Inter-State Truck Driving

Submitted: Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 13:00
ThreadID: 30380 Views:13759 Replies:8 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Hi im only new to this website, and am glad i stubbled over it. Can any one help me in regards to getting into driving inter-state? I have been in Australia for 10 months now and been working for trucking company's driving in the Brisbane and Metro areas, But would like to start drive inter-state, or even in the mines. I have held a Truck licence for almost 7 years in New Zealand which covered dangerous goods, truck trailer and her in Aussie i have a HC. So if you can help me please drop me line.

Cheers
Southpaw
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bega Photographer - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 14:21

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 14:21
G'day Southpaw,

I have a son working as an electrician at Olympic Dam mine in South Australia. There's always work of some kind going there and I understand it's the same in most of those out of the way, big mines.

Big money to be made but it's a hard climate.

He sais I'd get a job driving a dump truck at the quarry. Although I have an HR licence, I'm no truck driver.

There's an employment agency, handles jobs for the mine (BHP). There are also many contractors there who subbie to BHP and would recruit by different means.

If you're interested, I'll find the details for the agency. I think it's Chandler McLeod or something like that. They have a website but only seem to advertise the professional jobs on-line.

If you'd like to e-mail me go to my website at the address below and e-mail from there.

Regards,
Laurie.
Wilderness Landscape Photography
AnswerID: 152727

Reply By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 15:45

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 15:45
Hi Southpaw...

Shouldn't be hard finding work in the interstate game... Most companies are screaming for drivers at the moment. I do a bit of casual work for Jets transport Express. They are not bad to work for, although I only do Melb-Sydney... They have a depot in Qld, might be a place to start otherwise start ringing around...
AnswerID: 152750

Reply By: SteveL - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 15:54

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 15:54
I would be steering away from interstate driving myself, with long hours,poor pay and the cost of living on the road, there is better money to be made elsewhere.
-Steve
AnswerID: 152753

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 17:12

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 17:12
I agree. you will earn more money working for larger companies like Linfox or Tolls,on local & with better conditions!!
Dave
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 406541

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 19:17

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 19:17
I have no first hand knowledge of the local driver industry but... According to the Patricks guy's who come into work, they're on a good wicket for local... $17/hour... That's only $680/40hr week before tax... On average they reckon they're doing 60hrs a week so in my opinion, that equalls long hours for little pay. As a casual for Jets, I clear $450 for a Sydney run. Also living on the road is only expensive if you eat every meal at a truck stop. It's easy to eat well & cheap if you have a fridge and a butane stove. Must say though, interstate isn't something I'd like to do with a family...
FollowupID: 406571

Follow Up By: SteveL - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 19:28

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 19:28
If you are doing depot to depot work and not doing local pick-ups/deliveries and spending unpaid hours waiting, then interstate is OK.
For drivers just starting out this is not usually the case.-Steve
FollowupID: 406573

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 19:45

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 19:45
Good point Steve... In the current climate, you can afford to pick and choose the company by the conditions.
FollowupID: 406576

Follow Up By: Southpaw - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 20:10

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 20:10
Hi Guys, Southpaws wife here Southpaw the second, Yes i agree with some of what you are all saying, Depot to where ever they send you and the long ours of not knowing where your going from one place to another and never knowing what time your going to be home is also another issue i have with Depot to where ever. With Inter-state you know where your going and when your going to be home and how long you will be home. My husband is currently in a situation where we never knows from one day to the next what time he starts or what time he's finished, they ring him when he gets home to tell him what time to start the next morning, working long hours and getting peanuts.

But i thank you for your thoughts and points.

Regards
Southpaw the Second.......
FollowupID: 406579

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 20:40

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 20:40
G'day Mrs Southpaw... I guess it comes down to finding out a bit about a few companies ie. rates/load types/anticipated time away from home... Mr Southpaw should approach the companies like he's looking for something better(and give the impression he thinks they ARE better) and not like he's desperate for work(probably teaching you to suck eggs here)...

Good luck with it all, and take the mine work if you can get it... It definately pays better. Guess that one comes down to how far as a family you guy's are willing to stretch to accomodate that type of work and the distance from home.

Blue
FollowupID: 406588

Follow Up By: Southpaw - Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 00:09

Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 00:09
Hi Blue and thanks for that...and your probably right .....sucking eggs....Its not that he is desperate to find a job.....its finding that right one....the one where you are treated with respect.....and dignity...and im sure all you guys know what im talking about.....we have all been through it one way or another.....i had tried that company that you currently are working with dropped them a copy of his resume...so hope all goes well.....the thing is if he has to wait then he has to wait......ohhh lastly distance is not an issue.....if we had to move then we will move.....

Regards
Mrs Paw
FollowupID: 406648

Follow Up By: 120scruiser - Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 16:23

Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 16:23
Hi Southpaw.
As a casual I earn $25 an hour for local up to Newcastle and then further goes on trip money. I do casual work mostly to Canberra from Sydney. Easy run with fridge trailers. One drop and pick up in same place.
I would suggest you call companies like ID transport as they were advertising for change over drivers. This way you will be home each day with the family but still getting out.
Sydney Melbourne change overs are done mostly at Tarcutta but some do them at Holbrook. Sydney Brisbane change overs are usually done at Clybucca.
Same money as it is usually half way and you can eat at home to save money.
Charter Refrigerated at Blacktown in Sydney are always advertising for drivers and they do country work so you get home each day.
John L Pearce are usually always looking for drivers but that will be interstate. My mate works for them and said they aren't the best but it would be a start.
Scott Refrigerated are always looking for drivers as well. Alot of meat carting for them.
The sky is the limit for driving jobs at the moment.
Toll will take you as they own just about everybody now anyway. I wouldn't work for them as they are screwing the industry, but thats not what the question was.
Just grab a local classified and have a look through.
Cheers
120scruiser
P.S- Don't listen to people who say its a crap job. Its just their opinion. It takes all sorts to make up this world and it would be very boring if we were all the same. I love driving.
FollowupID: 406802

Follow Up By: 120scruiser - Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 16:24

Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 16:24
I forgot to say Freestones are always looking for drivers as well.
FollowupID: 406804

Follow Up By: theshadows - Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 17:44

Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 17:44
Freestone are a good copany but not up at brissy.
JL Pearce only do double drivers ATM.
Charters are a multi drop to most small towns south and north from brissie but they do express to townsville and caines.

shadow
FollowupID: 406820

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 20:30

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 20:30
J.L.Pearce are crap!! & Freestones employ any one who can drive around the block with out killing them selfs both are good places to stay away from!!! Dave.
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 407102

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 20:38

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 20:38
I was talking to some McColls boys today at work... I.D are becoming known as "Roll over transport", perhaps wise to steer clear of them too... And agree with Dave, did one trip for Freestones, place loaded with cowboys and the expectation is there to keep up with them.
FollowupID: 407107

Reply By: Vivid Adventures - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 17:08

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 17:08
I think it would be a matter of calling a mine-site where you wanted to work.

They all have different practices and modes of operating - including open cut vs. underground!

They pretty much all, however, are constantly looking for truck drivers.

There are mines all over Central Qld and Central NSW, NT, WA and some in SA.

You may even find this on SEEK or other job sites on line.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
AnswerID: 152781

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 17:54

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 17:54
Companys over here are screaming for experienced road train side tippers drivers for ore haulage to the mills or any truck drivers for that matter agi drivers etc etc etc starting pay would be al least 1,000 pw +
AnswerID: 152793

Reply By: rickwagupatrol - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 23:12

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 23:12
Gday Mr and Mrs Southpaw. If yu really want to get into interstate driving, then zip on down to the Shell roadhouse in Roclea, or even the B.P. one around the corner.
They are a good place to get some company names of interstate transport companies, then get on the phone and start asking.
However, think long and hard before you do anything. Interstate is a job for those who don't mind being away from the family for a long time,,,up to several weeks if you get a capital city run. Being over east, alot of the companies also run 2-up, so you have to get on with someone you don't know.
It is not a job i recomend to a married bloke, especially if you have kids. What you miss when you are away, can never be gotten back.The wife quite often ends up being independant from you, as she is left to do everything for the family, and all you do is provide a pay cheque.
If you don't like your current job, then start looking for another one, but remember that a person who flits from one place to another soon gets a name for being unable to commit to a company, and everyone simply stops hiring you.

rick.
AnswerID: 152843

Follow Up By: Southpaw - Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 00:04

Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 00:04
Hi Rick,
Thank you very much for that....and yes you are correct in regards to moving from job to job trying to find that right one...you do get a bad name. My husband is a sort of person you treat him right and he will treat you right...you give him bleep it's better he leaves before he hits.....that is just the type of person he is.....But i must admit...he is a very very hard worker....who gives it his best to provide for his family....so i will give him that.....

Regards
Mrs Southpaw
FollowupID: 406646

Reply By: theshadows - Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 02:32

Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 02:32
Hi there SouthPaw getting in is easily turn up at any depot in Rocklea and say I've got a licence and log books. That's all you got to do. A forklift ticket will help as well.
If you are starting out It will be hard getting to know Sydney and Melbourne well. If you think you going to do depot to depot .... forget it your dreaming. You wont even get paid for pick ups. This is very annoying after spending 14 hrs on the road to be told by the depot that have the load is direct to drop in botany when your at blacktown.{That will only add anther 4 hrs on to your day that you wont get to sleep it}.

IF your starting out and want to see if your like it Try.... ID transport. {you must know Fridge for them.} , K.S Easter {Kenny will train you up in Fridge}. K&S transport.{2 weeks away and 2 at home is the norm there}. Ascot Freigters are always wanting drivers {bad news is you will have to go to SA to pick up the truck and you wont be back home again to you quit.} . Troncs are the scum of the earth { $25 flat rate casual. it below the award but some how they find drivers..... just not very good ones.} GR geroge are a good firm as are Mc colls. Booth's are always looking out for drivers { crap pay and they will always be looking for them}.

The better firms that pull singles are are UPSIDE down transport....Lindsay brothers, Simon's, Scott's Fridge at Yatala, Peter Gooding's, Rodger's, Hoepner's, Road master's

If you want just to to local country and be home every morning to bed try Richer's and Charter.

Linfox and Toll subbie 90 percent of the line haul out now so its a waste of time going to them.

Atm I pull linfox trailers for a subbie. I get just over a grand for a 12 hour day monday to friday and I dont have to work week ends. Once a 6 week period I do a 5 day trip to SA and back for $1500 in the hand. So I have a pretty good life and I dont work that hard.

Shadow
AnswerID: 152862

Reply By: micknjoan - Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 16:42

Saturday, Feb 04, 2006 at 16:42
After spending nearly 15 years away from transport I recently started back as a casual for a Brisbane based refrigerated carrier. Compared to the pay & conditions of years ago, I reckon I've died & gone to Heaven. I really don't want or need to put in super long hours but without really trying over a grand a week is the norm for no more than 12 hour days, no weekends and home every night. Younger blokes with MC licences (B Double) and prepared to do more hours and the odd trip away do much better. All this for driving modern, airconditioned 400hp + trucks where the heaviest work is occasionally pushing a pallet jack. I personally wouldn't go back to interstate, but it seems that there is a shortage of drivers. I recently read that the average age of Australia's long distance drivers is 47. If that's true it's a bit of a worry . Mick
AnswerID: 152963

Sponsored Links