WHERE TO STORE FUEL

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 21:37
ThreadID: 30334 Views:2215 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
HI, We are doing a big NT tip and are only taking the 80series...camping it!!anyway need to know where people store fuel and how....i know we need to carry about 40lt spare...we are on petrol/lpg...but should we use a few 10lt jerrys on roof..but then its more weight on roof....or do we use a couple of 20lt in the car...but then i dont like having fuel in the car....what has evryone else done and how?we are going to have false floor with _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx in with waeco 50lt and a few storage boxes on top for clothes....
Laura B
HAPPY INSIDE WHEN IM OUTSIDE
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Exploder - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 21:49

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 21:49
I normally go between 20-60Ltrs in 20Ltr jerry cans depending on the requirements and store in the back of the 4WD +20-40Ltrs of water.

If the rubber seals are good you will not have a problem, I fill mine up give them bit of a shake and listen for any hissing and look for fuel leakage then tip them upside down for 10min and do same.

I pack the fuel in such a way so the cans are in there tight and upright, also so they can’t be nocked around or rub on anything that might cause them to rupture.

2 of My Fuel can’s are U.S army ones from 1938 and 1942 from memory> Still going strong too.

Have never been a fan of storing Fuel on a roof rack, if it’s inside the car you will smell if you have any leakage and it will stay cooler and safer IMO.
AnswerID: 152371

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 21:51

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 21:51
Laura,

Carrying fuel in side the vehicle should not be a problem. The Rheem orange jerry cans are probably the best. They should be placed in the vehicle as low as possible and if possible tied to the cargo barrier. 10lt jerry cans are better as they are a lot lighter to lift and they can be spread around the back of the vehicle.
They don't have to be close and handy because the best time to refuel the vehicle is in the morning. The vehicle is cool and the jerry cans have had time to cool down as well. Take the vehicle away from the camp fire and refuel.
When the jerry cans are empty they then can go on the roof rack with the cap just on so that the jerry can can breathe.

If the jerry can leaks than don't take it either on the roof rack or in the vehicle.

Most vehicles that do a lot of out back travel have long range tanks fitted. On my vehicle I can carry 270lt of diesel.

If there is only 2 people in the vehicle, take the back seat out and that will give you a lot more space.

Wayne
AnswerID: 152372

Follow Up By: Member - toohey - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 22:02

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2006 at 22:02
g'day the mob
am i rite jerry cans st. AUS2906 i've had a couuuple.
cheers toohey
FollowupID: 406082

Reply By: Glenn (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 16:32

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 16:32
Hi Laura,

I too have an 80 series, that once ran on petrol/lpg, now just petrol. Last time I was in NT, I didn't have any issues with obtaining fuel of either kind. LPG is available in all the major places (Yulara, Kings Canyon, Alice, Curtin Springs, Ti Tree, Barrow Creek, Wycliffe Well, Tennant Creek, Three Ways) in the south/central regions. I would gather that all the way up the Stuart it would be the same all the way to Darwin. I believe that there is a web site that shows where you can get LPG but cannot recall what it is.

As far as carrying fuel, when I crossed the Simpson, I carried 40 litres in 4 x 20l plastic jerries on the roof rack. The fitted nicely and didn't sit up too high. I also emptied these as early as I could to reduce the weight on the roof.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Glenn
AnswerID: 152542

Follow Up By: Crackles - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 21:49

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 21:49
Agree Glen that a few jerries on the roof emptied into the tank on the first night is the go. Standard tanks will get you 95% of places.
I use the quality Black Rheem jerrys & squeeze some of the air out when filling to allow for expansion. Just need to be aware of the additional weight up top & drive accordingly.
Except on the most remote of trips there are heaps of places to refuel now so in reality the majority of people would only need to carry jerries for a few days.

Laura B. Where are you driving in the NT that requires additional fuel anyway???????
Cheers Craig.........
FollowupID: 406346

Reply By: Russ - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 21:06

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 21:06
Laura,
You have had some good feedback.
We are going that way in August, but only have time to do a small area (over 2 weeks), so I will not be carrying any extra fuel (100 series).

When you have planned your route, and then check fuel availablity in the areas that you are travelling, you may find that it will not be necesary to carry any fuel.

Remember 1 l = 1 kg, and then depending on how much you carry, could = a reduction in economy.

Enjoy.

Russ
"Prickle"
AnswerID: 152590

Reply By: Rob80 - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 13:39

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 13:39
Hi All
Agree with Glenn - extra fuel really only needed when crossing Simpson Desert or similar.

Some extra info that might be of use. I have an 80 Series and I built a simple plywood box for the roof rack such that 2 X 20 litre metal jerry cans can lay side by side and flat (to lower wind resistance) when empty and for high speed highway travel. For off road use these stand upright and are held by rachet straps. Filling is easy and the weight is no problem. They are located on the fuel filler cap side of the vehicle and after the first day's travel the 40 litres fuel is transferred to the main tank using a jiggler siphon and plastic tube plus a fuel funnel/filter for extra safety. This takes approx. 5-6 minutes and the extra weight is only on the roof for the first day or 2 at most.

Used this system for much outback travel over 4 weeks last July and it worked a treat. Hope this helps.
Rob
AnswerID: 152720

Follow Up By: Member - laura B (NSW) - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 15:00

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 15:00
we are planning on doing oodnadatta track and up to alice via finke and chambers pillar.....its about as remote as we'll do as we have 2 daughters who'll be 3 and 1 when we go and we dont wann go to far outta reach!....do you think we'll need extra fuel?did i say we're petrol/lpg....think we'll get approx 700 with both fuels...
Laura B
FollowupID: 406468

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 22:13

Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 22:13
Laura,
I have a fuel hungry 80 series Gxl petrol and fuel for remote travel is a pain but not enouuh to fork out the obscene prices for long range tank
I have carried up to 6 jerry cans, loaded on their long edge on the roof rack without problems on journeys all over australia. , just drive according to the weight up top. ( not any heavier than the tinny amd motor carried on other trips),and get the fuel into the main tank every 20 litres worth.say every 80-100 km.
it was good to arrive in Birdsviile after a simpson crossing with 6 empties on the roof and a full tank of fuel.
since purchasing the camper trailer, roof rack is gone and what i cannot do with the 3 jerries that fit on the trailer( a total of 210 litres) hasnt proven to be a problem.
regards
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 153020

Sponsored Links