Delica - info

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 02:21
ThreadID: 30433 Views:8371 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hiya, I'm considering getting a Delica.

Ok ok stop laughing :-) I know some of you will think its a toy but so far this is the bus that fits the bill (on the face of it) for me and the missus.
We want something for camping/fishing that we can sleep in, but which is an economical daily driver, and capable of getting to quieter places to camp, or onto the beach to fish.

I know with a lokka (only seen for the front - maybe an ARB for the back$$$) and some lift its bound to be pretty fair off road being its a Pajero underneath.
The Challenger has been up to everything we've done so far, and the standard clearance on it is about the same as the Delica (7 inches odd). I'm thinking there is likely to be more addons available for the Delica than the Challa being that they are a Starwagon on top and Pajero underneath.

Have any of you had any in your groups when off road? How did they perform?
What mod's have you heard of for them? Where from? How much? Is the wheel travel better than my 2k Challa with leaf at the back? (they are coil in the back and torsion in the front).

Is the 3L V6 the same engine as in my Challenger? How does the 3L Pajero V6 compare to the 2.8TD Pajero engine's (as thats what they mainly come with).
I've not driven either the petrol or diesel yet, doing that next week.

I've already scoured the DelicaClub website (lots of info there, but um, kinda bias'd - they're completely Delicated to their busses ;-)

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 07:47

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 07:47
My brother-in-law sells 'em and has had good feedback from people who use them for light off road and beach duty....... can't help with mods etc, but I think Wolfie on this forum has/had one.... he would be the man to answer your questions.
AnswerID: 153059

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 07:56

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 07:56
I assume you got my photos okay?

We haven't done any mods to the wagon, doesn't need them. I was toying with the idea of a 40 mm. lift, but never got around to it, and obviously it wasn't that important to me.

The 2.8 diesel is a good motor, enough grunt for what we need, and it tows small trailers okay.

We don't do SERIOUS off road work, but I have seen plenty of evidence that the Delica is up there.

I did remove the side steps a while ago, and found that the radiator for the rear air-cond is under the side entry, and could be subject to stone damage if rock hopping.

I am not sure about BOTH of you sleeping in the rear, too tight for my liking. We just leave all our crap in the rear, and either pitch a small tent, or swag it. This way, we can have all our kitchen stuff accessible from BOTH doors, and not have stuff on the ground.

I reckon just go for it, they are a good bus.

Wolfie
AnswerID: 153063

Follow Up By: t0me (WA) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 10:57

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 10:57
Yup got them, thanks for that Wolfie :-)
Is that the LWB you've got or the SWB? High roof or low? What year, and what model?

Not planning on a lot of rock hopping :-) just getting it wherever the Challenger went, and maybe a bit further if we invest in a locker and lift.
FollowupID: 406984

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 11:17

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 11:17
SWB
Low Roof
Space Gear

Bought it three years ago 70,000 km for $20,000.00 private cash sale.
Now has racked up another 30,000 km.

2.8 Turbo Intercooler
Auto trans with traction control
Super select 4 x 4 with centre diff lock & low range
15 inch chrome mags with Cooper ST's
Tinted windows ( to CIA & Drug Bust specification )
Lots of white dog fur, chip packets, Coles green shopping bags... you get the drill. Sad thing is, is we CAN'T blame it on the kids anymore, they've gone!

Can't tell you much more I'm afraid.

Wolfie
FollowupID: 406991

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 00:34

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 00:34
"We don't do SERIOUS off road work, ....................."

Hey Ian,

What about that big rock you tried to nudge down the mountain at the Murray Bridge 4WD Club's property?

I followed Wolfie around the Club "track" and the Delica surprised quite a few.

Allow me to reminisce:-

A few of the folks on that trip, manhandled the rock (about 2 feet square) out of the way, by sending it down the hill. Well, it headed toward a group of vehicles and people already at the bottom. From the top of the hill it looked like a bunch of "keystone cops" performing their usual antics.

Fortunately, the "boulder" stopped short and everyone continued on their way unhindered and undamaged.

Oh, and Pesty demonstrated how to build and run the biggest campfire witnessed in modern times.

It was a great weekend and the first introduction many of the S.A. ExplorOz forumites had with each other.

None of us have been the same since!
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 407171

Follow Up By: t0me (WA) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 01:56

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 01:56
LOL :-)
FollowupID: 407183

Reply By: madcow - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 19:39

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 19:39
Have a look at this site. It may answer a lot of your queries. He is in our local 4wd club and his rig looks pretty trick!

www.delicaclub.com

Cheers
AnswerID: 153181

Follow Up By: t0me (WA) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 21:48

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 21:48
Cheers Mad, I've been scouring it for info :-)
FollowupID: 407123

Reply By: madcow - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 19:40

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 19:40
Have a look at this site. It may answer a lot of your queries. He is in our local 4wd club and his rig looks pretty trick!

www.delicaclub.com

Cheers

oops I need to read the whole post as you have been there already it seems.
AnswerID: 153182

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 21:34

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 21:34
Go with a Ex Britz Troopy.

Plenty of room, and you wont regret it in yrs time when you do wanna do some more travelling, klms and remote places.

spares also easier to get.

or if you want that style, 4x4 Kombi, the boxy ones, easily sleeps 2 in the back, adn if you go with the camper conversion in em, you can have kitchen and all in there.
AnswerID: 153212

Follow Up By: t0me (WA) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 22:41

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 22:41
Both sensible suggestions Truckster thankyou. The Troopy is going to get a good look over I think. The missus hates the look of them, and they are a heck of a lot more expensive to run fuel wise (from what I understand), but there's no doubt they would be easier to get bits for.

We don't want half of whats in a camper conversion, we're just trying to avoid putting up a tent and taking it down every day.

Can you put a raised (double) bed (storage underneath) in an 80 series?
Can you put something like a folding bed arrangement and still have seating (legal/comfortable) for 4?

I'm going to have to find a few and take a tapemeasure to them :-)
FollowupID: 407141

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 23:14

Sunday, Feb 05, 2006 at 23:14
The missus will have to get over it lol

what about a Jackaroo with the seats removed, and a board in its place with a materess on top?

Single pole tents only take 5 mins to put up.. a 9x9 will set you back under $300 in canvas... they arent that much hassle.

>>>Can you put a raised (double) bed (storage underneath) in an 80 series?
anything can be done. remove all seats apart from drivers and passengers and go with it.

>> Can you put something like a folding bed arrangement and still have seating (legal/comfortable) for 4?
So now its 4 people, not 2?
FollowupID: 407157

Follow Up By: t0me (WA) - Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 01:55

Monday, Feb 06, 2006 at 01:55
Its options mate, ya never know when the in-laws or mates will drop by. We aren't planning to have 2 cars if we can avoid it, this will want to be a comfortable and reasonably economical daily driver too.

With a LWB Delica from the measurements I've taken its a walk though from front to back, and enough room to have the second row of seats turned around (they rotate and slide forward) and a full double bed still made up. Its about the same length as a troopie but with the front seats that much further forward its got a lot more room in the back.

Its a 2.8L turbo diesel or 3L v6 both are around the same to run as I'm paying now with the 3L V6 challanger. The diesel having the advantage of the longer lasting engine, and being able to have a jerry can inside the vehicle safely (is that right?).

We've got a good pop up tent, takes about 20 minutes for camp to be setup, assuming we can get the pegs into the ground.

When we do head off for some touring, we want the convenience of being able to just pull up anywhere and go to sleep, without being busted for "putting up a structure" in an inappropiate spot.

So far the only vehicle's of a suitable size, thats in the right money range, would be a troopie or a Delica.

The only other thing is that we defintely want an Auto, (the missus needs it if we're gonna share driving ever) and I've yet to find an Auto troopie on Autotrader (better have another look tho :-)

The Jack's not really in the running, its the same length as the Challenger I believe (and about the same off road as the Delica and Challenger anyway) so it wouldnt offer any extra room AFAIK.

FollowupID: 407182

Sponsored Links