RE post 30295 cop shoots petrol thief

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 13:29
ThreadID: 30317 Views:2310 Replies:9 FollowUps:27
This Thread has been Archived
it now transpires that the shot person is wanted for questioning by vic police for the stabbing murder of two sisters.Now more information is coming though there was probably some justification in what transpired. Good shooting led to this officer saving his own life against someone with nothing to lose.

Jeepster
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: robak (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 14:23

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 14:23
and saved us all a heap in court costs.
AnswerID: 152272

Reply By: Mulga Bill - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 14:35

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 14:35
Somehow I already knew there was more to it - most drivers would rather pay for their fuel than die by the roadside..... then again, fuel is getting dearer.
Levity aside, thankfully the police officer prevailed, while simply doing his duty.... it often has been the other way round.
AnswerID: 152275

Follow Up By: Member - laura B (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 22:29

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 22:29
most people wont say they have fuel...us caltex/shell etc workers have to get it out of people!!! the customers i have dealt with only 20% of them will say they have fuel without me asking.....
Laura B

HAPPY INSIDE WHEN IM OUTSIDE
FollowupID: 406094

Reply By: govo - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 15:35

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 15:35
Yer but watch all the do gooders that will still say that the cop over reacted and they should not being carrying guns...effrontery >>> god l love that word... lol
AnswerID: 152285

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 15:45

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 15:45
Some will say he over reacted but if the report on the wireless this morning is correct, I say he had every right... They mentioned a broken nose, depressed fracture of the eye socket and several other suspected fractures.
FollowupID: 405946

Follow Up By: mick - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 16:01

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 16:01
Not to mention 187cm, 120kg, angry, on the run and weilding a wheel brace that he was quite happy to use on the copper.

These poor coppers never know whats ahead of them, for me,
better to carry a gun and not need it than to need it and not have it.

At the end of the day that poor copper who is risking his *rs for us deserves to go home to his family.
FollowupID: 405953

Follow Up By: garrycol - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 18:17

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 18:17
I am the first to critiscise the cops but the cop didn't look too healthy on the news - I would say that on this occassion - fair cop
FollowupID: 406002

Reply By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 16:16

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 16:16
Not that dissimilar to the case currently going here in Sydney of the female security guard who apprehended a robber. The robber belted her savagely, wearing *knuckle dusters* and took off. She gave chase and shot him dead.

And *she's* in court on a murder charge !!!! Are knuckle dusters a new fashion accessory???

Er ... hello .... ????????

Biggest crims in this country sit in charge of courts. They call them judges and magistrates.

... now that I've got that off my chest ..........

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 152295

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (Newcastle) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 16:30

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 16:30
What about the p...ks that belted the cabby to death in Sydney this week?

Poor bugger, stroke victim trying to earn an honest quid driving a cab and gets bashed to death over a reported $100.00

I agree with your summary on the crims in wigs.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 405967

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 16:41

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 16:41
Agreed...
FollowupID: 405971

Follow Up By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 17:41

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 17:41
"she gave chase and shot him dead"

That is where the rules about reasonable force come in. If your assailant is fleeing you can't shoot them to stop them getting away.

I have no problem with the guy in WA though. Using force to stop someone beating you up is a whole other ball game.

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 405990

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 18:03

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 18:03
Hi Pete:

Legally you are correct. Morally as far as I am concerned the poor lady has no case to answer. As they say ... "the law is an ass".

I often wonder how many of these attacks there might be if we were allowed to carry weapons and had the right to defend ourselves to the untimate end. Many of these cowards prey on people knowng they cannot defend themselves.

I hope she gets off.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 405996

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 18:12

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 18:12
"We" I assume covers the assailant too Jack, so he would probably have just shot her rather than bash, The good ol' US of A shows what liberal guns laws can produce and I for one don't want that here.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 405998

Follow Up By: gramps - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 18:13

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 18:13
In regards to the female security guard, just a case of preventive maintenance really. Odds are that sooner or later the scumbag would have sunk to something lower.

p.s. the previously mild mannered Gramps has left the building ........
FollowupID: 405999

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 19:57

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 19:57
jack could be right...take some localities where gun ownership and the right to carry are allowed (with tuff control measures of course)...lots of data on it...some for and some against...but take the swiss for example...and several states and localities in the states...crime is lower than elsewhere, cos just about every one owns a gun, or in the case of the yanks in those applicable states the "right to carry"...is it a definite deterent?...why are the rates so much lower...
remember - its the crims who dont care about laws....
just ask the bikies er i mean crims how many guns they handed during the very generous $$$ buy-back that Howard demanded...not 1 illegally owned firearm i bet.
so what did they get of the street...guns they knew where they were and owned by law abiding gun owners
FollowupID: 406329

Reply By: Trev88 - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 16:42

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 16:42
Hi all

If you stuff up and get caught then lay down and take it like the crim you are IMHO the cops should have the gun drawn as they approch the car and the driver should throw the keys out the window toward the cop. Then no hi speed cases the cop has control and knows where the crim is. I would gladly do this to show the cop he has control and can relax with the gun in saftey. Yeh yeh some cops will abuse it but I dount any of us will be shot because of it may be just our pride dinted. Small price to pay for some one who puts their life on the line day in day out.

I say good shot, and I hope the cop recovers his confidence in life again.

TM2CW

Trevor
AnswerID: 152306

Follow Up By: Eddy - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 17:53

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 17:53
Not worried about dented pride Trev, just don't want the myself the wife & kids to be confronted with an over enthusiastic young cop sticking a loaded gun in our faces because we clipped a double white line.

Next thing you know housewives will be getting handcuffed through the drivers widow & being dragged off to the cop shop for processing because they double parked while dropping the kids of at school.
(Happened last week in Queensland)

Don't know the rights or wrongs of it but thank goodness for the crime and misconduct commission which keeps an eye on things.
Both the police union and the police commissioner came out strongly via the media to defend the cop even before the Lady had her chance to defend herself in court.
Hard to see how she would get a fair hearing after that little lot.

Eddy

FollowupID: 405994

Follow Up By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 18:38

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 18:38
Eddy,

It works both ways but not evenly. Trial by media for the coppers is a given - guilty! However if a member of the public - well the case of the woman in QLD is typical. You can believe what you want but have you heard the FULL story yet - I haven't except in the MEDIA...

Let's just wait and see what transpires and if the copper(s) did wrong then they should be held accountable but just remember they are had for the smallest indiscretion whereas WE on the other side expect sympathy. Can't have it both ways and good ridance to the worm in the West. My young fella is a copper and I wait for the day the cops come round or we receive the call. So please don't be too judgemental about ALL coppers - most are fine young men and women just doing a job....someone's son or daughter....husband or wife ...
FollowupID: 406009

Follow Up By: gramps - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 18:57

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 18:57
Well said Crazy Dog. They're doing a job that does'nt have a great deal of appeal for a lot of people but we'd be stuffed if someone did'nt do it.
FollowupID: 406017

Follow Up By: Eddy - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 21:19

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 21:19
Crazy Dog.
No intention to demean your young son or any other policeman.
I have a lot of contact with the force in my day to day dealings.
A lot of respect for the stuff they have to put up with day in day out.

As you say:
"You can believe what you want but have you heard the FULL story yet - I haven't except in the MEDIA..".

If I don't hear it in the media how will I hear it?

So what am I to believe? I wasn't having a go at coppers, just reacting to what Trev88 said which seemed a little bit too LA law style for us in Australia.
The rest of what I said was reported in the media. Right or wrong.
I am just asking for a little bit of balance as some of the comments I have read here would make a lynch mob blush.

Eddy

FollowupID: 406065

Follow Up By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 21:43

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 21:43
Yo Eddy,

Have a read on the post (PostID: 30073) about bacon & eggs - look what happens if you don't pay..... The vitriol surrounding that was astonishing.

Yep you are right about getting the info but lets us all wait until a result comes down from the court and then make a judgement post the hearing and not make judgements BEFORE the hearing. As far as the WA incident goes we haven't heard it all yet and even then I was too quick to react.

I am also asking for the balance but that balance must be equal both ways. Yes I sometimes make hasty assumptions about the media and the law and the way it is reported and I guess that goes with being a coppers old man. Sorry if you took it the wrong way and I appreciate your reply.
FollowupID: 406074

Follow Up By: Eddy - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 22:48

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 22:48
I think we are all on the same side.
Didn't take it the wrong way, I don't want you to think I did.
Scum bags usually get what they deserve.
Pity that some of them have to put it on a coppers conscience.
I just think the checks & balances are there as much for the protection of the officers as for the scumbags.

FollowupID: 406100

Follow Up By: dinodog- Central Coast NSW - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 20:05

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 20:05
eddy, that female arrested in qld, for a traffic matter as you put it, was arrested for her behavour after being spoken to by the police not for where she parked her car. it appears that she has a problem with her anger management and that is what got her into strife. she failed the attitude test and the police officer responded in a manner in which he was entitled. she set the standard of responce not the police.
FollowupID: 406330

Reply By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 18:09

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 18:09
So back to the bacon and eggs - make sure you pay ok!
AnswerID: 152323

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 18:15

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 18:15
I know those girls Dad, he works same place I do. Shame the person was shot and not hauled back to answer his crime.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 152324

Follow Up By: Scubaroo - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 18:28

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 18:28
Assuming he was those poor girls' murderer, karma caught up with him pretty bloody quick. Well done universe.
FollowupID: 406006

Follow Up By: Robert - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 08:12

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 08:12
"Shame the person was shot and not hauled back to answer his crime."

No, it's bloody good that he was shot dead, as the punishment from the legal system would not have fitted the crime - we don't have capital punishment anymore and life sentencing is a complete joke!

FollowupID: 406151

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 18:37

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 18:37
Allan Irwin said the same, I just know that in my case I would want to see the guy answer his crime if he was guilty of it, then shoot the bugger.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 406314

Reply By: Exploder - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 20:04

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 20:04
Yeah there were a few people going off without knowing the full story.

Also to those few or 1 I think, who were going on about cop’s carrying Guns all the time, well news flash they don’t always, the only cop’s you see carrying guns are the Blokes in uniform when they are on Patrol as the nature of there Job the circumstances can change quickly.

My old mans been in the Plainclothes Divisions for most of his time and he hardly ever carries a gun, as the nature of his job he knows when he may require it. The uniform boy’s don’t that why they always carry one.

AnswerID: 152345

Follow Up By: govo - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 22:03

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 22:03
Gee..ol Mike is quiet is'nt he :) :) :)
FollowupID: 406084

Follow Up By: Exploder - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 22:50

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 22:50
Yes he is..

But I don’t like to mention names, and we are all entitled to a view on a subject, I am sure I have made the odd comment that people have not agreed with or was incorrect, on hear as well.

The second bit of my reply is totally based on experience and not out of a police operational Firearms directive.

FollowupID: 406102

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 18:04

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 18:04
Sorry Govo, you must forgive me taking 21 hours to reply but I have a few more pressing issues in life than reading this forum at one hour intervals.

What would you like me to say Govo?

I made rational and logical arguments to support my point of view and, unlike you, I didn't hurl insults about.

You have failed to deal with any of the points I raised and I'm not going to repeat myself. And, frankly, I'm wondering about the wisdom of debating with someone whose only response is abuse.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 406305

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 18:35

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 18:35
Never have a battle of wits with an unarmed person Mike.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 406313

Follow Up By: govo - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 00:54

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 00:54
Ummm mikey me lad ...if saying that you made a stupid comment based on no facts was in your opinion abuse then l take it that you live a pretty shelted life...you sure get upset over a little bit of critizism and lets not forget that it was you that changed you view...firstly you said that cops don't need to carry guns then you say they do .
You made that stupid comment based on no facts of the case, you were not at the scene and did not know what events took place but you jumped right in and said that cops don't need to carry guns and then dribbled on about Africa and the U.K and lots of newspaper articles on police shootings and retraining. l'm wondering what big words you'll come back with now....effrontery....get real mike and get a life.
FollowupID: 406373

Follow Up By: govo - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 00:57

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 00:57
Quote....I made rational and logical arguments to support my point of view ( all from the print media )

This one really cracked me up
FollowupID: 406374

Reply By: Boc1971 - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 08:26

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 08:26
$1 for a bullet -- 1/2 Mil + for court costs housing - clothing - feeding --- Best spent $1 of tax payers monney

( thats of coarse if he was guilty of those 2 murders )

Boc
AnswerID: 152445

Sponsored Links