the Creb track on the way up :-)
If you can take a small boat. Some of the best fishing in Oz.
Craig.........
FollowupID: 405981

Reply By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 09:05

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 09:05
Another alternative to consider, if you don't like the same 1100km corrugated road back to Cairns, is to load your car into a container & return back by cargo ship. It is a lovely two days relaxing, fairly inexpensive return trip. The ship is the Trinity Bay, sails every week Cairns to Siesia and return. The Cost is about $600 or so for your car plus your fare. Do a search on Trinity Bay for details. Sparky
AnswerID: 152452

Sponsored Links