Deep Cycle Battery

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 22:38
ThreadID: 30368 Views:4056 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all!, couple of quick questions.

First of all, about 18 months ago i bought a bosch deep cycle battery and despite all my best intentions i am still yet to fit the dual battery system to my car. Im pretty sure the battery would be buggered by now from lack of use but was wondering if anyone knew how i could effectively test it to see whether its ok to still install or whether it should be used as a paperweight in the shed.

My second question is, and excuse my ignorance on this one, but i was always of the belief that when the ignition was off and the batteries were isolated, the only equipment that would run off the auxillary battery were those that were actually wired to it. I have recently read something, however, that has led me to believe that all equipment, eg the stereo which is wired to the main battery, will still run off the auxillary battery once they have been isolated. Im pretty sure this is incorrect but if anyone could shed some light on this for me it would be greatly appreciated cause im quite confused at the moment.

finally could someone point me in the direction of some wiring information for the system. Ive got a little elec experience and can wire stereos, uhfs etc without a drama but just wanted a bit of guidance on this one. Im pretty sure i have a solenoid style isolator and dont have any wiring info with it.

If you've gotten this far, thanks for your patience :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: russ36 - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 22:54

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 22:54
email me for a wireing diagram
AnswerID: 152628

Follow Up By: 000dylan000 - Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 23:08

Thursday, Feb 02, 2006 at 23:08
Awesome thanks!

Whats your email address...if there is a way of finding it through the forum, i havent worked it out...new to this forum stuff.

Mine is dylangray@dodo.com.au if you didnt want to put yours up

Thanks
FollowupID: 406361

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 11:07

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 11:07
Simple matey,

If the primary and auxiliary battery are ISOLATED, then both batteries will be disconnected from each other when the ignition is off. There can be no doubt about this.

Now, there are several forms of "Isolators".

A smart Isolator (when ignition is on and engine running) will first charge the Primary battery, then charge the Auxiliary battery. At any other time, (as when the ignition is off) both batteries are electrically disconnected from each other and therefore all accessories connected to the Auxiliary battery will only draw power from this one only.

The Primary battery is left in a charged state so that it can start your vehicle. Providing you haven't left the door open, or some other electrical device directly connected to it is not drawing power.

If the Isolator (Controller) is not capable of performing the above, in short, it is crap and is not an Isolator worth having.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 152700

Follow Up By: Member - Tony W (VIC) - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 22:31

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 22:31
sandman, just purchased ajackaroo se 2001 TD after abit of advice .
my question is just had the aux battery replaced as part of the deal with the caryard,they told me that the biggest d.c battery they could fit underthe hood was a 65ah .
Is this B. S or not. the auto elec who installed this assured
me this would run 60l waeco for acouple of days of
would appreciate you re input being fellow jack owner.
thanks tone.

FollowupID: 406613

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 09:31

Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 09:31
Tony,

No, not exactly B.S. but depends on what battery you wish to install.

The AGM batteries have a bigger physical footprint. They are usually too long and too high to fit in the Auxiliary cradle.
I currently have an Exide Orbital (55Ah) and that is about the biggest AGM battery that will fit. This doesn't worry me as I also have a portable battery pack of 75Ah capacity (Thumper) which I can also charge off the alternator when travelling.

If you choose a Wet Cell Deep Cycle you should be able to fit a 77Ah battery in. I still have the wet cell at home and will post the battery code this afternoon. (At work this morning)
Bill

FollowupID: 406684

Follow Up By: Member - Tony W (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 16:03

Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 16:03
thanks Sand Man for feed back. Just one other thing total unrelated, checked out your rig, good setup, just wondering why you chose to put boat on camper instead of car as have similar setup and in two minds whether to go racks on camper or car? Biggest concern being on the camper is that continous packing and unpacking, boat will be pain in a?
FollowupID: 406797

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 11:44

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 11:44
Tony,

Firstly, the Battery. I check it at home and it is a USB48 (77Ah) from the US. Can't find the model no. on the Internet so it may be a discontinued model.

The Boat. I have never been a fan of having the boat on the roof of the Car.
I used to carry it on top of the Off Road trailer until I bought the Camper.
The Camper (second hand) already had the boat rack on it and as it lifts up and sideways I can raise it to 90 degrees to open the Campers tent (and leave it there) or lower it all the way (opposite side to the tent) whether the camper is in use or not.

The one downside to this is the need for some portable means of getting the boat to the waters edge, which I do either by clamp on jockey wheels, or a foldable boat trailer. Which one I use depends on how far from the water I have camped. The advantage of either of these two options is that you can set up the boat with the outboard mounted and all the gear inside ready to launch.

With a roof mounted boat, the rack would lower the boat behind the vehicle, then you need to set it up. The vehicle would need to be capable of reversing to the waters edge, unless of course you also used the clamp on jockey wheels. These are OK, depending on the boat. If they can't be securely clamped, they have a tendency to twist sideways in soft sand, or mud, making the exercise very interesting indeed.

Well, that is my experience Tony. The foldable trailers are very handy, but of course, you need to be able to transport them. Mine fastens to the top of the boat rack, before the boat goes on, so that both are raised and lowered at the same time, by means of a manual winch and gas assisted struts.
Bill

FollowupID: 406995

Sponsored Links