Best tent

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 22:11
ThreadID: 30367 Views:2940 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Opinions please, what would be the best tent to take on a dingy trip the length of the Murray. My wife and I for about five weeks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 22:28

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 22:28
Basecamping??

something like this?
AnswerID: 152618

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 22:56

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 22:56
I may be showing my age here and I don't know if they still make them but something like a Macpac Olympus would be ideal. Light and compact to carry, quick to put up and will stand up well in any weather.

Don't know where you are Vin but check out the bushwalking stores like Snowgums and Paddy Pallin.

Make sure you have plenty of credit on the plastic if you are going to buy from them, but you will get good advice.

Duncs
AnswerID: 152629

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 23:46

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 23:46
I'd swag it myself but then the wife wouldn't come. Been thinking about doing it too. Met a couple yesterday who did the Mildura to Waikerie leg and loved it.

If you are going downstream from Tocumwall make sure the rivers up or there are spots where you won't get through according to locals.

Some might say that isn't a problem.....

Dave
AnswerID: 152638

Reply By: Bega Photographer - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:33

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:33
Hey Vin.

I've got a dingy and a tent. Would love to be comming with you but I guess that would spoil the fun.

Your trip has some similarity with my wilderness landscape photography trips in the South Australian outback on an ATV (four wheel motorbike).

When breaking camp each day the biggest hassle is not putting the tent up and down but rather, stowing everything for travel.

Have you considered towing a raft (barg in the paddle steamer days) for your gear, in the same way as I tow a trailer. That way space is not such a big consern and you can afford the luxury of a tent you can roll over in. It's great to have a bit of space if the weather turns bad.

At least you won't have the water cartage problems that I have to overcome on my wilderness landscape photography trips.

You can see some photos of my camp on my wilderness landscape photography website at the following links.

ATV Camp

Wilderness Travel

I, and no doubt others, would be pleased to hear more about you plans and preparation and after the event about your adventures. Some photos perhaps. Sounds like a great trip.

Regards,
Laurie.
Wilderness Landscape Photography
AnswerID: 152656

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 10:48

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 10:48
Well,

Considering that the tent would probably only be big enough to sleep in and cooking ect., would be done outside, NONE.

I too would use one, or two, hoop style swags.

They give everything a small tent gives, plus they have "built-in" bedding.

Even if one used a small tarp to provide protection from rain, I wouldn't consider anything else in this circumstance.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 152696

Sponsored Links